Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When are you buying your Christmas tree?

Options
  • 22-11-2020 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭

Talking to s fella yesterday who sells freshly cut trees and some people have started to buy them already :confused:

*Still more than a month away from Christmas!

I'm thinking pine needle all over the carpet and a withered tree long before Christmas even starts :cool:

Maybe they put them outside in water for a few weeks before taking them into the house for decorating?

When are you buying/putting up your Christmas tree?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

As soon as I hear the first spunker on the street singing "twas Christmas Eve babe..." I know its time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭RayCon

There's a house around to the corner from me with their decorations already up. Christmas tree in the window, house covered in outdoor lights .... it's November :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Usually the weekend but one before Christmas and then leave in the garage for a couple of days if it has been raining before moving it into the house and decorating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Munsterman12

I've noticed a lot of people this year are not bothering with the whole tree thing. Instread they are decorating a tree outside their home in the belief it will ward off any evil spirits.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I’ve seen two houses local to me with decorations up for a week now. Not my cup of tea, but they’re harming no-one.

I’ll probably put them up the night of the Toy Show. There’s been times I’ve been lazy and didn’t bother until a week before Xmas, but I’ve been trying to put the effort in the past few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I've noticed a lot of people this year are not bothering with the whole tree thing. Instread they are decorating a tree outside their home in the belief it will ward off any evil spirits.

I may just sacrifice a goat and paint the front door in blood just in case the first born are next.

🙈🙉🙊

To.quote ian paisley

Never
    Never
    Never

We have a 10 year old fake tree,dont see point in getting a real one?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

We have a 10 year old fake tree,dont see point in getting a real one?

Same here although ours is about twenty years old, as are the lights.

Tree and decorations going up after the 8th of December, probably later seeing as Christmas doesn't start until the 25th.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

No need to, as I have an artificial tree

I think the question is more “when are you putting up your Christmas decorations” than “when are you buying a real Christmas tree”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭spurshero

I see a couple up near where I live . I think some people are putting them up early this year to give themselves something to look forward too after such a gloomy year

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭False Prophet

Should be a law that you cant put Xmas decorations up till month of December.

I think the question is more “when are you putting up your Christmas decorations” than “when are you buying a real Christmas tree”.

Question stays the same as per post #1.
    I'm really curious as to when people are buying real trees as I think it too early, seeing as real trees will shed their pine needles long before Christmas has started!

I'm really curious as to when people are buying real trees as I think it too early, seeing as real trees will shed their pine needles long before Christmas has started!

My bad. I thought the line “When are you buying/putting up your Christmas tree?” was more general. I hereby retract my answer as I have an artificial tree, and wouldn’t want to skew your pine needle research.

I think the same thing will happen with these early tree buyers as happened to the early pumpkin buyers who bought their pumpkins three or four weeks too early :)

Then they had to buy a second one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,746 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Not bothering.
    Xmas decorations here are so tacky, they haven't improved much since the 70s.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Not bothering.
    Xmas decorations here are so tacky, they haven't improved much since the 70s.
    Thats because you are still using your ones from the 70s. If you have a chance when the shops open again you will see the massive improvement in standard of decorations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

There is a house in Kilnamanagh, near Kingswood Luas stop - I think the estate is called Tamarisk Way... and their outdoor lights are unbelievable. Not as unbelievable as their post-Christmas ESB bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Artificial tree. Middle of December up, 6/7th of January down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

.anon. wrote: »
    There is a house in Kilnamanagh, near Kingswood Luas stop - I think the estate is called Tamarisk Way... and their outdoor lights are unbelievable. Not as unbelievable as their post-Christmas ESB bill.
    I know the one.

Even Clark Griswold would think that's a bit over the top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just organised the wherewithal to order a small artificial tree I saw online and THEY ARE OUT OF STOCK.

Back to the googling! Am secluded via covid.

Not had one for a while as my old one got lost in a move but really wanted it now.

It will go up on Advent 2 if I get it.

There is a house in Kilnamanagh, near Kingswood Luas stop - I think the estate is called Tamarisk Way... and their outdoor lights are unbelievable. Not as unbelievable as their post-Christmas ESB bill.[/QUOTE

When I lived in Kerry, I was out early when it was still dark to get to Christmas Craft Fairs at weekends.
    Down narrow lanes through forestry etc.

One such day I thought there must be a dreadful accident ahead as through the dark trees flashing blue lights and I slowed down..

A neighbour had draped his roof and the front of the house with ropes of flashing blue lights that he clearly was leaving on all night. No other houses in sight and almost no traffic.

This year though lights would be very comforting.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

They wont if you follow my advice.

I usually buy the tree a few days before I put it up which is always December 8th.

The morning I put it up I will cut 2 or 3 inches off the bottom of the trunk.

Then stand it in water straight away.

Top up with water every few days - make sure it doesn't dry out.

The tree will last the 4 weeks then til taken down on Jan 6th.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Its my daughter's birthday on the 29th and we traditionally get our tree the day after, and decorate it on the 1st. Will be doing the same this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Greyfox

keano_afc wrote: »
    Its my daughter's birthday on the 29th and we traditionally get our tree the day after, and decorate it on the 1st. Will be doing the same this year.

You mean you buy a tree more than once a decade.. madness i say. Personally id rather walk around town barefoot than go shopping for a xmas tree or decorations

Greyfox wrote: »
    You mean you buy a tree more than once a decade.. madness i say. Personally id rather walk around town barefoot than go shopping for a xmas tree or decorations

Decorations here are home made and lovely. Bells and angels.. and a few I have had for literally decades..

WISH I had an outdoor nativity.. WISH!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

I’m nearly sure ESB cover the bill for them. Or some authority

Advertisement