Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British Army Barracks in Letterkenny

Options
  • 15-09-2020 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭

A question for all the local historians. I've seen pictures of an old BA barracks in Letterkenny, near the workhouse and the location of the present fire station, but there seems to be no information about it. Google only returns results for Rockhill and Finner. I assume it was closed sometime soon after WW1.
    Thanks in advance for any information.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

No barracks on the 25" os map from 1900ish. There is an area marked Camp where Sprackburn Drive is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Thanks for the info. May have been a temporary camp during the WW1 or the War of Independence I suppose. These are the pictures I was going on.
    Love the title of the second one!

Barracks.jpg

Barracks2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

The first pic matches the 25" map exactly, this is the Camp marked in Letterkenny. The second pic is the view of the asylum now Conals hospital, from that camp.

I see cannon in the 2nd one, there was a Donegal Artillery militia regiment until 1909.

Advertisement