Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worried about my boyfriend

• 16-08-2016 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I'm really worried about my boyfriend, I feel like he's falling apart and there's nothing I can do to stop it. I think one of the biggest problems is his job and his work/life balance or lack thereof – he's not an employee at his job, he's a contractor and is paid by the hour, so apart from Christmas he never takes holidays and he never calls in sick because if he does then he doesn't get paid. It's a busy job as well, he regularly works late and sometimes even does weekends if they have a big job to finish, and he has a long commute because he lives in the next county so it's not unusual for him to not get home until ten or half ten, basically he's just wrecked tired all the time and never gets a break.

He also feels cut off from his friends. He's mid/late 30s and feels like most of his friends have moved on – some have literally moved to different parts of the country or abroad so he doesn't see them an awful lot, and others have got married or had a child and just aren't able to meet up as frequently. I know that's a normal part of life and that things change, but I think he feels left behind in some ways. It doesn't help that he has this crazy busy job so it's not as if he's got time for hobbies or to make more friends. I think that he feels like he's stuck in a rut and that his life is going nowhere, and that he regrets some of the choices that he's made (such as his career direction).

As for our relationship, I don't know what to think. The first signs that things were going wrong with us specifically was when he lost interest in sex, I think it's been nearly three months since we last had sex. At first he just said he was tired from work etc and wasn't in the mood, but after a few weeks of me trying to initiate and him turning me down I got upset about it because I thought he wasn't attracted to me anymore. He assured me that it wasn't that and he has always found me attractive, but he just didn't feel like it and feels like his sex drive has just gone completely. He went to the doctor about it and had his testosterone levels etc checked and they're fine, he was just given some vitamin D tablets for some reason. Anyway I've tried my best to be understanding about it, he's still very affectionate and when he stays over we still cuddle and stuff but I have just been giving him space in terms of sex.

In the last month or so though everything else seems to have gone wrong with our relationship too. He told me that it just doesn't feel right to him somehow, and he doesn't think that he can give me what I want and that I deserve better. On the other hand though he doesn't want to lose me and says I'm the best thing that's happened to him in years, and he wants me to be part of his life. I just don't know what to make of any of it. I don't know if it's just because he's down at the moment anyway and that everything feels wrong, meaning that our relationship is being affected by him pushing me away, or if I should just take what he said at face value and assume our relationship has no future and just cut my losses now.

I want to help him because it's hard seeing him suffer so much, it's like he thinks he's a failure and has just given up on life, but there's only so much I can do. I've suggested going back to the doctor and talking about how he's feeling, I've looked up affordable counselling, I've suggested updating his CV and looking for other jobs – but I can only make suggestions, I can't actually do any of it for him. I've encouraged him to reach out to his friends, because he needs to talk to people – the ones he has spoken to don't seem like much use though, one of them gave the helpful advice of “You need to sort your life out mate”. He has a friend who lives in Scotland now who has invited him to come and stay for a bit just to get away from it all, but he's even throwing up obstacles there about how he doesn't want to impose because they have a baby.

And to be honest, this is really affecting me as well. I do really respect that he's being so honest with me about his feelings, but it really hurts being told that something doesn't feel right, even though he's tried emphasising that it's nothing that I've done wrong and he says I've been wonderful. The thing is that we get on so well, when we first met we clicked almost instantly and time seems to speed up when we're talking, like I might call him for a quick chat before bed and somehow it turns into a two hour conversation. He has said that meeting me was like his life going from black & white into colour. But I just don't see how we can just go from being in a relationship to being friends, I can't just switch off my feelings, and I've told him that. I mean, how would that even work? It'll be painful for me to let go because I love him but it'll be even worse trying to stick around as a pseudo-girlfriend. I asked him how he expects that to even work and he said he doesn't know. I asked him what would happen when I meet someone else, and he actually cried at the thought of it. My feelings are all over the place, in some ways I'm exasperated and I want to tell him to cop on and just get some help because I'm not qualified to do this, and on the other hand I want to try fixing it all for him even though logically I know that I can't. My head is absolutely wrecked. And even if he does get help, say he goes to counselling, it's not as if it's going to be a quick fix, it'll take time. Say we did stay together and I supported him through it, I can't even guarantee that his feelings will come back, I know you can't force stuff like that. I just don't know what to do.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

In the last month or so though everything else seems to have gone wrong with our relationship too. He told me that it just doesn't feel right to him somehow, and he doesn't think that he can give me what I want and that I deserve better.

I think you have your answer right there unfortunately. And if you're honest with yourself, are you currently even in a functional relationship with him? It doesn't sound like it, given that you don't have sex and I imagine hardly even see him given how much he works.

He's being awful not just giving you a straight answer though. All that flip flopping (implying he wants to break up, but then crying at the thoughts of you being with someone else) has a touch of emotional blackmail to it.

You've spent the majority of your post expressing your worries about your boyfriend, but have focused very little about how all of this is effecting you. You seriously need to ask yourself:
    What do YOU want?
    Are YOU happy?

I could be wrong, but I think the answer is that you need to get out of this so-called relationship. I've been a similar situation before and trust me, you'll both be much better off without each other in the long run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭squonk

I think he needs to quit his job. I've worked for a while in that kind of a situation and it's extremely draining, mentally and physically. What starts off as an inkling that he can't be there for you as much as he'd like could snowball into a feeling that he can't really see where you are going and that something is wrong.

Maybe he'd have fallen out of the relationship anyway if he wasn't working such long hours and you need to be prepared for that possibility.

You have to consider though that if he's working long hours and working through illness that it's taking a huge toll on his body and well being. I don't think it's too surprising that his interest in sex would wane when that happens. If you're scraping the bottom of the barrell energy wise, you mightn't notice it otherwise but interest in sex can wane.

He really needs to just pack in that job and take some time out. He'll need months really. Only then will you really know where you are. If he's unwilling to put the rest of his life before his job right now though then I'm afraid you're fighting a losing battle OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

squonk wrote: »
    If he's unwilling to put the rest of his life before his job right now though then I'm afraid you're fighting a losing battle OP.

I agree with this part completely. It sounds like he has already made his choice to prioritise work over everything else...

• Registered Users Posts: 4 boyfriendworry

He feels trapped in his job and doesn't see a way out. It's quite a niche area and he chose it in college because he enjoyed it, but I think the enjoyment has long gone in it for him. Because it is quite niche it's not very easy to just switch jobs, as there are only a few places where he could be employed. I've suggested moving sideways into something similar but then he says he'd be starting from the bottom again and wouldn't earn as much, and he says the same thing about retraining as something else. He's not particularly well paid either, I earn more than he does and I'm in a salaried job. He wants to buy a house, that's been his goal for a long time, and he's saved up quite a bit but it's not enough as house prices are rising faster than he can save. And he can't really move even further out where house prices would be cheaper because he's so restricted by where he can work in his industry. He's said if he could go back in time fifteen years and tell his past self to choose another career path he would. So yeah I can understand how it's having an effect on his mental health and his sex drive, I feel like I'm watching him come apart at the seams. He's so exhausted some weekends that he spends most of Saturday asleep, I'll ask him how his day went and he'll say he stayed in bed until 4pm. He has been looking for new jobs and has updated his portfolio but he hasn't found anything yet.

No, I don't feel like I'm in a functional relationship with him right now but I've been hanging on in the hope that things would get better. Maybe I'm just being delusional. We mostly just see each other on weekends because he's so busy during the week. I don't think he's trying to manipulate or emotionally blackmail me, he's just confused. Like he got upset at the thought of me being with someone else, which made absolutely no sense to me because he's said that I deserve better, which sounds like he's saying I deserve a better boyfriend than him? I think he just hadn't thought about the actual reality of it. I said to him that if we break up I'm going to have to cut contact for a while so I can get my head straight and get over it, probably for a couple of months at least, and maybe we can be friends in the future but I can't switch to being just his friend overnight.

He says that he's angry with himself and he doesn't know why he's not feeling it, because he really wants to. He says that I'm everything he wants so he can't understand why it just doesn't feel right. We get on really well, we want the same things, so what is actually wrong? He can't explain it because he doesn't know. But like I said before you can't force yourself to feel something.

And no, I'm not happy. This has been really hard on me. I'm not sleeping very well at the moment – I think I got about two hours' sleep last night and I couldn't face work this morning so I called in sick, I feel a bit guilty about it because I'm not actually sick and it's not something I'd normally do. I just don't know what to do. I don't know if I should stick it out a bit longer in the hope that things will improve, or if I'm just setting myself up for more pain later as I prolong things. I don't know why but my instinct is to fight for him and to try to get him some help, but maybe that's stupid. I just feel like I can't abandon him when he's having such a rough time. He supported me when I was having a hard time (bereavement though, so it was a bit different).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Sound Bite

How long are the two of you together?

• Advertisement

Sound Bite wrote: »
    How long are the two of you together?

Almost a year and a half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Smondie

You say things like he's going nowhere in life. To work such long hours and then to be nagged about how crap you are doing and having no mates. They not exactly supportive or encouraging words.

What's the crack with the conversations about you being with some one else? This is nothing to do with your current relationship. You either want to be with him or not, and visa versa. it's like you are using it as some sort of emotional blackmail. No one can tell what would happen if you broke up.

Are you saving towards this house too? As for you taking sick days at work you need to sort yourself out before you look at sorting your boyfriend out.

I'm not telling him that's he's crap and going nowhere in life, or that he has no friends. These are things he's said to me about how he's feeling, and I don't think that they're true.

I brought up the possibility of me being with someone else purely because he was saying that I deserve better than him, but also seemed to want me in his life exactly how I am now but without the relationship stuff. I was just saying that this wouldn't work, especially if I met someone else. It only came up once in our conversations, it's not like every time we talk I'm saying that I could get with someone else. Of course I want to be with him, I just don't know what he wants and it's confusing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,903 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I'd be worried about this chaps mental well being, it sounds like to me he's becoming depressed, he may need help with this, his job certainly isn't helping. Would he allow you to help him look for another job?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I don't know whether your long term plans are with each other or whether money is so tight that he feels he can't stop working.
    However, the job will be there for him if he was to take two weeks off. You both need to separate yourselves from the situation together, it can't keep going like this.
    He will probably be against the idea but maybe explain to him that he will burn himself out before long.
    Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭daithi7

Op,
    Firstly, Your boyfriend is lucky to have you.

Secondly, there is absolutely no point in you w worrying yourself sick. There is only so much any of us can do for others, after that they have to help themselves. You need to realise this and keep your head and health together as priority number one now. Taking sickies from work is not a good thing. Keep yourself together.

Your boyfriend needs to cop on pronto. He's working himself to burn out for a job that is not permanent, does not pay well and looks like a total dead end. Read that sentence again, now tell me why would anyone work themselves to a stand still for a job like this!?!

I've been this soldier, once upon a time . I've been in your boyfriend's shoes, a long, long time ago so I can empathise, but I still shudder at what it felt like. it's a horrible place to be for both of ye. He's kidding himself thinking that he can make that job /career work, he needs to face facts. Also it's pretty clear he's now suffering from exhaustion, burn out and depression. Nothing is worth that, nothing. The fact that he is beginning to fall apart at home is the real sign this has gone too far, for too long.

For me, I quit that job, took a summer off, went back and did a masters in an area I wanted to work in, and never looked back. I hope your boyfriend can do something similar. He needs to quit that job, take since time off work (like 6-8 weeks if feasible) , get his mojo back and then either get a new better job or else retrain to work in a better line of work.

Your only role in this is to support him and help him to face facts. You have to decide yourself how much you can take off this.

I would put it up to him to face facts and help get his life in order, but at the end of the day, he must be the one to do this. Hopefully he will. I feel for ye, I remember how horrible it was to be in that situation but there is hope if he can face up to reality and go about changing his circumstances. Good luck!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭squonk

Show your boyfriend this thread. Yeah, he may be pissed off at first that you've gone to Boards to discuss your relationship but, once the dust settles, he might see that there is a lot of good advice here as well as home truths being aired. Once he can read and digest all of this it might give him pause for thought. Also, it's maybe easier to dismiss opinions coming from you but if he sees the kind of consensus here, it may help.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Feel

OP, please take care of yourself and don’t show him this thread. I have cut your first post short, where you have given yourself many answers.
    … I feel like he's falling apart and there's nothing I can do to stop it …
    basically he's just wrecked tired all the time and never gets a break …
    He also feels cut off from his friends ...
    but I think he feels left behind in some ways …,
    and that he regrets some of the choices that he's made …
    he lost interest in sex …
    He told me that it just doesn't feel right to him somehow, and he doesn't think that he can give me what I want and that I deserve better. On the other hand though he doesn't want to lose me and says I'm the best thing that's happened to him in years, and he wants me to be part of his life …
    it's like he thinks he's a failure and has just given up on life, but there's only so much I can do. …
    I can only make suggestions, I can't actually do any of it for him. …
    this is really affecting me as well. ...
    I want to tell him to cop on and just get some help because I'm not qualified to do this

It sounds as if his problems have not much to do with you OP but affect the relationship badly and YOU. I'm wondering if he is he running away from living something with working so much. But he is the one who can change his situation not you and you know that. The past is often affecting us more than we are aware of. You are not there to bring colour in his black and white life. He seems not to accept that he is how he is in a way and that there is no need to compare and to have no fun, to become discouraged and to feel lost.

Please look after your own mental health first, I think you have already tried to help him and pointed out possibilities to change his job situation and to contact friends and his GP, you suggested counselling but you are not responsible for this crisis. My alarm bells were ringing when you said that he said you deserve better. This is putting a lot of pressure on you and unfair. Are you worried that he is too much in distress? Then please phone a helpline and get yourself help to create more distance.

Advertisement