Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

State exams Nov 2020

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Surely all of the exams will have at least one student sitting them, other than maybe some of the ordinary/foundation level papers, or really niche ones like the non-curricular languages?
    Maybe a few of the junior cert/cycle subjects won't have anyone alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭LW2018

RealJohn wrote: »
    Surely all of the exams will have at least one student sitting them, other than maybe some of the ordinary/foundation level papers, or really niche ones like the non-curricular languages?
    Maybe a few of the junior cert/cycle subjects won't have anyone alright.

I'm hoping for some Junior Cycle papers to see what was to be that year but again, may be more unlikely

I figure the ones I’m interested in are reasonably likely to be sat by at least one candidate, but I suppose I can’t be sure of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Anybody take a photo, or come across a photo, of yesterday’s History HL paper? Nobody sitting it in our school so the exam person didn’t get a copy of it sent to the school. Also, strange how there doesn’t seem to be any newspaper reviewing this week’s LC exam papers, even if there are only 1000 or so people sitting them. It would be of interest to teachers and current students.

Here’s the publication schedule for putting the exams on Examinations.ie, although it doesn’t say what time on Monday:

https://examinations.ie/misc-doc/BI-EX-64355925.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

gaiscioch wrote: »
    Anybody take a photo, or come across a photo, of yesterday’s History HL paper? Nobody sitting it in our school so the exam person didn’t get a copy of it sent to the school. Also, strange how there doesn’t seem to be any newspaper reviewing this week’s LC exam papers, even if there are only 1000 or so people sitting them. It would be of interest to teachers and current students.

Here’s the publication schedule for putting the exams on Examinations.ie, although it doesn’t say what time on Monday:

I'd imagine normally newspaper reviews are done by contacting their usual list of contacts for each subject area. With so few doing each exam and the exams taking place in the evening it's likely that most teachers haven't actually seen the exams to comment on them. There's a LC thread running on reddit at the moment and some leaving certs posted photographs of exams they had taken so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

There's a LC thread running on reddit at the moment and some leaving certs posted photographs of exams they had taken so far.

Can’t find that; the layout of that website is beyond me so I must be looking in the wrong place:

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheLeavingCert/search?q=Leaving%20cert%202020%20history&restrict_sr=1

gaiscioch wrote: »

I'm also looking for the HL History paper!! Looks like I will have to wait until next Monday unfortunately. I want to see the DBQ that appeared!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Thanks for this link. I will keep an eye on this website to see if there are anymore uploaded. I've been keeping the spare papers in school for the other departments. I wonder what the uptake on Junior Cycle is

• Registered Users Posts: 48,140 ✭✭✭✭km79

Those long questions are delightful
    My students would have probably scored to the higher end of their potential :(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭soso02

km79 wrote: »
    Those long questions are delightful
    My students would have probably scored to the higher end of their potential :(

I think the biology paper looks awful and am glad I didn't chose to sit it.
    I did sit the two English papers today and in a year of 100 students, 2 sat it . It was a grand paper though (Boland :) )
    2 more to go..
    Quite a sobering end to secondary school but don't think I envy the current sixth years.
    There were more comprehensive post mortems carried out for the JC exams ! Everything to do with sixth year has been so anticlimactic
    It's a joke our earned grades will be held to the same regard as the calculated ones.

No option to even select junior cert/cycle papers. Are there no adult learners actually sitting the exams, or are the papers top secret?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

No option to even select junior cert/cycle papers. Are there no adult learners actually sitting the exams, or are the papers top secret?

I know for sure there are some early school leavers sitting the JC. Perhaps they are waiting until they are over to put them all up?
    **edit. I see they (JC exams) are over. No idea what the delay is.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Purefrank128

spurious wrote: »
    I know for sure there are some early school leavers sitting the JC. Perhaps they are waiting until they are over to put them all up?
    **edit. I see they (JC exams) are over. No idea what the delay is.

The JC papers will not be released. See attached from SEC website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

Balls. Wanted to see the Irish jc paper to see how tough they made it first time out.

“... for future contingency purposes”.
    Translation: we’ll use them next year, and save any extra money the chief examiners usually make for writing papers.

Smacruairi wrote: »
    Balls. Wanted to see the Irish jc paper to see how tough they made it first time out.

This is really what I wanted to see too. I had presumed that we would see the Junior Cycle papers once they had been sat by a cohort. Bit frustrating

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

“... for future contingency purposes”.
    Translation: we’ll use them next year, and save any extra money the chief examiners usually make for writing papers.

That's the thing though, because of the idiotic 'common level' papers they are bringing in in lots of subjects, the 2020 HL and OL in many subjects will not be used again.

The Chief Examiners do not write the papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

That's the thing though, because of the idiotic 'common level' papers they are bringing in in lots of subjects, the 2020 HL and OL in many subjects will not be used again.

Lots won't be used but they can't just publish some of them. Any of the 'new' papers would have to be rewritten and chief setter fees etc. paid again.

Some of them do.
    You’re right about the papers though. Any subject that’s in its last junior cert year might as well be released.

• Advertisement
Advertisement