Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Partner lying about whereabouts on night out

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭PressRun

His story sounds absurd, tbh. I'd go with your gut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

Tbh OP, between his battery dying, and arriving home from town at 5am....... Something is up. That sounds very fishy to me.

It's good that you posted here because as a previous poster said, when these things happen, you constantly question yourself and wonder if it's normal behaviour and perhaps you are overreacting etc., but when you seek an outsiders opinion, you realise that actually, it's not normal behaviour and you are not overreacting!

I do not believe for a second that any man who is in a relationship would walk around town with a random woman for 2 hours until 5am 'looking for her hotel'. Unfortunately I believe he is lying, and if I were you I would trust my gut on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

PressRun wrote: »
    His story sounds absurd, tbh. I'd go with your gut.

I'd agree. If this woman was indeed out drinking alone in a pub while her partner and kids were in a hotel, and she couldn't remember where she was staying, wouldn't she have rung her partner??? Everyone has mobile phones these days. More to the point, wouldn't her partner have been wondering where she was at that hour of the morning if she had headed out alone? OP, you definitely don't have anywhere near the truth, whether you chose to sit your partner now and tell him the trust is gone and he needs to start speaking up is your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

I don't believe a word of his story OP, which is why your spidey senses were tingling the moment it was spun, even though you’d had a loving and trusting relationship up to this point. The problem now of course, is that the moment has passed, and if you try to revisit this with him it will be all too easy for him to accuse you of “dragging up the past”, “obsessing over something small” or “looking for trouble”.

I’m not sure what to tell you. If it was me, I’d probably say something like:

“Look about that night. I know you’re lying to me. Not sure about what aspect, or how many aspects, or what the extent of your betrayal was, but don’t for a second think you have fooled me into buying your long winded and ill concocted tale of dying batteries, lost women and a hotel next door. If you cheated, or did something inappropriate, now’s the time to come clean. If you’re going to stick to your story, then that’s fine, but because I can’t believe it, the trust is gone.”

It should take itself naturally from there.

I guess the obvious question is was his battery actually dead? Wouldn't have been hard to find out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

Basil3 wrote: »
    I guess the obvious question is was his battery actually dead? Wouldn't have been hard to find out.

Easy to switch a phone off and claim it was though..
    Sorry op, I don't believe his tale either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

wouldn't believe his story either. But I do think that's no longer the issue.
    I was in a similar situation a long long time ago, and it ended being a decision between what i could accept and b) would i ever trust him again.
    The fact that the answer to b was a resounding no ended the relationship.

tupenny wrote: »

Yeah. It's also easy to check whether their phone is actually flat when they come home at 5am and charge it. More reliable than going with your gut, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Basil3 wrote: »
    tupenny wrote: »

Yeah. It's also easy to check whether their phone is actually flat when they come home at 5am and charge it. More reliable than going with your gut, anyway.

This advice is useless to the OP, he arrived home months ago

GingerLily wrote: »
    This advice is useless to the OP, he arrived home months ago

It wasn't advice, it was a question. My advice is based on the answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Yellow pack crisps

Op, has anything changed about your relationship in the weeks or months before this night or after this night? Gut feelings can be right and they can also be wrong.

Perhaps he is telling the truth and told you some lame story while he was drunk and being questioned and could have just panicked.

Trust in a relationship is one of the most important components of one and in closing it will give you the answer you need.

Honestly what happened your bf has happened me a few times in my lifetime without me ever cheating. Struck up conversations with some women and at closing time insisted I walked them home or to a taxi and I have never had any intentions of cheating as it's just a good trait of mine to be a Good Samaritan.

The world can be a cynical place at times and can ruin good relationships over nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

leggo wrote: »
    You're going to start doing mental things now, asking about the hotel was just the start. Like when you started this story, that 'bad feeling' alone was indication there was a slight trust issue and his actions just exacerbated this. This is eating you up and trying to force a relationship where the trust is gone just makes the lives of everyone involved worse. Might be time to bite the bullet, or at least have the start of that conversation and see if the actual truth comes out then gauge if you can work through it.

No, the 'bad feeling' was because her partner was in fact lying to her. There is a trust issue here alright - trustworthiness and it's nothing to do with the OP. trying to paint her as being at fault because she knew he lying is unfair. She has said that she has never questioned his whereabouts or actions in the past
    Augme wrote: »
    A few things that jumped out at me

Why did he lie to you in the first place? To me it's a big worry that he felt the need to lie and that he pretty much knew you wouldn't trust him or his story. That doesn't really say a huge amount about your relationship in the first place. You claim you trust him, are easy going and don't get jealous but I struggle to believe that from what you have written.

I honestly find it strange that when your husband tells you a story your immediate reaction is to believe he's lying. Really does seem like there are a lot of fundamental problems is this relationship. At this stage I think the question of whether is cheated or not isn't that important.

Again, he was lying so the OP was right. It's pretty obvious why he would lie, I honestly find it strange that you would jump straight into making the OP doubt herself rather than the obvious probability that he cheated.

I'd say the grain of truth in his story is the woman and the hotel but I highly doubt it happened as he claims. He probably got worried he'd been spotted with this girl so he covered himself by making up the story.

I think the advice from pookie82 above is spot on. Be prepared though for even more drip feeding as he tells you the next version of the 'truth'

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Willie Stroker 1976

OP it would be interesting to get your take on some of advice given by others? I defo don't think his story adds up and for those saying there was clearly trust issues and giving the OP hassle for the lack of trust, go back to your perfect little worlds :) If I came in at 5am even though there is trust in my relationship I would defo expect my other half to raise questions, it sounds like something that would happen in a movie tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    No, the 'bad feeling' was because her partner was in fact lying to her. There is a trust issue here alright - trustworthiness and it's nothing to do with the OP. trying to paint her as being at fault because she knew he lying is unfair. She has said that she has never questioned his whereabouts or actions in the past

I haven't questioned the OP once. :confused:

From the start of it I was on her side. My point in the quote you've used is that once the trust has been breached, it's going to eat her alive and she's going to start doing mental things if she allows that mistrust to fester. I'm not 'blaming' her, in fact in one of the first posts I said I didn't think she was overthinking. But she doesn't, and may never, know what actually happened that night, so she can't go in all guns blazing without any hard evidence. But the need for evidence doesn't matter, the trust is gone and that's all that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mada82

Is it possible that he was in the company of a woman and yes he wanted to do something in that moment but for whatever reason it didn't happen and now regrets it. Hence the lies.

I doubt "I was with a woman until 5am got pissed and cheating was on my mind but we didn't" would go down too well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭Augme

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Again, he was lying so the OP was right. It's pretty obvious why he would lie, I honestly find it strange that you would jump straight into making the OP doubt herself rather than the obvious probability that he cheated.

I'd say the grain of truth in his story is the woman and the hotel but I highly doubt it happened as he claims. He probably got worried he'd been spotted with this girl so he covered himself by making up the story.

I'm wondering why he didn't use the story about the women being lost the first time. That strikes me as strange. As for your second point about him being worried about being spotted, again if that was the case it strikes me as strange he didn't use the story about being lost with the woman the first time.

While I'm here I might as point out that if he did cheat and then a month later he walked past the hotel/bar he cheated while with his wife and said "There's the bar I meet that woman that night last month" he's probably the dumbest person alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Yellow pack crisps

mada82 wrote: »
    Is it possible that he was in the company of a woman and yes he wanted to do something in that moment but for whatever reason it didn't happen and now regrets it. Hence the lies.

I doubt "I was with a woman until 5am got pissed and cheating was on my mind but we didn't" would go down too well.

It's possible he knelt down and hit his head of his knee and forgot where he was and what he was doing and manufactured a lie because he couldn't remember what he was doing. Anything is possible. The Op knows her BF better than anyone here and should really use her own judgement to figure out if he is lying or not or if he is the type to cheat. The answer will lie in that.

Advertisement