Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Short Torrential shower here in kildare out of the blue. Went as quick as it came

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Thought that forecast was a joke until I checked met.ie.... Honestly I did!

Deluge out here.... what miserable weeks...drip, drip, spatter batter...

west mayo offshore haven

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Status Yellow - Snow-ice warning for Connacht, Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal, Longford and Louth

Falls of hail and sleet will occur with snow accumulations mainly on high ground. Lying snow in places below 250 meters. Icy patches.

Valid: Tuesday 02 April 2019 00:01 to Wednesday 03 April 2019 12:00

Issued: Monday 01 April 2019 11:00

Updated: Monday 01 April 2019 11:00
    Maybe they mean lying snow in places above 250 meters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

A real look of thunder yesterday and today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

A very loud rumble of thunder over Ashbourne. Scared the shít out of me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Looks like a bit of a squall line has developed over Kildare running up to Meath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Is this the 3rd or later year we’ve had ridiculously cold starts to spring?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

sryanbruen wrote: »
    March is looking like a wetter than average month largely dominated by Atlantic depressions driven by a stronger than average jet stream which is the culmination of a very organised Polar Vortex. Maybe on the relatively cool side but nothing exceptional. Possibility of something warmer/drier later on could offset the fairly cool conditions.

I feel April will be a dry month for most with high pressure returning bringing warmer conditions too. Maybe not quite April 2017 dry standard but dry enough away from possibly the northwest where there could be some rain at times from the jet stream close by.

Very happy with the March forecast as it was pretty much on the ball besides maybe a bit milder than anticipated though did mention the possibility of warmer weather later in the month offsetting the cool conditions early on. A very mild March in the UK - about third mildest of the 21st century so far behind 2012 and 2017.

April is looking ok currently from a precipitation standpoint as the month looks to be on the dry side according to models and parameters. Maybe cooler than what I was expecting though? Will see at the start of May anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Very happy with the March forecast as it was pretty much on the ball besides maybe a bit milder than anticipated though did mention the possibility of warmer weather later in the month offsetting the cool conditions early on. A very mild March in the UK - about third mildest of the 21st century so far behind 2012 and 2017.

April is looking ok currently from a precipitation standpoint as the month looks to be on the dry side according to models and parameters. Maybe cooler than what I was expecting though? Will see at the start of May anyway.

You are my Kermit the frog when it comes to sunshine and warmth .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭acequion

Am at the furthest tip of Beara, what a stunning part of the world! Drove down from Tralee this morning with the weather still beautiful. Chicken soup for the soul.:) Stayed nice and dry til about 5pm,fingers crossed for tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Jeez the GFS in FI is showing model output we would love to have seen during winter. Typical.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

acequion wrote: »
    Am at the furthest tip of Beara, what a stunning part of the world! Drove down from Tralee this morning with the weather still beautiful. Chicken soup for the soul.:) Stayed nice and dry til about 5pm,fingers crossed for tomorrow.

one of my favourite places when I lived within reach. took a whole day out there to say goodbye to it ...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

It's shockingly cold out. Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Can anyone explain the climatology of why there's often a brief return to wintry weather after several weeks of Spring-ish weather around the last few days of March and first week of April? It's long-established enough as a pattern that there's an old Irish myth about it, laethanta-na-something, which involves Winter trying to kill a stubborn cow and asking Spring to lend it a few extra days to finish the job :D

My guess is that the subtropical highs are starting to ramp up for Spring and Summer, but aren't strong enough yet to push towards us - resulting in a semi-blocked regime that allows brief northerlies and/or easterlies to form as opposed to Spring westerlies? Looking at the charts for the next week or two, I'm seeing things which would have been absolute eye candy had they appeared around December or January :D:D:D

My guess hatrickpatrick would be the fact that the Polar Vortex is naturally weakening towards its hibernation stage at this time of year on average with the final warming occurring resulting in the zonal mean zonal winds going easterly until Autumn allowing blocking to occur more easily. Seas are cold from the long Winter and very slowly warm up. There may be some left over cold air from the Winter over the continent that may influence easterly winds to be quite cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭acequion

Graces7 wrote: »
    one of my favourite places when I lived within reach. took a whole day out there to say goodbye to it ...

It's stunning, really stunning. Now it's a working trip I'm on but finished at 4 and the longer days meant I had a chance today to explore. Allihies and Eyries are just gorgeous little villages surrounded by breath taking scenery.

As this is the weather forum, a word on the weather. Cold and showery but I'm ok with cold except in summer. And between showers, which weren't all that frequent, blue skies and perfect visibility. Took pics and will upload one later.

Don’t think snowbies or warmies will be happy with this morning’s ECM. It’s -NAO mania with tons of high latitude blocking. Would be cloudy and miserable away from the west but colder than average everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,447 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Yes, a much colder than average outlook over all across the models (GFS the exception) with heavy wintry showers from the east later on. Worth keeping an eye on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Yes, a much colder than average outlook over all across the models (GFS the exception) with heavy wintry showers from the east later on. Worth keeping an eye on.

:eek:

RaggedTartKookaburra-size_restricted.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

horrible day in Meath today after a dry and sunny day yesterday. No sunshine today and drizzling/light rain most of the time, very windy and feeling very chilly. If this was January or February we'd be getting ready for lamp post duty.

• Advertisement

Hopefully next week will be dry.
    Don't mind if it's dull cold or frosty , just as long as it's dry.
    Horrible day out sitting a home fire lit kids are board

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Honestly I have to admit - the Irish are badass as hell. If they/you've survived centuries of this kind of bitter death wind, freezing death rain -- all the way into April -- and are still standing, then that is absolutely badass.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

ZX7R wrote: »
    Hopefully next week will be dry.
    Don't mind if it's dull cold or frosty , just as long as it's dry.
    Horrible day out sitting a home fire lit kids are board

Jaysus be careful they do not get too near the fire so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Absolutely awful day in Letterkenny today, pouring down rain all day, street lights on since 4pm, strong wind, freezing cold and low visibility

About as bad as it gets!

km79 wrote: »
    Jaysus be careful they do not get too near the fire so :D

It's been a long day! Anyways spelling is not a strong point for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭ballyargus

It's horrific out there. I've ran all winter long in all kinds of conditions but the chill factor off that rain/sleet would cut you in two. Bitter

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Horrible, just horrible

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

heavy rain for past two hours, miserable dirty evening. Feeling colder than it did at any stage over the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Happy to see the garden get a bit of a watering. Been a rather dry start to the year.

But it's easy to say that inside with the heating on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A mostly dry evening here in Castlebar with a mix of cloud and clear spells. Cool though in a fresh northerly wind.

Advertisement