Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monthly Salary not enough to rent

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

If you're living at home with a definite plan and goal in mind it's fine. And if you're paying a few quid.

Staying at home indefinitely with no plan and not paying up is for wasters.

Not as black and white as some posters would have you believe.

My sister lived at home all through her twenties and now has a fab house (down the country) and no mortgage.

It is laughable to suggest the majority of parents would be 'only delighted' with their adult kids living at home when in reality it is a massive compromise for both parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

My sister lived at home all through her twenties and now has a fab house (down the country) and no mortgage.

It is laughable to suggest the majority of parents would be 'only delighted' with their adult kids living at home when in reality it is a massive compromise for both parties.[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I honestly don't know why this is trotted out every time on these threads. I imagine the majority of parents would want their adult children to have some form of independence.

It also assumes that people have parents who can afford to subsidise their offspring while they save for a mortgage, and discriminates against those who don't.

And it skews the market by banks and sellers building this into the pricing.

It does no one any favours really

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ispeakdatruth

It is laughable to suggest the majority of parents would be 'only delighted' with their adult kids living at home when in reality it is a massive compromise for both parties.
    [/quote]

Not many parents have it in them to throw their 20something adult child (30 something 😳) out.

It really is up to the kids in this situation to realize that enough is enough. Time to grow up.

“Hey, thanks for looking after me for the last 30 years, but I reckon I’m old enough to live away from mammy and daddy now”

Something like that would go down a treat, and even though about 10 years too late, would fill mammy with pride.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    It also assumes that people have parents who can afford to subsidise their offspring while they save for a mortgage, and discriminates against those who don't.

And it skews the market by banks and sellers building this into the pricing.

It does no one any favours really

If there is a contribution towards bills and food then it's not costing the parents anything, it doesn't increase the cost of their mortgage to have people staying there and they may even be mortgage free by the time their children are in their 20's or into their 30's. It's a far more expensive time when they are in college.

As for it not doing anyone a favour well it's very much does a lot of favours for people who are able to live at home to save for a house, it means they have smaller mortgages and gets them a great head start in life. I also stand by my comments that most parents are very happy to have their children living with them and are only delighted to be helping them out by allowing them to save.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I also stand by my comments that most parents are very happy I have their children living with them and are only delighted to be helping them out by allowing them to save.

Of course you stand by them, it makes you feel better to tell yourself that.

Of course you stand by them, it makes you feel better to tell yourself that.

Why wouldn't they be? Contrary to what you read from an odd poster here most parents have no interest in booting out their kids once they turn 18 and actually prefer them to stay living at home for much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Why wouldn't they be? Contrary to what you read from an odd poster here most parents have no interest in booting out their kids once they turn 18 and actually prefer them to stay living at home for much longer.

Suckling from the breast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭mikemac2

dubrov wrote: »
    1500 a month just isn't enough to afford rent on your own in Dublin without state help.
    Moonbeam wrote: »
    your wages are very low and Dublin is very expensive.
    Your choices are to job hunt,leave Dublin or live in a house share.
    Most people in DUblin live in house shares in their early 20's.
    Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    You're being completely unrealistic expecting to live on your own in Dublin at 22 on that salary.
    Leave Dublin and get a job in the country. Rents much less. Better quality of life.

Buys you this 2 bed with an identity crisis of whether it's in Coolock or Clarehall.:pac:

The OP never said Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

No one said most parents want to boot their kids out at 18. But that doesn't meant most parents are delighted to have their kids at home in their 30s, especially if they're not paying any rent!! You are basing that assertion on absolutely nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I dont know many people that would have been able to afford living in their own place at 22
    At 22 I had a leased 1 bed apartment in Drumcondra.
    That was a good few years ago now though.
    I house shared from 18-22 too

mikemac2 wrote: »
    The OP never said Dublin

It can only be Dublin based on the info in the OP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

Pelvis wrote: »

No one said most parents want to boot their kids out at 18. But that doesn't meant most parents are delighted to have their kids at home in their 30s, especially if they're not paying any rent!! You are basing that assertion on absolutely nothing.
    It has to be repeated that living at home until marriage was Irish tradition, especially in rural areas and it still is very much the norm in many countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,726 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Pelvis wrote: »

What noxx fails to mention in every one of these threads is that he's from a farm.

For him, living at home also includes doing some work on the farm for free. Of course the parents are delighted to have free labour instead of doing the work themselves or paying someone else.

robp wrote: »
    It has to be repeated that living at home until marriage was Irish tradition, especially in rural areas and it still is very much the norm in many countries.

That doesn't mean it's healthy and fair on both sides in modern day Ireland.

Interestingly enough, I find the people that live at home far too long seem to nearly always be obsessed with inheritance also. It's almost like they are afraid to leave in case the parents spend their money amd enjoy themselves before they have a chance to put a stop to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

Would you consider factory work? Some people make serious money in factories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Johngoose wrote: »
    Would you consider factory work? Some people make serious money in factories.

Not unskilled factory work they don't.
    Pharma and IT like Pfizer or Intel earn decent money but are highly qualified guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

Not unskilled factory work they don't.
    Pharma and IT like Pfizer or Intel earn decent money but are highly qualified guys.

As an ordinary worker, you can do overtime and work ur way up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    That doesn't mean it's healthy and fair on both sides in modern day Ireland.

Interestingly enough, I find the people that live at home far too long seem to nearly always be obsessed with inheritance also. It's almost like they are afraid to leave in case the parents spend their money amd enjoy themselves before they have a chance to put a stop to it.

Really? I would’ve thought people who live at home for so long would realise they’ve been given more than enough and don’t deserve any more. Therefore, would be surprised to get any inheritance. But I don’t actually know, I would just expect them to feel like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,413 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Really? I would’ve thought people who live at home for so long would realise they’ve been given more than enough and don’t deserve any more. Therefore, would be surprised to get any inheritance. But I don’t actually know, I would just expect them to feel like that.

I have a friend who not only lived at home completely rent-free til she was in her 30s so she could save for a house she got her inheritance in advance to put towards it.

I've posted this before in the Stinge thread in AH, but she was over in my house a few years ago when I was back living at home temporarily after my marriage broke up. My folks weren't around and she asked where they were. "Portugal", says I. She goes "Is this not their fifth or sixth holiday this year?" and I said "Yeah, something like that". She went quiet for a minute or two and then asked "Does it not really annoy you that they're spending all your inheritance?"

I genuinely nearly fell off my stool in shock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Some people are just miserable old gits.

That's not a million miles away from just wishing they'd hurry up and die so you can have their stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I've always thought that the grown men and women stuck to their mammies teats are deluding themselves in one specific way: They see their mother and father as "parents", not as "people".

They see their parents as being there to protect and provide for the children, thats just what parents do. It would never occur to these sponges that parents are actually people too, people who had their own hopes and dreams outside of being a safety net for losers.

So they happily tell themselves that their parents have no problem with a grown man sucking from the bottle long after the 18 years have passed, and never think of the possibility that those parents might actually want to do something else with their time and money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

robp wrote: »

Yes, but this was also the reason that people married younger. Pretty much everyone I knew in the 70s/80s married in their early 20s. I guess they could save the deposit because they were living with their parents. Others got pregnant, got married and lived with parents for a while until they got a council house. It was the way of the times.

Advertisement