Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you break a lease once signed if there is a problem with the house?

Options
  • 12-11-2010 9:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Im renting a house at the moment and signed a one year lease even though i'll probably only be there eight months (landlord just told me sign here here and here so i didnt even know lease was for year as i had told the girl at the viewing i only wanted the place for eight months) anyway the place is freezing, HEATING IS INCLUDED but isnt working correctly, ive asked twice for it to be fixed and is hasnt been sorted properly, he says itll be sorted over the weekend.

My q is because im paying for heating in the rent can i move out without penalty as technically he is breaking lease by not provide heat?

And can you move out before the year is up problem or not?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

you have two weeks to quit the lease from when you signed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Blusher

i signed the lease a month ago, the problems only started in the last two weeks as the weather got colder

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

The landlord is obliged to maintain the house in a liveable condition. No heating in November is not liveable, so you are entitled to move out without penalty if it's not fixed promptly. (Even more so if you're actually paying the landlord for the heating as part of your rent.)

If he gives you any hassle over the deposit then report him to the PRTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Make sure you inform him in writing of the problem with the heating so you have a record of having tried (to no avail) of getting it fixed.

Also, next time don't sign a year's lease if you don't intend on being there a year. If you're signing something you should always always read it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Tigger wrote: »
    Where does this come from?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Scambuster

Reassign the lease and move out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Tigger wrote: »

please dont come on here and make things up. :rolleyes:

Advertisement