Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need help with housemate!

Options
  • 03-11-2010 2:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Thanks in advance for any help!!

I'm renting a 2bed apt with a couple for the five months now, and i'm sick of it, to make long story short, my firend gf is trying to get rid of me from the apt because she simply does not like me, well it works both ways to be honest, she has this thing that everything has to be the way she wants otherwise she starting to threatening on moving out and leaving us with paying full rent and bills and so on because she dosen't care about us losing deposit.

After a while i came up with what i thought was a great plan to paying her at the end of the month for the month that i stayed there beacuse money for the house are taken from her account at the end each month.

And now she contacted landlord that i didn't pay her a share for the house and he sent me a msg just now that if i won't pay her a rent, then i will have to move out immediatley.

So a have question to you what should i do ?
    I think i have all the rights to do what i'm doing now to protect my ass and landlord is not in position to threatening me because as far as i now he got paid full amout for apt at the end of the month.

beside i found something like that on : http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/housing/renting-a-home/types_of_tenancy

that says ..."If you sign a lease with others, (that is, you are sharing the accommodation and rent with other people) you each become responsible for all the rent. So, if your fellow tenants cannot pay their share of the rent, you may be legally liable for the entire amount. If you sign a lease on behalf of the other tenants you become responsible for all the rent."

Just to make things clear, i'm not trying to screw my friend, i'm trying to make sure that she won't be able to treathening with moving out every week and leaving us with a problem.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Ok your going to have to clear up a lot of information here.

There are 3 people in the apartment right? yourself, and the couple made up of your friend and his girlfriend.

Whose name are on the lease?

What exactly is your great plan? You've stopped paying rent or your paying your rent late, it's not clear what exactly it is your doing or what you hope to achive with your actions. Either you want to move out to get away from her or you want her to move out and I assume her BF would go with her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 G1S8

ztoical wrote: »
    Ok your going to have to clear up a lot of information here.

There are 3 people in the apartment right? yourself, and the couple made up of your friend and his girlfriend.

Whose name are on the lease?

What exactly is your great plan? You've stopped paying rent or your paying your rent late, it's not clear what exactly it is your doing or what you hope to achive with your actions. Either you want to move out to get away from her or you want her to move out and I assume her BF would go with her.

1. That's correct, 3 people leaving in apt at the moment. a couple and me.

2. We all are on the lease!

3. Well i don't want to give her that satisfaction of me moving out so i want to stay, and I will pay her a rent, but at the end of the month so if she suddenly decide to move out that will be her that lose the most couse i will have time to not to pay her for last month if u know what i mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

On point three what i think he is saying is that, the three pay the rent through her account,and up to now he has been giving it to her earlier than the day when the rent is taken out of her account. But his plan now is to give it to her pretty much on the day its taken out of her account(which to be honest is what i would do anyway...).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

G1S8 wrote: »
    3. Well i don't want to give her that satisfaction of me moving out so i want to stay, and I will pay her a rent, but at the end of the month so if she suddenly decide to move out that will be her that lose the most couse i will have time to not to pay her for last month if u know what i mean.

When according to your lease is the rent due? That is the day you have to pay it. You say your paying at the end of the month but is that rent that is due at the start of the month or was due at the end of the previous month? Rent is usually paid one month in advance as stated in the lease.

If all three of you are on the lease then nither she nor you can move out suddenly. You would have to speak with the LL and arrange for them to let you out of the lease which usually involves finding someone to replace you or else you may have to pay the remainding months left on your lease and risk losing your deposit.

Honestly if your so unhappy sharing with her why would you want to stay? Either sit down and sort something so you can all live in the house or cut your losses and move somewhere less stressful. All this carry on is frankly very childish.

ztoical wrote: »
    When according to your lease is the rent due? That is the day you have to pay it. You say your paying at the end of the month but is that rent that is due at the start of the month or was due at the end of the previous month? Rent is usually paid one month in advance as stated in the lease.

If all three of you are on the lease then nither she nor you can move out suddenly. You would have to speak with the LL and arrange for them to let you out of the lease which usually involves finding someone to replace you or else you may have to pay the remainding months left on your lease and risk losing your deposit.

Honestly if your so unhappy sharing with her why would you want to stay? Either sit down and sort something so you can all live in the house or cut your losses and move somewhere less stressful. All this carry on is frankly very childish.

I think You right man. I will try to speak with her i will see how that goes.

Cheers for all the advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Maybe sit down with your mate and tell him to tell his girlfriend to grow up and stop acting like a spoilt child? That would be the mature approach. If that fails then you can start to look at other options.

i spoke with my m8 and he said that landlord removed me from lease for not paying rent this month :eek: he also said that someone have had contact me on monday about it, which is totaly bull**** couse my phone was broken since friday and i replace it today to see msg saying that 'if i do not pay the rent i will have to move out immediately ble ble ble (ll name).
    Second thing i did pay that bitch on tuesday but apparently she have not checked her account.

Can my land lord removed me form lease for no payment on rent for her ?
    and if he can how long would i have to move out from apt ?

**** sake never ever again couples !! :confused:

Im pretty sure the landlord has to send you a written warning about the rent not being paid, from which point you have 14 days to sort it before they can take further action. I could be wrong about the details so you need to research that a bit more.

Edit: From Citizens Advise:
    If you do not pay your rent a notice of termination may be served, only if the rent due has still not been paid 14 days after you get written notification from your landlord of the amount owing.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/housing/renting-a-home/if-your-landlord-wants-you-to-leave

And generally speaking the landlord doesnt care who pays what so long as the rent arrives in their account on time. If all three of you are on the lease then all three are responsible; if the rent isnt paid the LL will go after all of you, not just you.

djimi wrote: »
    Im pretty sure the landlord has to send you a written warning about the rent not being paid, from which point you have 14 days to sort it before they can take further action. I could be wrong about the details so you need to research that a bit more.

Edit: From Citizens Advise:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/housing/renting-a-home/if-your-landlord-wants-you-to-leave

And generally speaking the landlord doesnt care who pays what so long as the rent arrives in their account on time. If all three of you are on the lease then all three are responsible; if the rent isnt paid the LL will go after all of you, not just you.

Thanks for info and I know for sure that rent was paid this month fully, but he still sent me a msg, which i think is just to scares me more then anything else. Anyway i paid her an now i thinkin' on either move out at the end of the month ane lose deposit a paid or stay and make her life so miserable so she will decide on moving out. Couse she just pissin' me off so badly, shouting all the time, shutting doors and arrguing with everyon including her bf.

any ideas what to do with her ?

Ill be honest I think you need to get out of that house. She sounds like a nightmare to live with to be honest. Maybe have a chat with the landlord, see if there is any way you can work out an agreement to have yourself taken off the lease after 6 months.

Personally I wouldnt bother starting a war with her; if she is as bad as she sounds you wont win, your life will be miserable and you could end up falling out with your friend over it.

If it was me I would take him out some night without her and have a proper chat with him about the situation. Explain to him that you are at breaking point, that you are on the verge of moving out and his options are to either talk to her and try and calm her down and sort things out, or else it will be the two of them looking after the rent, not three. Ultimately I think youre better off away from them either way, but it might help to make the remaining time in the house more bearable.

• Advertisement

djimi wrote: »
    Ill be honest I think you need to get out of that house. She sounds like a nightmare to live with to be honest. Maybe have a chat with the landlord, see if there is any way you can work out an agreement to have yourself taken off the lease after 6 months.

Personally I wouldnt bother starting a war with her; if she is as bad as she sounds you wont win, your life will be miserable and you could end up falling out with your friend over it.

If it was me I would take him out some night without her and have a proper chat with him about the situation. Explain to him that you are at breaking point, that you are on the verge of moving out and his options are to either talk to her and try and calm her down and sort things out, or else it will be the two of them looking after the rent, not three. Ultimately I think youre better off away from them either way, but it might help to make the remaining time in the house more bearable.

I think you'r right man so I will try to talk to my friend and then i will see how that goes but i honestly don't think that it change anything, he's to stupid to understand that this girl is way too toxic to live with if You know what i mean.

and yeah i will chat with my LL and mayby we will find some solution.

thanks for all the advice.

All the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

G1S8 wrote: »
    Second thing i did pay that bitch on tuesday but apparently she have not checked her account.
    Do you have a receipt of paying it into her account at a bank, or did you pay online? If either of these are true, ring the landlord, and tell them that you have proof of payment which was paid before the weekend, and that this nonsense is an ongoing issue with her.

Also, advise him that you're thinking of moving out due to this bullsh|t, and see what he says. He may have words with the b|tch, or he may accept it as your notice of leaving. Either way, you may get some peace and quite.

But yeah, no couples. Have heard only horror stories about sharing with them on this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭vaalea

Gee... as a sane/clean/quiet couple who are renting a room in Ireland to save money for travelling Europe, it's very annoying when no one wants to give a couple a chance. Our best luck has been to find short term lets as the roommate then figures if it's so bad sharing with a couple, we are moving out again shortly anyway. From our point of view it's hard enough to find roommates that are tidy as we are-get along- in the right location and a nice room that this strike against us is an unfair disadvantage. bleh.

Advertisement