Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-Habitable Attic Space?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

kceire wrote: »
    You don’t put steel into the party wall.
    You bolt it to the party wall.

You try to minimize any penetrations into the party wall if possible.

I did not see exactly what was done at the time, because it was in their property, but I could hear it at the time, they were definitely using a kango to dig out the party wall at attic level, I looked to see if I could find damage afterwards on my side, as the noise was so loud and the vibrations so significant that I was concerned about damage. I knew where they were carrying out work at the time as I could tell from my side what was going on and where when they used a kango. Same when they used it at the kitchen level to chase out channels for wiring, the noise was so significant and the works had gone on so long I walked in and demanded they stop and they were chasing out channels in the kitchen in the party wall. That was a few years ago, Im wondering now if I have any comeback if they damaged the party wall without permission if it has caused any structural damage? they certainly never looked for permission, I was aware of party wall agreements, but didnt even know it was necessary unless you were building up to or over the boundary.
    Why Id get a proper builder with insurance and get it done right if carrying out the work (to cover myself if I ever sold it or if any damage occured), my neighbours got their own builders in, but seemed to be a bunch of lads they knew, wether they had insurance or were experienced to do it I dont know for sure, but I suspect not.

So my neigbours should have only bolted their steels to the party wall and the other end would be their external wall, would they rest them over cutouts in the blocks? Im not sure where I stand here as Im convinced they dug out at attic level using a kango on the party wall, there was no way they were using a drill at that time, but its been a few years, Im not sure where I stand with checking this work as its in their property, no doubt covered up and its been afew years, proabably 6 years since it was done, are they exempt from it being done wrong if it was that far back or if they caused damage?

If I am to put up steels, I should have them bolted up there? Id have thought some kind of bracket bolted up and the steels rested and connected to it would have been the way to do it? do I need a party wall agreement for that? can my neighbour oppose that?

I have always been a bit concerned about their attic conversion structurally and now wonder if I get my own, I wouldnt want any steel I put up there to be directly opposite theirs, in case it highlights any weakness or to apparently cause damage, where it only highlights damage they already created.
    Its unlikely they will allow me have an engineer look around on their side to check even if its for me getting an attic conversion, as their side will be covered up.

Advertisement