Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveller families won't move into €1.7m homes without stables and land

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,838 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057917973

Someone was up earlier than you......

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Somebody summed it up lovely in the other thread. We have an entitlement crisis not a housing crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭ted1

In fairness to them the price for the collective of houses. So each house is only 300,000.

If they were promised land for the horses they should get them

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

ted1 wrote: »
    In fairness to them the price for the collective of houses. So each house is only 300,000.

If they were promised land for the horses they should get them

Somebody's father a decade ago said they were promised land for the horse.

Yeah, not a chance. The second they are given that much land, they will move a load of caravans onto it and the next group of travellers looking for housing will demand the council provide them with acreage the same as this group. And then they cry discrimination and something about culture.

Also, its 300k a house in Tipperary. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say 300k for a house in Tip gets you a lot of house.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Somebody's father a decade ago said they were promised land for the horse.

Yeah, not a chance. The second they are given that much land, they will move a load of caravans onto it and the next group of travellers looking for housing will demand the council provide them with acreage the same as this group. And then they cry discrimination and something about culture.

Also, its 300k a house in Tipperary. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say 300k for a house in Tip gets you a lot of house.
    At "state contract" prices, €300k in Tipperary would probably get you a pretty standard 3.5 bed.

I'm skeptical on the "promised land" bit. If someone did agree to provide land for the horses, they should be fired because that's ridiculous. So ridiculous that I have to doubt its veracity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

seamus wrote: »
    At "state contract" prices, €300k in Tipperary would probably get you a pretty standard 3.5 bed.

Yeah, thinking about it they would have had to have 24/7 security on site as its across the road from a Traveller encampment.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You can have a decent 3bed semi in Thurles for under €150k,
    300k and over your into homes in Dublin costing 700k+
    Should have cut to the chase and bought them houses like these up the road with stables for a few K more https://touch.daft.ie/tipperary/houses-for-sale/thurles/the-heath-thurles-tipperary-1449533

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Doop

Cant see why the council are in negotiation with them, it the travelers dont want these brand new houses the way they are then move to next on the list...simple.

Side bar - can the travelers not just buy some land themselves for the horses? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭paul71

Doop wrote: »
    Cant see why the council are in negotiation with them, it the travelers dont want these brand new houses the way they are then move to next on the list...simple.

Side bar - can the travelers not just buy some land themselves for the horses? :confused:

Far easier for them to dump them in any old field without permission from the landowner

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

So, there's a stable crisis, not a housing crisis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

half an acre, stables and a 3 bed (theres also 2x 5 bed houses) for free because you and your family were camped on somebody elses land.

and we all know in about 6 months those houses will be gutted of everything of value.

Its an absolute disgrace that we don't stand up to them in this country. Entitled to everything, responsible for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

Had to get up for work.
    Those Travellers houses won't pay for themselves you know....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Had to get up for work.
    Those Travellers houses won't pay for themselves you know....

the W word is offensive to their culture, you tinkerphobe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Pkiernan wrote: »
    So, there's a stable crisis, not a housing crisis.

To be fair, the housing crisis is pretty unstable!

I'll get my riding jacket ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

half an acre, stables and a 3 bed (theres also 2x 5 bed houses) for free because you and your family were camped on somebody elses land.

And we all know in about 6 months those houses will be gutted of everything of value.

Yes, but the driveways will look immaculate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Surely by now it is their land under adverse possession? Anyway fair play to the travellers. Last of the real Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Surely by now it is their land under adverse possession? Anyway fair play to the travellers. Last of the real Irish.

I don't think so. Were you looking at the brawls after the McGregor fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭bobbyss

This really angers me. Are the horses all chipped at any rate I wonder. It's an expensive business keeping horses. Vets food exercise etc. Where do they get the resources to meet this? They must have good jobs. Is the area they were promised big enough to exercise the horses?

looksee wrote: »
    Just for the record, I grew up in a council house, my parents both left school in their early teens, worked and saved and eventually purchased their own house. 'Luck' and 'entitlement' did not apply to them.
    If the house they purchased was the council house and they got it under right to buy then they were both lucky and entitled.

looksee wrote: »
    People have been farmers for generations, younger members are not provided by the state with land to farm.
    They are provided with massive subsidies and the rest of us pay increased food prices and suffer a damaged environment so that the same families can remain farmers ; further they were in fact provided with land by the state. Google Wyndham land act.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    I don't think so. Were you looking at the brawls after the McGregor fight?
    Well said. While McGregor lives Ireland is not yet dead!
    That was truly an edifying spectacle!

I fear however that Gaelic football has completely replaced Ireland's great tradition of faction fighting , even at country festivals that in the 1980s would have produced wonderful fights and several arrests all one gets now is some threats against Gardai and untaxed cars.

Ballinasloe remains a glorious outlier of course.

• Advertisement

They are provided with massive subsidies and the rest of us pay increased food prices and suffer a damaged environment so that the same families can remain farmers ; further they were in fact provided with land by the state. Google Wyndham land act.

This group are not farmers I don't think. They may be but I doubt it. Statistically they are probably unemployed with large families. Looking after their kids should be their number one priority. Not keeping them in substandard living conditions. Horses seem more important than the welfare of their kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Well said. While McGregor lives Ireland is not yet dead!
    That was truly an edifying spectacle!

I fear however that Gaelic football has completely replaced Ireland's great tradition of faction fighting , even at country festivals that in the 1980s would have produced wonderful fights and several arrests all one gets now is some threats against Gardai and untaxed cars.

Ballinasloe remains a glorious outlier of course.

I agree with ye on all the above apart from the Ballinasloe bit. It's a kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Fann Linn wrote: »
    I agree with ye on all the above apart from the Ballinasloe bit. It's a kip.

I think thats what the poster was saying thats its a kip ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Farmers recieve subsidies from Brussels, paid for by the EU , to ensure that the cost of food is kept artifically low to the consumer.
    Or at least, artifically low to the supermarket buying it.

These 5 houses are worthless, who would buy (or even move into ) a house located across the road from a 40 year old traveller encampment?

Tipperary CoCo may either give them what they want, or bulldoze the new houses.

Also, in Point No 5 of the statement released by the Traveller Council, they claim that horse keeping is an integral part of their culture, and important in the realm of their mental health.
    The next sentance claims that suicide in the traveller community is at 7 times the rate of the "settled" community.
    If this is so, owning more horses won't change very much.
    In fact, their determination to continue with a lifestyle so self destructive as to produce such suicide figures is baffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Farmers recieve subsidies from Brussels, paid for by the EU , to ensure that the cost of food is kept artifically low to the consumer.
    Or at least, artifically low to the supermarket buyer.

These 5 houses are worthless, who would buy (or even move into ) a house located across the road from a 40 year old traveller encampment?

Tipperary CoCo may either give them what they want, or bulldoze the new houses.

Also, in Point No 5 of the statement released by ghe Traveller Council, they claim that horse keeping is an integral part of their culture, and important in the realm of their mental health.
    The next sentance claims that suicide in the traveller community is at 7 times the rate of the "settled" community.
    If this is so, owning more horses won't change very much.
    In fact, their determination to continue with a lifestyle so self destructive as to produce such suicide figures is baffling.

If the suicide rate is so high the problem would resolve itself quickly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

_Brian wrote: »

Jesus can we keep some level of decency in discussion

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Temporarily closed for review.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Sorry for the delay folks we needed to clarify the position on 'official statements'.

Anybody wishing to post official statements must provide links to an official source, otherwise the post will be removed and action will be taken.

Thread reopened.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭DubJJ

_Brian wrote: »

My sides are actually hurting!!

• Advertisement

ford2600 wrote:
    Jesus can we keep some level of decency in discussion

It's beyond me how anyone could make a comment like that.

Advertisement