Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

1798 Claimants

Options
  • 06-06-2017 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

QUOTE=kildarejohn;103665709]Findmypast and some other sources allow you to search by name a database of people who made claims for compensation from the government for property destroyed during the 1798 rebellion.
    I found a record for one person, who came from a well-connected loyalist family, claiming for a house burnt, but being refused compensation.
    I could understand a rebel sympathiser being refused, but that does not seem to apply in this case.
    Anyone had any experience of these Claimant records? FMP only gives a transcription, are the full original documents available somewhere?[/QUOTE]
    pinkypinky wrote: »
    The records are printed up books and you can see them in the NLI. I compared them once to the transcripts and there was no difference.

I posted on Genealogy forum, see above reply which is no doubt correct. But I am interested in Local History aspect as well as genealogy- anyone know if there is more general (original source) info available for local areas of Kildare or Wexford on Claimants - e.g. how many claims were made/granted in particular area, reasons why, any petitions or appeals etc?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

The whole area of 1798 research is problematic because Ireland was not keeping any sort of proper records at the time (no census, no religious records, for the most part, no civil records). Apparently a conservative estimate of deaths for the 5 month period is 30000!

Try The Year of Liberty by Thomas Pakenham. Written in the late 1960s but still considered definitive. He has a good source list which includes both manuscripts and other books.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement