Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building first home

Options
  • 04-12-2020 12:57am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24

Hi folks so my sister in law wants to build on same land myself and parnter are going to build on in the future which is no problem not like we would be side by side .

Anyway it seems like shes in a rush to get building her house before us I dont really care if she does as we have other things to concentrate on at the moment and not in a rush to build.

She is able to get just over 220k but wants to build a 4000 sq.ft house with loads of windows and under floor heating.
    I really dont think she is thinking of all the extra costs that will have to pay I think planning permission will cost around 20k . Shes a bit of a dreamer I think so what size would you say she could build for if only getting a mortgage of 220k?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

using the calculator on self build ireland website says in Dublin about 1600 sqft

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 Farrell D

ec18 wrote: »
    using the calculator on self build ireland website says in Dublin about 1600 sqft

Yeah I was looking at that, big difference between that size and the size she wants to build
    Shes not even thinking of the cost of under floor heating or the cost of all the extras just thinks will be cheap to build as have land already.

I dont think she is mature enough yet to make such a big decision

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

https://selfbuild.ie/construction/build-cost-estimator/

According to that website 500k for a 400sq mt excellent finish modern SIPS/ICF house
    Note I have no idea what an SIPS/ICF house is

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭enricoh

4000sq ft - why?!
    She won't have a fiver left for a bit of lino or a kitchen but she'll have a fine big shell of a house!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 Farrell D

enricoh wrote: »
    4000sq ft - why?!
    She won't have a fiver left for a bit of lino or a kitchen but she'll have a fine big shell of a house!

Exactly why doesnt seem to realise I think even if you could build it it's to big can build a bit bigger then the average size house and still be plenty big . She has no kids either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

When you say "She is able to get just over 220k", I assume you're talking about a mortgage.

If that's the case I wouldn't give it another thought. It's not going to happen. No bank is just going to believe she's going to build a 4000sq ft house for just shy of €50 sq/ft.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Planners will knock her back on that size. They'll suspect it will be built to sell on.

Then you have the cost of running that size, and higher property tax.

220k will get a poorly finished shell.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Shed be lucky to get half that size and it will be a shell, no floors, doors, sanitary ware etc. And unless she wants to spend a fortune heating it she will have to spec it out properly.

Worst thing you can do with a self build is be in a hurry, you really need to spend a lot of time getting prices and getting organised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

brisan wrote: »
    https://selfbuild.ie/construction/build-cost-estimator/

According to that website 500k for a 400sq mt excellent finish modern SIPS/ICF house
    Note I have no idea what an SIPS/ICF house is

SIPS is Structural Insulated PanelS basically insulation sandwiched between two sheets of timber.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Structural_insulated_panel

ICF is Insulated Concrete Form two pieces of of insulation held together with reinforcing bars that are about the size of a concrete block and click together. After you click them all together they have mass concrete poured in the middle to create the wall.
    https://commonsensehome.com/icf-construction/

Both would create a very well insulated house and be easy to make air tight

Advertisement