Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving/Applying for a mortgage 2020-22 Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Just had a good call with EBS, I explained that I might be looking for AIP come July/August depending on my house selling by that time. They asked for salary etc. I explained to him that all going well with the house sale that I’d be clearing any loan we have (except my car loan) and obviously our current mortgage. Told him we’d have a decent cash balance once the sale went through. Plenty for a deposit in our price range 300-345k with a nice bit leftover after all expenses.

so by paying our current mortgage, the loan and savings add up too roughly €1900 a month, more then enough to afford the new mortgage. They’d be happy with that once I can prove all of the above are paid on time etc.. so what it means for us is hopefully little time spent living at the in laws.

I was of the full assumption that we’d need to save €1200-€1500 a month once we sold up but it’s not.

has anyone had experience with this recently??

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭theboringfox

Email from boi saying all fixed rates going up 0.75% unless drawn by 21st Feb 2023. Real blow. Cost of mortgages soaring but no sign yet of it being reflected in house price. Killer. Really feel missed boat now not buying in recent years. Depressing. Anyway back to the bidding wars I go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭quokula

Had BOI AIP months ago, put a holding deposit on a house in November, BOI have continuously dragged their heels with the final loan offer, and now we're to be hit with a rate rise that will add five figures onto the total cost of the house. I'm this close to dropping out and revisiting later in the year to see where things stand, if not for the fact I don't know when another house as suitable as this one might become available.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭billyduk

We're in the same boat. We're going to have a discussion this evening about whether to start again with a different lender(s) and kick the can down the road 6 months. It's very disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

You just gotta bite your tongue and see if you can afford it. In the process of applying myself, probably be looking at 4% by the time I drawdown :(

There seems to be an appetite from central banks to bring rates down again once inflation is controlled so I'm wondering what length are people fixing for? I was thinking I'd go 3 years max, maybe even 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,198 ✭✭✭This is it

We're sale agreed but still looking 8 weeks or more before drawdown I expect. Already took the hit of an increase from PTSB last week, if there's another before drawdown I'm not sure where it'll leave us.

We can afford it but it's heartbreaking to see your repayments increase hundreds with each rise. Will be happy if we can lock in this rate for 5 year fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 34,486 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It's hard to know isn't it? What if you lock it in for 5 now and inflation is actually at it's peak, only to start coming down after the summer?

My own fixed rate term is 3 years and it's up in October 2024, am hoping this inflation spike has gotten itself under control before then for when we fix our rate again.

We're the same. We can afford it, but we're not sure we want to at this stage. If they had delayed the increase by a week we might have had a chance to get the lower rate and we could have moved forward. This is adding €200 pm to our repayments which isn't a small increase. We're also told that the underwriting process will have to start again which will add a week or two if we were to move forward.

They were always going to raise rates, but I thought it might be half a point with a week or two lead time to allow those who were well advanced in the process to close that stage. The fact that it's a three quarter point increase with immediate effect is the stinger. Now that this is a no-go, I think we're better off shopping with other banks and seeing if the hikes suppress demand in the second hand market or waiting a little longer for inflation to drop to a point where the ECB reverse course. That won't be for another 9+ months at the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Has anyone moved their mortgage from Cabot Financial(Ulster Bank mortgage previously sold off to Scarriff), to a regular bank. Cabot is hitting me with every single ECB increase, almost ever month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭peejay1986

We've recently drawn down and we're lucky to get in at 3% with BOI, just before the increase.

We bought the house knowing it would need some work doing to it and we are considering topping up our mortgage by 10-20k after Year 1.

If successful, would the rate of this 'top up' draw down be the new increased rates? Or would all our mortgage be readjusted?

Really appreciate any clarity on this.

5 years seem like a long time. If you are comfortable with the monthly repayment and want certainty for 5 years go for it but the ECB policy is still to bring rates down once inflation hits 2% again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

It’s sickening…

we have a new development which won’t be ready until April /May so I’ve no doubt there will be further increases

I'm really sorry to hear that. The ECB hike is set for May so hopefully they don't raise rates again before that and you can get things wrapped in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭OEP

It's going to be quite a while before inflation is at 2%

• Registered Users Posts: 5,198 ✭✭✭This is it

I'm happy with the security of fixing for 5 years to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭FedoraTheAura

Just got my new AIP through from BOI. Took far longer than same time last year. It’s dated yesterday so I imagine they were waiting to include the updated rate rise. Hadn’t really noticed them before but this one really stings. Which I know is the point.

Trying to factor in that I’m probably going to be paying even more by the time it gets to drawdown.

Yeesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Murty90

Hi folks, When purchasing a property - have any of you gone down the route of getting a builder friend to inspect the property instead of getting in an engineers report? We were due to buy a property a few months ago for which we got an engineers report - however this sale fell through as the vendor pulled out last minute.

We are now sale agreed on another house and I'm tempted to just get a builder friend of mine to look through the property rather than forking out for another engineers report. What would people think on this? Build probably wouldnt be as detailed as the engineer would be

It'll be the most expensive thing you ever buy, I wouldn't skimp on it

I’m thinking about closing my second current account as I’ve 3 in total including the joint account with my wife,

would a bank go looking for the statements from that account if it’s closed? For example 3 months from now and I go for AIP with a different bank will they look for that statement as I would’ve transferred money into it previously?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭howiya

I'd imagine so. In general they ask for your last six months bank statements so you'd still have three months activity there within the 6 month time period.

That’s enough of that so. I’m going switching any DD out of it into my main account. I’ll shut it down once we are sorted with approval etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 housebuying2023

Evening everyone, wondering if anyone can offer any advice for my situation, single applicant looking to get a mortgage but banks not willing to give an exception/cannot borrow enough to allow me to buy a property. A sibling who took out a mortgage themselves a number of years ago has offered to go on the application jointly with me (salary has risen significantly in the intervening period) I was wondering if the banks would take part of the salary into account in calculating the multiple for lending? Anyone any previous experience of this? Any potential issues if so? Any advice greatly appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭poker2k9

Have you looked into the first home scheme to make up the difference? Given the lending rules increased from 3.5 to 4x your salary, doubt the banks will give you an exemption if you don't have a sizeable salary or if you're trying to buy above your means.

Do banks look for more than 6 months bank statements? Or is that just the general rule and the majority expect for your own bank just ask for 6 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Q&A

All lenders will look for proof that you can afford the monthly mortgage payments i.e., evidence of regular savings and/or rent that show you can comfortably meet the mortgage repayments. In the first instance they will all look at the last six months. If the last six months doesn't convince them they might look for longer. Ultimately if there isn't a track record to show you can afford the mortgage they won't give you one.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭dashdoll

Wondering if there is any point in me applying for a mortgage at the moment? My savings record is very good over the last 1.5 years overall but Sept,Oct Nov last year wern't great at all as went travelling etc so didn't save much. Saving a grand a month overall apart from those few months and paying rent of 650e pm but does it damage my changes say if I got rejected now and reapplied on 3 months time when I have 6 months of perfect bank statements? A bit confused! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 38 aislingm999

Does anyone know long it is taking at the moment to get the loan offer from PTSB once they've received the valuation report ?

Did you pull from the savings for holidays IN addition to not saving to it?

If you only didn't save to it, and you have a sizeable savings balance it is worth trying and they'll let you know if you need to reapply in 'x' more months

• Advertisement

My Valuation to Loan Offer took ~ 4 business days late last year.

This year, I had to update the same loan offer and it took 7 business days (excluding date of submitting) to get confirmation they approved the updated amendments. Then letter confirming same arrived to solicitor 4 day later.

Advertisement