Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

project 40/41

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

I never drew level with Garron. In fact, I never even noticed him out on the course. Brian crossed the line before me, and Garron crossed the line before Brian. I was pretty sure my chip time was going to be faster than Brian’s, but wasn’t so sure I’d be ahead of Garron. He said he wasn’t long finished, and reckoned it would be very close. Having not noticed him at any point on the run, I wasn’t so sure, but thankfully things fell in my favour.

https://live.sts-timing.pl/trimalbork2020/dzien2/index.php?dystans=1&mc=rower&punkt=2

Hope he doesn’t mind me sharing this, but you can track Peter here. Off to a good start with a 55 minute swim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭Kurt_Godel.

Doubt you'll be very satisfied with a truncated run at both Hardman and Poland, but I hope you can find some fulfilment with very impressive swims and bikes. Its a crazy year, everyone needs to grab whatever focus they can from it... 55mins in Poland and lead pack at Hardman while doing backstroke looking for others to take the lead... to be selfish I'm grabbing focus and inspiration from your two extraordinary swims.

Well done for attempting both within a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Sunday was ok it was not really good. Not happy with the swim as I made an eror after 2.8 k than t 1 was also a bit slow ( not entirely my own fault it was 80% the bike location which was at the wrong side and I had to run 100 m more with bike . And the train was gone where I wanted to be .
    It was a conservative bike split as I felt very good throughout . But it was not a good bike either . I was much fresher than for hardman and there was 3 min more in that split.
    The run is ok I had serious stomach issues from the start ( I had a little stomach pain sat but paid not attention to it as it was only 5 or so min but I guess something did not agree there . And I never had stomach issues in a triathlon at least I can not remeber.
    It's a pity as the harmstring felt good when I was running . It's the first race I could not have finished even if I had wanted. I could not even walk more than 30 meters without a break as stomach cramed so badly . It's hard to say but when I was running I was was running not badly at the same time it was definitely not good enough.
    There was also some positives
    At the end of the day I guess I blinked too early should have kept trust Frenchman will happen . But at the same given the situation in France it's really not certain.
    I have to say was super impressed with the race closed road impeachable organisation . V good aid stations and a beautiful run mostly shaded by trees. With 4 laps the swim was a bit hectic as we were laping people all the time after the first lap but the transitions bike and run was bloddy good. And while I have not seen the data I would bet a 5 we this is likely the most accurately meassured ironman distance race ( I was told the swim was a bit long they say 200 m I say 100m but I would be extremely suprised if the bike and nun are not within 200 m of the accurate distance. The wind was a good bit stronger than at hardman but not a single undulation of more than 2 meter and fairly good road surface . So the set up was seriously impressive . The entrance fee starts at 139 euro .... Respect to the organizers. I know they put on seriously good races in Poland but this was above most m dot races
    The reason why above ironman is ironman quality without drafting.
    And as easy to get too as Barcelona IM.

so in short
    1 week rest after poland loads of walking no swim bike run
    1 week slowly getting back with some very good sessions towrds end of the week
    1 top week where i got on 2 quality swims 2 quality runs and 2 quality bikes. weekend was not so good but overall a top week and the 2 fast runs felt like running and fianlly i got sour calfs after a fast session.
    sunday evening french man cancelled
    yesterday i did the first really good run . i gues it kind of was clear the last 4 weeks that this was going to come but i was surprised when it actually happend it was the first fast run this year where i was not really hold back by my body in speed for a whole session now i still only could put 90percent into right leg but 100 % in left leg apart from k 2 to 4 in hardman that was the first fast run i really enjoyed this year. and the pace for 4x 10 min half ironman effort bike 2.120k run was the first time solid approx 3.31 k* pace for the 8.5 k .
    pity frenchman got cancelled but at least i made the right decision to have a crack in poland despite virtually 0 chacne to do what i wanted ...
    at the same time i would still have close to 0 chance to achieve what i wanted in frenchman but i guess a sub 8.50 would have been realistic goal and of course i still have no idea what would happen in 2nd half at run but at least it would have been been realistc to run 1.35 for the first half .
    anyway i am looking into 2 races and we will see if it works out and if they happen. anyways while i had enough of long bikes now i still enjoy the training and iam still so pissed of about swim and bike in poland that i have enough bad energy for hardish swims and bike sessions and i have 1 run leg know lol that hasnt caused any issue really for 4 weeks. so thats small progress ...and i take the carrot for the first solid fast run with right leg.

• Advertisement

so no race never materialised which was in a way a good thing. while i did do some better ie faster runs overall the run was not there and takeing a run rest a better idea.
    havent run for pretty much 5 weeks and we will see how this is going. i havent really made too many plans for next year. i do have the frenchman and hardman in mind but at the end it will really depend on the running.
    2021 was meant to be an LD MD rest year so there has to be some convincing run imporvement before i am really going to change that.
    apart from swimming in august the swim and bike was at sub 8.40 level and there was 3 min in swim and bike in poland so overall not to bad.in hindsight it would have been better to employ a totaly strategy with the run ie rest at beginning of the season at the same time i was impressed with some sessions i did in the circumstances and at hardman i did actually run ( but that was more like getting 3 numbers right at the lottery whcih doesnt happen to often so again the run strategey clearly failed ,even it was not by much ,its as simple as that even at the ... best i got 1 out of 3 runs that worked.
    right now i am doing open water swimming which i enjoy and have ramped up the milage a good bit over the last 2 weeks (16to 17 k last week) a . did a good bit of strenght and range of motion work . and since last week started to get a bit more serious on the turbo.
    weight is just about ok.
    so we will see .

Do you ever think the extended breaks from running you often seem to take might affect your performance on race day? Would a young PK have taken them?

zico10 wrote: »
    Do you ever think the extended breaks from running you often seem to take might affect your performance on race day? Would a young PK have taken them?
    i take it you dont understand what the issue is as i do not think you would make this suggestion otherwise , Old pk did not want to take this rest which in this case IS THE PROBLEM it would have been better to take MORE rest 2 years ago or last year

peter kern wrote: »
    i take it you dont understand what the issue is as i do not think you would make this suggestion otherwise , Old pk did not want to take this rest which in this case IS THE PROBLEM it would have been better to take MORE rest 2 years ago or last year

I didn’t suggest anything to be fair. I’m merely asking do you think 5 weeks of no running will affect your performance later on in the year. Doesn’t matter if the break is because of injury or laziness, do you think you will be able to run as well come the summer, as you would if you ran year round without interruption?

And the young PK I’m talking about, is the guy who tied himself to a eucalyptus tree in the Outback, so he could swim in a puddle. And maybe that’s not a fair question, as if genuinely injured, you should take a break. But did you ever need to take long breaks from running back in the day?

if we look at kona ie at elite level we can see the clearest if run rests have negative impact on race results,
    5 out of the top 6 in kona 2019 had serious running injuries in 2018 and or 2019 .
    so i guess this would suggest that there is no evidence that taking rest from running has a negative impact . on the contrary it would suggest that serious triathletes that have been running for a long time , need rest given that i think 3 out of those 5 run the fastest ever in 2019 ben hoffman even the fastest run time ever in an ironman at ironman florida.

what young pk did is really irelevant to what 45-49 pk is. the bigger question could early vet pk prevented this issue by using a standing desk and increasing the mobility in that area , i was always aware that the knee and the harmsting are likley my weakest links in my body and while i think i did the right work for the knee i could have done better with the harmsting so the answer is yes .

and to add if young pk had taken a few times more rest youn pk would have been faster

• Advertisement

so we did 85 k sea swimming doing lockdown thanks to covid . the plan is to keep going to the open water twice a week as it is so good for the immune system , while saunas are closed . now a wood fired sauna with access to the sea that would be the ultimate.

started to run a bit could not say all is good as iam painful all over , but there is improvement its going to take a while longer but it is nice to run well run walking. y day i met somebody during the run and suddently i had done 11 k before i noticed ... not going to happen again . as i did notice for the rest of the day ....

last 2,5 weeks the training has definitlly gone up nicely and we are starting to enjoy it again and push the intensity a bit
    this week even running has gone well so far and i have run 3 days in a row pretty much painfree so thats good news iam a tiny bit behind my best case scenario, but also a good bit ahead ahead of the must ... progress
    also much happier cycling again which i did not enjoy much in november.
    did a chess turbo session which is the new rage in the endurance world and time was flying and i got my only sport win this season ....
    weight not so good but not terrible either iam still in control and i have already passed peak weight and gone down a bit.
    still enjoying the odd see swim and i guess now that gym is closed till jan 3rd i will go back full time sea swimming but definitley enhance more with dryland swim. i defo noticed how much better my swimming improves if i do dryland swimming besides open water swimming the nordic skiing ergo meter with some self made paddles instead of the standart holders , is my favorite.
    i still havent decided what i do this year but if the run keeps going in the right direction i guess frenchman will be the most likely goal

did a chess turbo session

Please let this be a real thing. Please Santa can I have a chess turbo session and a surprise
    :D

Please let this be a real thing. Please Santa can I have a chess turbo session and a surprise
    :D

it was a bloody stupid idea from my part as i always lose ...

before i lose count
    x mas we did a 4 day walk along the wicklow way out and back which was great.
    kept ticking over till the 4th and while i knew lood down would last i did look forward going to the pool and gym. and still had no motivation to bike and run is stil a long work in progress. i pretty much immediately then changed my season planing and put my money on it that frenchman will not happen mid many *also knowing already there is no way my run will be where it needs to be it was an easy decison* and focus on end of august
    where i would like to try to try a sub 9 at hardman, and then do anohter race late september or beginning oktober. hopefully frenchman as i love that race but we will see.
    after struggleing for a few days the last 2 weeks have gone ok with more than 25 hours on the turbo and 9 runs. its not good training yet but iam at it and for the last 3 or so years i did not enjoy training in january too much and usually by mid feb things are getting better so i see no need to push myslef to do things i dont want to do right now.
    iam not too worried about the swim and bike anyway. its the run which is the issue and while the high harmsting hardly ever bothers me right now
    running feels horrible , but again i am not in a rush and focus more on getting rid of the the issue. now that there is no rush. so in a way for my own training iam not complaining to much aobut covid the only thing i really miss is an open gym and i smile about it as i never thought i would say this.
    another new thing i never would have thought i would do was watching tv while on the turbo and i have started that . its always good to mix it a bit ...

albeit a few days later than the goal was i got my first 13 k run done on the 5th of february. the first enjoyalbe run in 2021 i also run my first sub 4 min k in this run. Needless to say this run had me in pain 2 days afterwards.

y day i did my 2nd run over 10 k in 2020 garmin was very excited to tell me i set a new 5 k pb of 26.20 min and 10 k pb of 57.32. i have a garmin 920 since september.* i dont use it very often * and it was the first run over 10 k i used it lol anyway more importantly so that was the 3rd enjoyable run 2021 so thats good. my run form is kind of changing ie less shuffling and a tiny bit more running , so my calves are working harder now.
    definitely progress

i coach an athlete in the very east of germany and he did a run race in poland last weekend. so looks like poland is still the country with the most races in europe.

some good run progress. 3 x10kruns last week 45 k in total and the pace is getting faster as well. i trippled my 10 k since october in 1 week. Rather nice especially since last week was overall an cold week which usually dosnt help.
    those days i ussually run late evenning after 8.30 when the roads are quiet but this monday i went out during the day to enjoy the sun and kind of first spring day f....ing awesome it was

overall my pace has improved about 30 sec per k over the last 4 weeks more like 35 seconds . while i still struggle to run 10 k in one go its definitely getting better and most of january i struggled to run 5 k and this week iam already at 40 k on by friday lunchtime. and did finish this week with 52.5 k.

turbo last was easy week 1 long session and 3 easy ones. i am trying to lify my game on the turbo but not quite happening but i do little by litlle increse higher intensity stuff.
    this week i have started to bring in more intensity.and this was nof that far of to be called the first proper turbo week. I still train without any programe and still just do what i want till march.

going forward with the run goal is to run 60 k after next week while getting my pace up a bit
    once i hit 60k then i want to improve the long run up to 20 k over the next 4 too 5 weeks and try to do one run a week where i want to push a bit more for 30 min and slowly bring that down to 4.20 k pace.
    and hopefully start to really run around mid april
    kind of funny this weed i did 7 k in 34.40 min and it almost felt like a tempo session when its not even ironman race pace ... but again my watch said new 5 k pb .... and a minute faster than last week
    anyway till end of May there wont be any rush and only then will i make a final decision what iam going to do this year. ie if i dont think i can run at least 3.15 off the bike in an ironman i prefer not to race.
    besides eying for a sub 9 in ireland, i my goal is a 54 swim 4.35 bike 3.09 run for the frenchman which i hope to be end of september or start of october but we will see running is feeling much better than lat year for the first 7 k especially the first 4 k are night and day difference where i struggled a lot last year and this year its much better.

2022 my goal is to cycle central asia with iran usbekistan tajikistan on top of the list .

2022 my goal is to cycle central asia with iran usbekistan tajikistan on top of the list .

This sounds a lot more interesting than any of your triathlon plans. Have you cycled in any of these countries before?

This sounds a lot more interesting than any of your triathlon plans. Have you cycled in any of these countries before?

the closest i have come to this area was looking into armenia from turkey and cycling along the iranian border, so no.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Wow...sounds amazing to me! Living life to the fullest. Hope you are keeping well Peter.

• Advertisement

61 k run weekly total , longest longest run 15 k, fastest new 5 k pb 22.45 in 7 k tempo run . all three things had me at the limit .
    but rather pleased with feb run progress running at least for the first half of the run is starting to become enjoyable again and at the end of the day this is the best thing possible

turbo approx 11 hours last week and also the week with the most intensity so far still not enough intensity but a lot more than 3 weeks ago also getting more enjoyable.

S and S work is also doing okish iam doing an average of 25 min a day

weight has come down by approx 2 kg in february so thats good too. i really should look for a scale but cant be bothered

so far i would say the plan to use as little menatal energy during the winter is going well. everything could be better but really now the training starts running is going to be an easy week but i would like to get the long run up to 16 k but no more than 45k this week in total .

frenchman changed to october 3rd and thats pretty perfect for my planning.

Is it easy enough get into Frenchman? Assuming it's not already sold out, is it a race you could hold off on entering until September?

Is it easy enough get into Frenchman? Assuming it's not already sold out, is it a race you could hold off on entering until September?
    it was sold out last year and the year before their limit is 600 people but I know that when they change the dates they have a place where people, that cant to the race in october can swap sell their place. i think that will open soon.
    entering september i would not bank on it so i would think if you want to be in you want to be on the ball soon when this swap thing will open. at the same time i anticipate that this year there will be a few athletes that will crack, so if you need the flexibility i would think that there might be a way early september.
    like hardman they did run a few races last year so they know what they are doing and they are 120 % commited to run their race.

btw 2 videos that give a bit of an idea about the race

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0W3mWyzU8c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ_fHOsLDAg

easier week last week
    running 4 sessions 44 k , 5 k tempo 21.19 last 2 k where 4.08 pace and that was definitely in the focus zone where i really had to be on the ball to not slow down hr was 160 at the end which is not the far off 10k race pace , in a race like situation i am sure i would be able to go sub 20 for 5 k now, so thats a first step and i guess in 3 weeks or so i should be sub 19
    long run was 18 k and my first run over 90 min and garmin tells me first sub 50min 10 k and a 10k pb . was a bit worried that maybe i pushed that run a bit too fast and long but next day all seemed to be good .

turbo also a bit less have no idea how many sessions i did i would guess5 but in terms of intensity i did 2 decent quality sessions and for the 2nd fast session, i put a battery in the powertap first session with power since mid/end september, and for the last few approx 3 min efforts i pushed around 330 watts i have to write that down as it dosnt really inertrest me but since the spindle of the turbo gets deeper the turbo is getting slower and 330 watts was 38.5 kmh last year it would have been over 40 kmh hour not a surprise as it seems to get gradually harder and sometimes mid january there was suddently a big shift , the great thing with this turbo is that it only minimally wears out tires now . i must have done 10000 k on the same ultra sport tyre now and it looks still in good nick as it gets worn out over an much wider area, asking myself why they where not designed like this in the first place.
    there is work to be done but overall not complaining as its going to move up quickly in the next few weeks as i have a decent base fitness now. its starting to get enjoyable to push a bit more in training.

good and bad week
    bike reallly first serious week interval sessions where up 25 watts from last week and first 4 hour turbo .
    athletic and range of motion training was also quite good and i thought that was a real enjoyable bike week

run was bad 64 k is the biggest week in oktober but there was only 1 at a stretch 2 decent runs last week,none of the key runs . issue was the last week mentioned too fast or to long long run and not enough range of movement work and then monday a 13k run the long run was planned for sat and happend sunday and while i felt good on monday i did not feel good on tuesday .... the plan was to be by 80 k by end of march but i need to reconsider this and if i dont feel better by midweek either take a few days of this week or next week .bit annoying but a good reality check that i still need to be extremly careful and follow my run movement protocol .

i got a scale last week scale says my weight is 2 kg higher than i thought... good kick in the backside last 4 / 5 weeks diet has been fairly good but i still eat too much and need to reduce intake by approx 200/ 250 calories a day

one good thing about covid i realised y day i did not have a single real cold etc this winter

run goal was easy miles and hope for the best... that resulted in 50 slow k till thursday evenning with lots of drills, and friday and sat running became enjoyable. weekly total done by saturday 82 k . so first 80 week first 20 k run and first run over 12 k sub 5 min k pace 1.39..30 for 20 k, good stuff.

bike another solid week with good volume , intervals not quite as good as planned but still enough over the week and did at a bit more intensity for the 4 hour turbo.

4 k swimming and today was enjoyable.
    good training week not an easy week but turned out much better than hoped.

What sort of gear are you wearing swimming Peter? For a skinny guy, 4km is impressive mid-March.

lol i could not swim 4 k in one go even in the carribic right now ... that was 4 k for the week i started swimming on paddies day. and building up. and of course i acclamatize right now so it was 1200 1600 1900 last week . iam pretty sure i could do 2500 m as i was nice and warm after 1900 but arms were heavy after 1900 lol and i was a bit in a rush too. ... having done 2500 m now iam pretty sure i could do 3k
    i use a wetsuit , 2 neorpene hoods, 2 swim caps 2 pairs neoprene gloves and cycling overshoes under neoprene socks
    i have also cut of arms from an old wetsuit a buoyancy shorts and bubble wrap for the upper body
    if i was to use that and improve my neck a bit more than 4 k would not be a problem in a couple of weeks if i have more swim fitness.
    at the end of the day there is no cold water just inapproppriate clothing....
    more importantly how much time iam willing to get dressed up.

i never swam in 7.5 degree before but what is very clear swimming in 7.5 degree with a wetsuit with not a single hole is much warmer than swiming in a wetsuit at 11 degress with 2 holes in it.

I figured it was 4k a week- still impressive. Thanks for the enlightening answer, that's more neoprene than expected and bubble wrap is a new one to me. Necessity is the mother of Invention.

• Advertisement

Good training week
    30 sec 5k pb, first 25 k run 93 run k in total not easy but happy with that the last 5 k at long run were not pretty but got it done
    Swim 7 k for the week and 3 k on sunday which was nice as air temperature was good and unlike the other 2 swims last week arms are OK today.
    Bike also quite good and the way it was planned, nothing special but good intensity and volume
    No complaints for last week
    Not sure what's going to happen this week I have pushed the run limit in last few weeks and while after this week there is a recovery week iam not going to push as much as this week as this was the limit ,

Advertisement