Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! Biology 2015 - predictions, guesses, discussion, petri dishes ...

Options
  • 25-01-2015 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭

Viruses for Biology due to Ebola

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 flankerdo

Viruses and Human Reproduction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭loveemmaxxxx

Biology predictions

Viruses - Due to the out break of Ebola in 2014

The Nervous system - Due to ALS Ice Bucket challenge this year

Respiration - Did not come up in long questions last year and it nearly always does

Photosynthesis - Usually comes up

Genetics - Nearly Always comes up

Ecology - Always comes up

The Senses ( eye, ear, touch) - Have not came up in years

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Codswapple

For biology excretion is due up and im definitely going to learn it

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mattf96

These are all my opinions and they are all because they have not come up recently, if you look at past patterns it is not that hard to predict...
    Geography:
    Soils:
    Brown Earth Soils
    Adaptations to rainforest
    Deforestation
    Physical:
    Sedimentary rocks
    Human interaction with rocks and rivers
    Regional:
    Learn all of Ireland and all maps and a bit of india
    Economic elective:
    Gloabalisation
    Colonisation
    Conflicts of Interest
    CAP

Biology:
    Human Reproduction
    Human Nutrition
    Respiration
    Photosynthesis

These are the main ones.... there is a lot more

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Biology threads / posts merged

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭ThatsTheShtuff

Can't really predict for Biology? The paper usually covers like 70% of the syllabus anyway, between short questions and all that!

Obviously Photosynthesis, since there was nothing last year.
    Sexual Reproduction of plants seems important, too.
    Excretion/The Kidneys hasn't come up in a while.
    I think the eye and skin is due up too, hasn't appeared since 2009.
    And then the usuals, Genetics, Ecology, blah blah blah hurry up lets get this crap over with

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Kat97

Do you need to be able to draw a diagram of the ear? Studying it right now and it's a really difficult one to draw!

Kat97 wrote: »
    Do you need to be able to draw a diagram of the ear? Studying it right now and it's a really difficult one to draw!

I don't think so really, but never say never!
    The kind of things you'd be asked are 'Number of bones in the inner ear', = 3. And maybe name them!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Gandhai

IAA experiment seems likely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭expiiplus1

As a short question, the functions of water in the body [because of water charges)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

Do you thing this would be enought for this bio question:
    (2007 Section B Q8)
    In relation to your investigation of the growth of leaf yeast.
    Describe, in words, how you conducted the investigation. (4)(3)

Pick up leaves, cut leaves into suiteable size,
    Flame forceps. Pick up leaves. Cut into suitebale size.
    Place vaseline onto lid of petri dish.
    Place leaf ounderside of leaf facing agar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

Do you thing this would be enought for this bio question:
    (2007 Section B Q8)
    In relation to your investigation of the growth of leaf yeast.
    Describe, in words, how you conducted the investigation. (4)(3)

Pick up leaves, cut leaves into suiteable size,
    Flame forceps. Pick up leaves. Cut into suitebale size.
    Place vaseline onto lid of petri dish.
    Place leaf ounderside of leaf facing agar.

I highlighted what you'd get marks for, yep that's enough.

The examiner is just looking for keywords or phrases, everything else is essentially waffle. :)

Edit: Whoops I misread the marking scheme, thought it was 3(4).. You'll need one more point, I'd go with

1. Cut leaves
    2. Attach to lid
    3. Flame foreseps
    4. Seal dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

Magnate wrote: »
    I highlighted what you'd get marks for, yep that's enough.

The examiner is just looking for keywords or phrases, everything else is essentially waffle. :)

Edit: Whoops I misread the marking scheme, thought it was 3(4).. You'll need one more point, I'd go with

1. Cut leaves
    2. Attach to lid
    3. Flame foreseps
    4. Seal dish.

Thanks, but why do they give such massive space. If I can write that in 2 lines?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

Thanks, but why do they give such massive space. If I can write that in 2 lines?!

Well I suppose the course is so massive and detailed that they have to allow room for students to "demonstrate their knowledge"... But really the only way to study is by the marking scheme, which in contrast is very short, concise and to the point.

If you want to be safe then by all means waffle, just not in section A, or in part B or C where they ask you to name something or identify X. In these sections surplus answers cancel out correct ones.

However in most long questions, where they ask you to describe or draw something, you can write as much as you want and even if it's wrong they'll pick out the right part and give you the marks. This is really handy for diagrams if you're not sure what section of a plant they want you to draw for example, just draw everything! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 kelly8249

This is my personal prediction list:

Ecology
    Genetics
    Respiration
    Photosynthesis

^^^^^^^^^ IMO these are a given, and there's not really any point going into your Bio exam not knowing them!
    Beyond that:

Excretion
    Human Reproduction
    Plant Reproduction
    Human Digestion

Those are the main things I'm predicting! Plus the IAA exp especially, and the how to extract DNA from a plant tissue for the EXPS.
    And the senses!

Short questions though, they could be anything! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17 podisyc

DEB mock 2015. Does anyone have a copy of this and it's marking scheme? Would be greatly appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

Sorry this is off topic as i couldny find the thread for it but in so confused should i learn for:

To prepare enzyme immobilisation
    Or
    Application of immobilized enzyme

In 2009 HL Q9b
    It doesnt say specifically it says ' you prepared an enzyme immobilisation ' but the answer rightly is application of immobilised enzyme not to prepare enzyme immobilisation :/

Sorry this is off topic as i couldny find the thread for it but in so confused should i learn for:

To prepare enzyme immobilisation
    Or
    Application of immobilized enzyme

In 2009 HL Q9b
    It doesnt say specifically it says ' you prepared an enzyme immobilisation ' but the answer rightly is application of immobilised enzyme not to prepare enzyme immobilisation :/

You need to know both the preparation (ie. HOW) of the immobilised enzymes
    AND
    the application of the enzymes you have just immobilised.

So the 2009 question:

part (b)(i) says 'Describe how you carried out the immobilisation', so this is using the sodium alginate etc, HOW you actually entrapped and immobilised the enzymes.

part (b)(ii) & (iii) is asking you to draw a labelled diagram of the apparatus, and explain how you use this apparatus, to show the ACTIVITY of the enzyme.

I don't know if I'm explaining myself very well, but it's not either or, you don't learn either HOW to immobilise, or the USE of the immobilised enzymes. You need both, they're all in the same experiment and they could ask you on both aspects of the exp.

Hope this helped :)

Guys do we have to know the specific amount of distilled water we used in experiments because when i was looking at the marking scheme for explain beiefly how you carried out this experiment it was only looking for like 4 points?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 podisyc

Guys do we have to know the specific amount of distilled water we used in experiments because when i was looking at the marking scheme for explain beiefly how you carried out this experiment it was only looking for like 4 points?

No, we do not have to know any amounts of anything we used, just the names of what we used.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Hate the biology papers.

Some questions aren't even marked or have the number of allocated marks beside them.

It's very easy to miss a question, and hard to know how much you should be writing.

Hate the biology papers.

Some questions aren't even marked or have the number of allocated marks beside them.

It's very easy to miss a question, and hard to know how much you should be writing.

I agree with this.. I would always write far far too much. And in Section A, waffling on can actually LOSE you marks.

And for a question like 'Describe what happens in both Pathway 1 and Pathway 2' with regards to photosynthesis, I always write far more than I need..

But what I've found really really helps i going through the marking schemes. it's helpful in general, but especially in long questions where you aren't entirely sure how much you should be writing, looking up the marking scheme helps because you can see what and how much they're looking for!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

kelly8249 wrote: »
    I agree with this.. I would always write far far too much. And in Section A, waffling on can actually LOSE you marks.

And for a question like 'Describe what happens in both Pathway 1 and Pathway 2' with regards to photosynthesis, I always write far more than I need..

But what I've found really really helps i going through the marking schemes. it's helpful in general, but especially in long questions where you aren't entirely sure how much you should be writing, looking up the marking scheme helps because you can see what and how much they're looking for!

Questions like "Explain what was done to the leaf when in the lab" for the yeast leaf experiment is so vague.

The other questions in the section didn't ask anything about the experiment but the results.

Didn't know if I was meant to write the whole experiment or just what was done to the leaf in preparation.

Wrote out the whole experiment, ended up using extra paper.

Questions like "Explain what was done to the leaf when in the lab" for the yeast leaf experiment is so vague.

The other questions in the section didn't ask anything about the experiment but the results.

Didn't know if I was meant to write the whole experiment or just what was done to the leaf in preparation.

Wrote out the whole experiment, ended up using extra paper.

I find that as well, especially in the exp questions!

Well for Section B and C, provided you're not writing out complete and utter crap that's incorrect, you'll get all your marks anyway even you have excess information. Better safe than sorry I suppose! It's just a bit annoying. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Codswapple

The experiments i wouldnt go into the exam without knowing are;
    IAA
    Osmosis
    Food tests-might only be part of a short question
    Leaf yeast
    Dna isolation
    Enzyme experiments on ph and temp
    Photosynthesis
    Enzyme immobilisation and application.
    The heart-even though it came up last year, if they put up two in a row it will be this one, and its also good revision for the circulatory system chapter which is due up.

Hopefully these come up

In fairness the way i look at long questions is just broken up into a load of short questions honestly thats why im glad we dont have to write 10+ sentences on one answer!!

That always freaks me out too, sometimes it's a 5 word answer to get all the marks! Infact, waffling to fill up the space might end up with you losing marks! :/
    In fairness the way i look at long questions is just broken up into a load of short questions honestly thats why im glad we dont have to write 10+ sentences on one answer!!

The whole paper is basically short questions, that's why Biology is the best!!!
    (Apart from stages of photosynthesis etc, theres a bit of writing in those)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 FoxScientist

Biology: Usual ones really Genetics, Ecology,Food and Photosynthesis is probably going to come up, Kidney and Nephron according to some people too..
    Osmosis as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Leitrim96

Love/hate relationship with biology. Favourite subject a week before the mocks, would leisurely read it before going to sleep. Picked up a poor C2 in te mocks having expected a B3 at least. Just so much to learn in such detail.

Hopefully I'll be good with genetics/ecology/respiration/photosynthesis/ the male pee pee/ nephron.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭IrishLoriii

This might sound really stupid to you guys but I am the worst person in the world
    at drawing..i cannot draw for my life! Has anybody got any simplified diagrams they
    would be willing to share particularly of the reflex arcs etc?? Or even websites you use
    that help you draw them? Im really dreading them as question because no matter what
    way the diagrams just ends up looking messy and strange and like I couldn't give a crap
    but its not on purpose..maybe this is a strange request sorry :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement