Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! Geography HL 2015 - predictions, guesses and discussion ...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭if832uspx4eogt

DaveMc90 wrote: »
    With the tertiary activities , lets say on paris basin, and they ask for one activity can you discuss tourism under the headings of attractions and its accessibility or can you not talk about accessibility because transport is also a tertiary activity? My teacher said you can still talk about accessibility but i just want to be sure!

I'd say you can still talk about accessibility, but link it to tourism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Scurvy Kanve

iago1 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any good geography notes? Do ye know any good sites? Our teacher has been gone on maternity for since Christmas and we've been left with this student teacher😭 it's great that she's getting work but she's useless!! Please anything will do!!

if you have eircom broadband you can get their studyhub video lessons free. Good geography teacher.
    If you havent got eircom you can pay for the same videos on examsupport.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RoRo979

I'd say you can still talk about accessibility, but link it to tourism.

I would personally talk about transport. Its easy and will ease the study for secondary/teritary/pop distribution as transport is part of it all.

Talk about Seine,La Havre, Le Boulveyard periphique, SNCF, RER, TGV, Metro, In my essay i did titles to help me learn.

Physical:
    Topography/River/Canals
    Human:Paris cente of economic and political. Investment, population, European model of living in city apartments access to first class transport

Types:
    RAil:
    Road:
    Airport

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭etherealfairy

Just wondering how many marks you would give this essay on HARP? Did it under timed conditions but not sure if my points would be considered SRPS :rolleyes: Feel free to use it if it's any use!

HARP- AN EXAMPLE OF CO-OPERATION..:

The HARP (Historic Area Regeneration Programme) project was implemented in Dublin in 1996 in order to facilitate greater community involvement in government redevelopment plans, whilst preserving heritage.

110 hectares of Dublin were involved in the scheme which stretched from O’Connell Street to Collin’s Barracks.

These areas suffered vast unemployment, social problems and lack of opportunities. This was due to the migration it experienced from 1940-1985 as businesses relocated to the suburbs.

The population fell from 40,000 to a mere 6,000 people. Many problems ensued including lack of facilities such as proper schools and community services. The people living there were socially and economically disadvantaged.

200 hectares of the inner city were completely derelict, unsightly and hazardous.

25 zones were given special tax designation status, in order to attract companies to set up there, thus flourishing the economy.

Dublin City Council recognised the importance of historical sites and so community representatives along with An Taisce, who work for the environment and FáS, who develop adult education services, worked alongside the local government.

As part of the programme, Dublin underwent urban renewal and redevelopment. Smithfield market was redeveloped into a residential area of 400 apartments aswell as business areas.

The old Jameson Distillery has been redeveloped into Smithfield Village, an important cultural, residential and economic quarter.

The Luas connects Collins Barracks, an old military barracks, to the city centre. It has been redeveloped into a museum as part of the National Museum of Ireland and is important in attracting tourists to the area.

A 4 million euro community resource centre was built to encourage social development of the elderly. Local clubs meet there and there is also a creche for young kids.

In order to avoid social stratification, a mixture of housing has been built in Dublin City Centre. Social stratification is the idea that certain socio-economic groups live together and avoid others. Both full time and rented housing have been made available.

The project has been a success as there is a revitalised community spirit. 4 local parks have also been built providing a recreational function. Everyone has had their say. This is an example of co-operation between residents and local government.

The government now realises the vital role heritage plays in shaping communities and thus has decided to allocate 200 million euro to the preservation of heritage as part of its current National Development Plan which will run until 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭nathan99

Just wondering how many marks you would give this essay on HARP? Did it under timed conditions but not sure if my points would be considered SRPS :rolleyes: Feel free to use it if it's any use!

HARP- AN EXAMPLE OF CO-OPERATION..:

The HARP (Historic Area Regeneration Programme) project was implemented in Dublin in 1996 in order to facilitate greater community involvement in government redevelopment plans, whilst preserving heritage.

110 hectares of Dublin were involved in the scheme which stretched from O’Connell Street to Collin’s Barracks.

These areas suffered vast unemployment, social problems and lack of opportunities. This was due to the migration it experienced from 1940-1985 as businesses relocated to the suburbs.

The population fell from 40,000 to a mere 6,000 people. Many problems ensued including lack of facilities such as proper schools and community services. The people living there were socially and economically disadvantaged.

200 hectares of the inner city were completely derelict, unsightly and hazardous.

25 zones were given special tax designation status, in order to attract companies to set up there, thus flourishing the economy.

Dublin City Council recognised the importance of historical sites and so community representatives along with An Taisce, who work for the environment and FáS, who develop adult education services, worked alongside the local government.

As part of the programme, Dublin underwent urban renewal and redevelopment. Smithfield market was redeveloped into a residential area of 400 apartments aswell as business areas.

The old Jameson Distillery has been redeveloped into Smithfield Village, an important cultural, residential and economic quarter.

The Luas connects Collins Barracks, an old military barracks, to the city centre. It has been redeveloped into a museum as part of the National Museum of Ireland and is important in attracting tourists to the area.

A 4 million euro community resource centre was built to encourage social development of the elderly. Local clubs meet there and there is also a creche for young kids.

In order to avoid social stratification, a mixture of housing has been built in Dublin City Centre. Social stratification is the idea that certain socio-economic groups live together and avoid others. Both full time and rented housing have been made available.

The project has been a success as there is a revitalised community spirit. 4 local parks have also been built providing a recreational function. Everyone has had their say. This is an example of co-operation between residents and local government.

The government now realises the vital role heritage plays in shaping communities and thus has decided to allocate 200 million euro to the preservation of heritage as part of its current National Development Plan which will run until 2016.
    thats looks pretty good, btw how long are your usual answers like page and a quarter or a page and half or ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

Is it ok if i learn intrusive and extrusive rocks, just for the tock section or should i learn more?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 kelly8249

Is it ok if i learn intrusive and extrusive rocks, just for the tock section or should i learn more?

Do you mean an example of an intrusive and extrusive IGNEOUS rock?

I was going to do Granite formation, and the formation of 2 sedimentary rocks. (Limestone and Sandstone)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 hannah121

Anybody have a sample question on 'how biomes have been altered by human activities.'????

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭LeeLee97

Okay, so I've left geography really late to study. I neglected it throughout the course of the year until the mocks, when i got 80% from a few hard days study. Since then, up until the start of May I didn't study any geography. I have spent the last few weeks writing up essays on most topics and getting the SRPs, but I haven't learned them and I seem to remember very few things. I'm sorted for biomes and physical geography, provided waterfalls/deltas come up (as they usually do). Anyone got any wise words of advice to learn this ream of essays? Going for the A1 but it's looking more like a B1 at the minute

kelly8249 wrote: »
    Do you mean an example of an intrusive and extrusive IGNEOUS rock?

I was going to do Granite formation, and the formation of 2 sedimentary rocks. (Limestone and Sandstone)

Yeah an example of intrusive and extruse.
    I dont personally like learning rocks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Confused2015

Anyone got any links to websites that have 30m and 80m questions already done out ?
    Or if anyone has their own notes they'd care to share that'd be great!
    Also is anyone doing Culture & Identidy for their 80m? We cover this in my school and I despise it. I wish we had done Geoecology as it's more factual so easier to learn off Imo :(

Anyone got any links to websites that have 30m and 80m questions already done out ?
    Or if anyone has their own notes they'd care to share that'd be great!
    Also is anyone doing Culture & Identidy for their 80m? We cover this in my school and I despise it. I wish we had done Geoecology as it's more factual so easier to learn off Imo :(

If you want I'll send you some 30m! Just message me :)
    Yeah an example of intrusive and extruse.
    I dont personally like learning rocks!

I would learn example of a sedimentary rock, such as limestone or sandstone in full (so have 14 s.r.p's) on it), and learn the second sed. rock half, so that if a Q comes up asking you to talk about both you can..

For some reason my teachers sure sedimentary rocks will come up! I haven't actually checked it properly myself but each year she's normally pretty spot on with predictions. So fingers crossed cause I know that one well!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 DaveMc90

Does anyone have a really good isotasic landform development essay?? Is there only one form of essay they ask for in it? Help would be very much appreciated!

nathan99 wrote: »
    thats looks pretty good, btw how long are your usual answers like page and a quarter or a page and half or ?

They're usually about 2 pages!

We only did geoecology after the mocks so I'm counting on just knowing key essays for it. I did one on how human activities affect soil erosion, using my book/powerpoints etc to help and still only got 34/80 for it!!!! I was so sure that I had the correct number of SRPS but apparently not :confused:

How am I supposed to this on the day if I can't even manage half the marks when using my sources and not under time pressure?!? :(

Here's the essay. Can someone spot where I went wrong? I think perhaps it's too short but I'm having difficulty getting more info. Again, if it's of any use you can use it!

DISCUSS HOW HUMAN ACTIVITIES ACCELERATE SOIL EROSION

Soil erosion is a serious problem caused by the wind and water flowing downhill. This vital resource is vital for human life as it is through soil that food is obtained. However, soil is extremely fragile and thus human activities such as overcropping overgrazing and deforestation accelerate soil erosion.

1: Overgrazing: This is where farmers allow too many animals to graze the land. This in turn damages the soil structure and removes the plants which would have given the soil protection from wind and rain. Overpopulation has lead to larger numbers of cattle and goats grazing the land. Their hooves are hard and thus destroy the delicate structure of the soil.
    When animals feed on the land they remove vegetation which is vital for providing humus. In a process called humification, micro-organisms break down dead plants, returning their nutrients to the soil. When this process is stopped, the soils become dry and dusty, and thus more susceptible to erosion.
    Aswell as this, overgrazing means that animals remove the roots necessary to bind the soil together. Roots anchor the soil and prevent it from being blown away by the wind. This changes the soil structure from a good crumb structure, which aids aeration, holds water and increases soil fertility. The shape of the peds, the small grains that make up the soil, are altered and so the soil can no longer hold water and nutrients. The rate of erosion is increased.
    The protective cover of grasses is stripped away by animals as a result of the human activity of overgrazing. The exposed soil becomes drier in the intense heat of the sun. They are then blown or washed away.
    An example of this human activity can be found in the Sahel region in Africa. Population growth has lead to overgrazing and thus soil erosion. The rate of erosion is so high here that desertification, or the spread of the deserts, is taking place in this region.

2: Overcropping: This occurs when land is continuously farmed,draining nutrients from the soil. The soil then becomes less fertile, dry and dusty. It is then easily removed by wind and rain.
    This is a major problem in many Sahelian countries as the economic climate is dire there. They availed of cheap loans back in the 1960s which they are now having difficulty repaying. They are considered ‘Highly Indebted Poor Countries’. To qualify for debt relief, the governments are forced to increase the amount of land under cash crops. Crops such as cashew nuts and cotton are grown on huge plantations. They are then sold on the international market to ensure the HIPC qualify for debt relief.
    This intensive use of land increases the rate of soil erosion. Often, the same crop is grown every year. This is referred to as ’monoculture’ and deprives the soil of particular nutrients which cannot be replaced.
    Aswell as this, the plantation workers live on and use the edges of the plantation to grow their own food crops. It is continuously in use and cannot be left fallow or the people would become malnourished and die. The soil therefore becomes overgrazed, dry and dusty. It is the eroded by wind and rain.
    Overcropping removes the vegetation that is necessary to add humus to the soil. Humus is important for improving the texture and structure of the soil and for ensuring it is moist. The structure is altered from loamy to sandy and thus is easily blown away and eroded.
    Laterisation also occurs due to overcropping. The exposed soil, such as the latosols in the tropical rainforest biome, are baked and transformed into infertile clays when erosion removes the topsoil.

3: Deforestation: This is where large areas of forest are cut down, leaving an exposed landscape. The tree cover provides vital protection from wind and rain.
    The deep roots from trees play an important role in maintaining the soil’s structure. They prevent soil erosion by anchoring the soil. When they are removed, the sun’s constant exposure dries the soils out and they are blown away in floods and landslides.
    Overpopulation and poverty mean that many trees are felled for firewood. They are also used as building materials as the impoverished people cannot afford anything. Cattle dung is also used as a fuel for cooking. This was previously left on the land to fertilise it but is now removed once the trees are cleared. This increases the risk of soil erosion as they are malnourished.
    Forests are also removed for economic gain, for example in the coffee plantations of Brazil. Vast areas of forest are felled to grow this cash crop and increase Brazil’s valuable exports. This also reduces the biodiversity of a biome as it destroys the habitats of certain arboreal species such as the flying squirrel.
    There is an increasing demand for wells which are sunk on the deforested land. Humans and animals need water for consumption and irrigation. These lower the water table and dry out the soil.
    Each year 13 million hectares of the world’s forests are lost to deforestation. This human activity in turn leads to the erosion of the soil by the agents of wind and rain.

MARKS: 34/80 :eek::(

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Paddyg96

For the regional section I am learning off the Paris basin, Mezzogiorno, Brazil, Dublin Region vs West of Ireland, EU and boundaries changes (all to a T) will I be sorted for this section?

Also if anyone has any tips on what to learn for physical section. Like the minimum chapters to learn to be fairly sorted as I'm against time here!!

What does everyone hope to get in Geog ? I'll be delighted with a B1 although I've realised that if I hadn't left all the study I the week before it I could of got an A !:/

Paddyg96 wrote: »
    For the regional section I am learning off the Paris basin, Mezzogiorno, Brazil, Dublin Region vs West of Ireland, EU and boundaries changes (all to a T) will I be sorted for this section?

Also if anyone has any tips on what to learn for physical section. Like the minimum chapters to learn to be fairly sorted as I'm against time here!!

What does everyone hope to get in Geog ? I'll be delighted with a B1 although I've realised that if I hadn't left all the study I the week before it I could of got an A !:/

You're sorted for Regional - I'm leaving out the Mezzogiorno (except population) and the West of Ireland (except population). For Physical, make sure you know all the rocks, particularly sedimentary. Guaranteed question every year on features of erosion/deposition. Human interaction with rock cycle and human interaction with surface processes - at least 1 of these has come up every year since 2006. I hope river erosion/deposition is accompanied with sedimentary rocks or the two mentioned above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭davidk11811

LeeLee97 wrote: »
    I'm leaving out the Mezzogiorno (except population) and the West of Ireland (except population).
    What do you mean population?

What do you mean population?

I assume he means population distribution!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 brooksyy96

whats everyone learning for physical?
    im learning human interaction with rocks and rivers , isostasy and sedimentary rocks but i cant find an answer for sedimentary

• Advertisement

Im doing india for sub continent.

Im so confused here if a question comes up regarding a primary economic activity you cant just straight write down farming, fishing, forestry etc.

Am i right or do?

Ive seen a sample answer on ' examine the development of a contential/ sub contential region you've studied?

It starts off saying i will discuss climate and soils instead of straight talking about agriculture , fishing, forestry etc? :( i dont get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 JohnDunne

Jaysis this thread really took off haha. Good luck everyone on the flip side anyways!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Geography always seems to get loads of discussion; think it actually ended up longer than English one year!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 rionakearney

Hey guys, does anyone have essays that are easy to learn on earthquakes/volcanoes/folding&faulting/plate tectonics?
    Also on human interactions with the rainforest biome? (h.l)

I'm pretty okay with economic/regional. I hope!!

Would love a B2/B3/C1 but I left these topics to learn til the last minute and they always come up! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

Imagine if Isostatic Processes and formation of igneous rocks came up on the same question, easiest 60 marks ever.

What is everyone studying for global interdependence ? I want to make sure I have enough.

I studied Aid, doing Sustainable Development, views of development and global warming + deforestation and a little bit on desertification, just incase they all come up in one question.

Do i neeed to know for regional:

West of ireland primary secondary tertiary
    GDA primary secondary tertiary

Mezzogiorno primary secondary tertiary
    Scania primary secondary tertiary

India primary secondary tertiary

If if i learn all those am i covered or countries or ? All help appreciated!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 JohnDunne

Anyone have a full essay handy? I know I'm late but I just realised it hasn't come up since 2007. I don't have any notes on it though as I've done geoecology myself (I do Ag so soils are grand).

Anyways, any help would be appreciated😬

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RoRo979

Do i neeed to know for regional:

West of ireland primary secondary tertiary
    GDA primary secondary tertiary

Mezzogiorno primary secondary tertiary
    Scania primary secondary tertiary

India primary secondary tertiary

If if i learn all those am i covered or countries or ? All help appreciated!!

imo your doing massive overkill,

west of ireland - pop dynamics
    GDA: secondary/teritary + growth urban centre
    both: agriculture essay contrasting them

EU:
    Core region: France- all has to be done foe Eu unfortunately, primary,secondary,teritart,pop dynamics, growth
    Peripheral: characteristics of socio-eco peripheral region

India: Primary/Teritary/Culture/Growth

Enlargement of the Eu on Ireland.

That should have you covered for at least 1q, thats what im doing and on contrast to my 8 physcial essay it is nearly double to work so should be enough there. Region in decline never comes up, regions etc if it comes up im not doing it except for socio-economic/cultural. India- dynamics + secondary last year. Contrast Eu regions last year, may do it again but i dont think so

RoRo979 wrote: »
    imo your doing massive overkill,

west of ireland - pop dynamics
    GDA: secondary/teritary + growth urban centre
    both: agriculture essay contrasting them

EU:
    Core region: France- all has to be done foe Eu unfortunately, primary,secondary,teritart,pop dynamics, growth
    Peripheral: characteristics of socio-eco peripheral region

India: Primary/Teritary/Culture/Growth

Enlargement of the Eu on Ireland.

That should have you covered for at least 1q, thats what im doing and on contrast to my 8 physcial essay it is nearly double to work so should be enough there. Region in decline never comes up, regions etc if it comes up im not doing it except for socio-economic/cultural. India- dynamics + secondary last year. Contrast Eu regions last year, may do it again but i dont think so

Thank god i'm not the only one! I'm following the same strategy as you! What are you doing for the physical? Let me guess - Features of erosion/deposition, human interaction, isostatic change, sedimentary rocks, karst landscapes?

• Advertisement

LeeLee97 wrote: »
    Thank god i'm not the only one! I'm following the same strategy as you! What are you doing for the physical? Let me guess - Features of erosion/deposition, human interaction, isostatic change, sedimentary rocks, karst landscapes?

Haha, these regional and physical topics are EXACTLY what i'm doing, plus a couple more physicals.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement