Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

!! HL Chemistry 2015 - discussion, guesses, predictions, explosions, etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37 ko3p

dazzadazza wrote: »
    What's the other new experiment? I'm familiar with the oxidation on penylmethanol one.

There's only one.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

What's the other new experiment? I'm familiar with the oxidation on penylmethanol one.

For the clove oil one you have to be able to describe the extraction of eugonol

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dazzadazza

OMGeary wrote: »
    For the clove oil one you have to be able to describe the extraction of eugonol

Is that just shaking it in cyclohexane?

Is that just shaking it in cyclohexane?

Think so, then you put it in a separating funnel and wait for it to split into the different layers

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lc2015x

Lads really struggling with what experiments to learn! Really just wanna break it down to the one's that are bound to be coming up! I know the new clove oil is one to watch for!
    Any good predictions please? Thanks a million!!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭AlfaJack

Do we not have to know how to prepare ethanoic acid and ethanal anymore? Do we just have to test for them?
    http:// www .curriculumonline.ie/Curriculum/files/7b/7b6ba389-c779-4b17-a6a9-e26534f12a39. pdf

lc2015x wrote: »
    Lads really struggling with what experiments to learn! Really just wanna break it down to the one's that are bound to be coming up! I know the new clove oil is one to watch for!
    Any good predictions please? Thanks a million!!

You're joking right? What do you mean by "new" clove oil? Is it the one in the book or is there another clove oil experiment?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lc2015x

You're joking right? What do you mean by "new" clove oil? Is it the one in the book or is there another clove oil experiment?

Sorry, didn't mean to write new :p yeah, one in the book!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭ThatsTheShtuff

The clove oil one that was always there,
    as well as the extraction of eugenol - very likely!

I think the iron tablet concentration one is also due,
    in terms of Organics, i'm thinking Ethyne.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

The clove oil one that was always there,
    as well as the extraction of eugenol - very likely!

I think the iron tablet concentration one is also due,
    in terms of Organics, i'm thinking Ethyne.

If Iron Tablets, Ethyne and Benzoic Acid preparation come up I will probably cry with happiness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭ThatsTheShtuff

If Iron Tablets, Ethyne and Benzoic Acid preparation come up I will probably cry with happiness

Me too!!
    I would definitely study the water chapter well also,
    and the experiments to go with it, since it wasn't up last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lorc43

This is what i'm going to be studying over the next few days. if anyone can give me any extra tips or advice i'd really appreciate them!

Section A EXPERIMENTS: in order of likelihood/ones which I will focus on most. As there are so many experiments, i just don't think SEC are going to bringup the same ones from 2014,2013,2012. But with their report on predictability in the LC, and whats already come up on my other exams, they might do just that.

Q1 (tirations/volumetric analysis experiments)
    Iron tablet
    sodium thiosulfate,
    % ethanoic acid in water,
    hardness of water,
    in a sample percentage of hypochlorite in bleach. They are 2011,2010,2009,2008,2007. hoping the rest won't come up again.

Q2 (organics) I am excluding 2014 (soap) and the new experiment, Will SEC really put it up the first year its on? I have never even seen it.
    Ethyne,
    extraction of clove oil
    chromatopgraphy,
    ethene (it is a possibility)

Section B (6 questions) practicing the following questions and learning all definitions:
    1 Organic chemistry
    2 History Of Chem / Trends
    3 Rates of Reaction
    4 Equilibrium
    5 Water
    6. Mechanism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

Completely forget how to calculate Le Chateliers principle :( Any tips :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

d1234 wrote: »

Calculate? Do you mean calculate the equillibrium constant? (Kc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Dianabluex

Kc=[products]over[reactants] must remember the brackets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 mikey00

Probably the last exam for good few people so gonna be important. Anyone banking on stuff coming up? Anyone have any help they can give on equilibrium?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Notsolovely

What's the exam technique here? I find it difficult to pick and choose questions. With biology I tried to just do the required number of questions but eventually felt so **** that I ended up doing them all. I have a feeling chemistry will be the same for me. Anyone else planning on doing this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

Calculate? Do you mean calculate the equillibrium constant? (Kc)

Yup, that's the one :) And then how do I answer a question like say what is the effect of adding more reactant / increasing heat / catalyst etc. Can never remember those bad boys :( Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Bsd

With new experiments brought in im not sure. What are the experiments we have to study from chapters 22 and 23 organic chemistry?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Iamtheduchess

Guys am I still safe for the A1 if I leave out Electrochemistry and rates of reaction? I just didn't learn them as we were doing them and it's a lot of work when I could be revising stuff I'm good at at this stage!
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 iang198

Does anyone actually know for definite if we have to know the theory on preparation of Ethanal and Ethanoic acid for section B?
    The booklet on the changes by the Dept. doesn't say anything about us knowing the theory of them but my Revision says we do..

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭gabsy

Guys am I still safe for the A1 if I leave out Electrochemistry and rates of reaction? I just didn't learn them as we were doing them and it's a lot of work when I could be revising stuff I'm good at at this stage!
    Thanks

I'm also hoping for an A and I'm definitely leaving out electrochemistry as it only comes up as a part of q10 or 11 and I'm hoping I'll be able to get my marks from the others.On the other hand rates of reaction is a very very important chapter in my opinion,it is very likely to come up in section A and if it's not there it will definitely be in Section B.It's an easy question If you know your stuff but I guess that's the same case with everything.But I highly recommend to leave out electrochemistry and don't waste your time :) good luck !

gabsy wrote: »
    I'm also hoping for an A and I'm definitely leaving out electrochemistry as it only comes up as a part of q10 or 11 and I'm hoping I'll be able to get my marks from the others.On the other hand rates of reaction is a very very important chapter in my opinion,it is very likely to come up in section A and if it's not there it will definitely be in Section B.It's an easy question If you know your stuff but I guess that's the same case with everything.But I highly recommend to leave out electrochemistry and don't waste your time :) good luck !

Ok thanks so much, I just find it difficult but I'll try give it a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Bsd

Chapter 22 and 23 experiments?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

Yup, that's the one :) And then how do I answer a question like say what is the effect of adding more reactant / increasing heat / catalyst etc. Can never remember those bad boys :( Thanks :)

Increasing pressure shifts the equilibrium to the side with the least amount of molecules. e.g. in 3H2 + N2 --> 2NH3 an increase in pressure will result in more ammonia being formed. This only works in an equation is in gaseous form

A catalyst doesn't change the position of the equilibrium, just comes to equilibrium faster.

Temperature depends on if the reaction is endothermic or exothermic. If the forward reaction is exothermic, cold temperatures will drive the reaction forward and vice versa.
    Thanks

I'd also recommend studying rates. Just be able to draw your graph and calculate instantaneous rate, learn your nature of reactants and types of catalysis. You're most of the way there then! Use studyclix to practice previous questions as they are very repetitive.

Corkgirl18 wrote: »
    I'd also recommend studying rates. Just be able to draw your graph and calculate instantaneous rate, learn your nature of reactants and types of catalysis. You're most of the way there then! Use studyclix to practice previous questions as they are very repetitive.

Thanks so much and yeah had a look at a question and it seems to be common sense kind of so I'll give it a go 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 2 genna8

Hey guys just wondering do we gave to learn Le Chateliers Principle experiments and if so is it all of them? Im just a btw confused cause the chemicals are banned but could they still come up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭EaSwe

genna8 wrote: »
    Hey guys just wondering do we gave to learn Le Chateliers Principle experiments and if so is it all of them? Im just a btw confused cause the chemicals are banned but could they still come up?

AFAIK No. I've been told we're only expected to know the experiment with Potassium Thiocynate.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 evanbeaulieu

EaSwe wrote: »
    AFAIK No. I've been told we're only expected to know the experiment with Potassium Thiocynate.

which exp is that? iv never seen that

• Registered Users Posts: 7 CyrilH_

The new experiment is probably going to come up. Definitely the titrations too.

Organic question has to be covered, it could even come up in 2 different questions but definitely one! Acid/bases would be nice too...... The 7 listed earlier are good bases to cover.
    Are those the only 7 probably guarenteed? I failed chemistry in the mocks but I've been getting help outside of school and studying it a fair bit so I hope I can get up towards a C :). Any help would be like hugely appreciated!

• Advertisement

which exp is that? iv never seen that

Mandatory Experiment 15: To investigate Le Chatelier's Principle using the reaction between iron (III) chloride and potassium thiocynate

There are videos of all the experiements on Folens' website, if you sign up and add the chemistry live videos to your bag and checkout (it's free for everyone regardless of your book) https://www.folens.ie/digital-products/lc-chemistry-live-experiment-videos

• Registered Users Posts: 27 evanbeaulieu

Mandatory Experiment 15: To investigate Le Chatelier's Principle using the reaction between iron (III) chloride and potassium thiocynate

There are videos of all the experiements on Folens' website, if you sign up and add the chemistry live videos to your bag and checkout (it's free for everyone regardless of your book)

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2 genna8

Thank you! Saves a bit of learning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mikey00

Does anyone know if we still have to know how to measure the melting point of benzoic acid or did that go with the new syllabus?

mikey00 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if we still have to know how to measure the melting point of benzoic acid or did that go with the new syllabus?

Still on

There's no "new syllabus". Just any experiments which needed Cobalt, or Dichromate were taken off the course, because apparently they magically became dangerous now than they were before 2011:pac: and an extra step was added on to the benzoic acid experiment and clove oil experiment

The theory of the course is the same AFAIK

http://www.curriculumonline.ie/Curriculum/files/7b/7b6ba389-c779-4b17-a6a9-e26534f12a39.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Chocolalla

Do people think anion test will come up as an experiment questions???

Chocolalla wrote: »
    Do people think anion test will come up as an experiment questions???

Doubt it as a full question but definitely somewhere

OMGeary wrote: »
    Doubt it as a full question but definitely somewhere

Yea true I think it's too easy , they love there complex ones

Yea true I think it's too easy , they love there complex ones

Did you call test for anions too easy? Haha I'm aiming for an A1 and I'm leaving it out completely because I can NEVER remember them. I'm also leaving out electrochemistry.

• Advertisement

Did you call test for anions too easy? Haha I'm aiming for an A1 and I'm leaving it out completely because I can NEVER remember them. I'm also leaving out electrochemistry.

I really want an a1 as well favourite subject what experiment and chapters you focusing on?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Johnjoeboy

Do we have to learn preparartion of ethanal and ethanoic acid or have they been removed from syllabus??

I really want an a1 as well favourite subject what experiment and chapters you focusing on?

I need the A1 for my ego since I'm pretty sure I didn't get it in biology. I did the 2009 paper today and got 91.25% in it so Theres little room for error.

I'm focusin on the redox titrations since its been water and acid base the last two years. I still more or less know them though. For organic experiment I've gone through them all today apart from the new one. I might do that tonight or tomorrow morning.

For the other questions I've put emphasis on atomic theory (q5) the organic questions (q6, 8 or 9) and I'm going to study my option really well tonight. The only thing I'm worried about is experiments coming up as part of long questions because I only know titrations and organic experiments.

What are you focusing on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Gryffindor

I've just spent the last hour scrolling through a chemistry jokes page on Facebook instead of actually studying. Productive as always, I am :rolleyes:
    Honestly it was worth it for coming across 'Technically vodka is always a solution' :pac:

Johnjoeboy wrote: »
    Do we have to learn preparartion of ethanal and ethanoic acid or have they been removed from syllabus??

I heard there were remov d I'm only learning Ethyne , clove oil , chromatography for question 2

I heard there were remov d I'm only learning Ethyne , clove oil , chromatography for question 2

Well only the preparation of ethanal and ethanoic acid were removed from section a.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭Cheerios

Does anyone have a copy of the DEBS/Examcraft papers for HL? Or anyone remember what topics came up in Section B?

I need the A1 for my ego since I'm pretty sure I didn't get it in biology. I did the 2009 paper today and got 91.25% in it so Theres little room for error.

I'm focusin on the redox titrations since its been water and acid base the last two years. I still more or less know them though. For organic experiment I've gone through them all today apart from the new one. I might do that tonight or tomorrow morning.

For the other questions I've put emphasis on atomic theory (q5) the organic questions (q6, 8 or 9) and I'm going to study my option really well tonight. The only thing I'm worried about is experiments coming up as part of long questions because I only know titrations and organic experiments.

What are you focusing on?

Thermochemistry, all water , trends , rates of reaction and ph hopefully the nice experiments come up like iron tablet , Ethyne, phenyl methanol , equilibrium

• Registered Users Posts: 49 sdio

I'm leaving out organic chemistry, I just don't have time to study it!

sdio wrote: »

That's like the most important section of chemistry , don't give up just do the organic exam Ms questions!!

sdio wrote: »

You can do that. I did it for the mocks and I got 78% due to also not knowing any of the calculations. The only problem with leaving out organic though is that you have the know other topics really well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement