Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! HL Chemistry 2015 - discussion, guesses, predictions, explosions, etc.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Deridovely

That new phenylmethanol experiment is almost garaunteed I'd say!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 WSG 98

Remember to focus on the guaranteed questions listed at the start of the exam papers.

Know your:
    1 Organic Theory
    2 Organic Experiments
    3 History Of Chem / Trends
    4 Volumetric analysis
    5 Rates of Rxn
    6 Equilibrium
    7 The Option

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dazzadazza

In the chemistry papers, question 1 is always a titration and question 2 is an organic experiment. Is anyone going to learn all titrations and all the organics and leave out the rest? Is it risky in case they decide to change it this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Ima_mokster

I highly doubt they'll change the way the do things this year, they've largely kept to the same routine throughout the years, but the titrations + organic alone count 17 experiments, which is still a huge amount! the remainder aren't too bad. I personally hate titrations

I highly doubt they'll change the way the do things this year, they've largely kept to the same routine throughout the years, but the titrations + organic alone count 17 experiments, which is still a huge amount! the remainder aren't too bad. I personally hate titrations
    do people often do that. I.e. Study titrations and organic and leave the rest. I haven't heard of anyone else doing it an it makes me wonder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Ima_mokster

My teacher said he wouldn't recommend it, but understands the logic of it.. the other experiments can come up as part of long questions so will require knowledge of them, but you can always skip that qn.. its up to you at the end of the day! but if you know all the rest you'll be able to answer 2 experiments.

My teacher said he wouldn't recommend it, but understands the logic of it.. the other experiments can come up as part of long questions so will require knowledge of them, but you can always skip that qn.. its up to you at the end of the day! but if you know all the rest you'll be able to answer 2 experiments.
    I don't know I just feel like it would be a lot less hassle. I mean you could have a fair idea about the rest and properly study the titrations and organic.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 shoopdeboop

Well this year is the first that the "Oxidation of Phenylmethanol" experiment is on, and they're fairly likely to ask that (as the organic exp.)

According to my teacher anyway 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 37 ko3p

A new Chemistry syllabus is ready to be introduced and will be in the next few years, so don't expect any changes in the layout of the paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭MF290

I don't have the solution, hoping someone else will give it a shot to compare answers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

What's the question?

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭MF290

What's the question?

Was going to post a link of the photo, but it says I'm not able to..... not a able to delete post either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

MF290 wrote: »
    Was going to post a link of the photo, but it says I'm not able to..... not a able to delete post either!

Just put a few spaces in the url and we can piece it together :)

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭AlfaJack

Does anyone know where I can find a full list of experiments for this years exam? Because my friend was saying there's a new experiment (Preparation of benzoic acid) but it's not in my revision book and our teacher never did it with us. I also just want to make sure I have them all covered! :)
    Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 owenoneill

There should be a list in the introduction section of your exam papers, or google 'LC Chemistry syllabus'.

Oxidation of phenyl methanol to benzoic acid is the name of the experiment

Thank you so much :)

How does everyone learn chemistry experiments? We haven't done them all. Also I noticed questions in exam papers on experiments that aren't mandatory. (Eg. Sodium Tartate one in the rates of reactions chapter). Do you learn them? There is a new experiment I heard about online but our teacher hasn't mentioned it. Could that come up? I think it's an organic one. I got 78% in my mocks and I feel like the experiments are what's holding me back. I'm looking for an A.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 2015lc

dazzadazza wrote: »
    How does everyone learn chemistry experiments? We haven't done them all. Also I noticed questions in exam papers on experiments that aren't mandatory. (Eg. Sodium Tartate one in the rates of reactions chapter). Do you learn them? There is a new experiment I heard about online but our teacher hasn't mentioned it. Could that come up? I think it's an organic one. I got 78% in my mocks and I feel like the experiments are what's holding me back. I'm looking for an A.

I think the experiment you're thinking of is the oxidation of phenylmethanol to benzoic acid. It's fairly likely it will come up! I can't post a link but just look it up and there's good explanations

• Advertisement

All about the preparation of benzoic acid is here:
    http:// www .gillmacmillan.ie/AcuCustom/Sitename/DAM/060/LSMS_Chemistry_Changes_to_the_Experimental_Work . pdf
    (without the gaps)

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

Some parts of the chemistry course confuse me too much, electrolysis especially. It's simple in principle but I can never get my head around the cathode - negative - reduction thing :/

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭iCrazzy

Im having some troubles with this qs.
    I get how to calculate the moles and grams and how to find x and the percentage.
    But how do they get 1.14.
    Dont you usually take away the answer u got in grams with the mass given in question to get percentage?

It says at the start of the question that the crystals of hydrated sodium carbonate weighed 2.5g.
    The 1.14g figure is how much of the 2.5g of the crystals is made up of actual sodium carbonate, the remaining mass being the water of crystallisation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Gryffindor

Quick question about the hydrated sodium carbonate question.
    When you use the (Va.Ma)/na = (Vb.Mb.)/nb to find the number of moles of base.
    Is this the number of moles of sodium carbonate or the hydrated sodium carbonate?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Jason_H

My teacher says Benzoic acid is unlikely to be question 2 as its far too obvious, but could be question 10/11.

She says organic will be loadsa short questions like 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 23 DaveMc90

Do you know the way the experiments involving ethanoic acid and ethanal have been taken off the course experimentally , and it does say we still have to know the theory , but does that mean it cant come up in section A but can in section B or can it still come up in section A ?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

DaveMc90 wrote: »
    Do you know the way the experiments involving ethanoic acid and ethanal have been taken off the course experimentally , and it does say we still have to know the theory , but does that mean it cant come up in section A but can in section B or can it still come up in section A ?

Think it's just Section B

• Registered Users Posts: 49 sdio

Gryffindor wrote: »
    Quick question about the hydrated sodium carbonate question.
    When you use the (Va.Ma)/na = (Vb.Mb.)/nb to find the number of moles of base.
    Is this the number of moles of sodium carbonate or the hydrated sodium carbonate?

Thanks!

They are the same thing. 1 mol of hydrated sodium carbonate contains 1 mol of sodium carbonate and x mol of water.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Gryffindor

sdio wrote: »
    They are the same thing. 1 mol of hydrated sodium carbonate contains 1 mol of sodium carbonate and x mol of water.

This makes a lot of sense thank you!

Advertisement