Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! HL Chemistry 2015 - discussion, guesses, predictions, explosions, etc.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 iang198

Do we need to know theory on prep of Ethanal and Ethanoic acid or just to test for them??

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Gandhai

iang198 wrote:
    Do we need to know theory on prep of Ethanal and Ethanoic acid or just to test for them??

i read the syllabus and frm wat i cud make out of it i can almost guarantee that its just the tests

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭ThatsTheShtuff

My teacher is fairly accurate at predicting (even though i hate the word!),

Ethyne or Esterification for Organic
    Iron tablet titration
    Test for anions and Flame Tests
    WATER!!! (people seem to forget about that, it should definitely be there)
    Equilibrium
    Rates
    Trends/Discoveries/Scientists
    Option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 FoxScientist

Chemistry: Definitely water theory and probably a water experiment
    Also iron tablet titration is apparently a favourite as well as the two new experiments.
    Anions and Cations might come up as third experiment either...

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭MF290

https ://imagizer. image shack .us/v2/320xq 90/r/ 661/jZHnOw. jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

MF290 wrote: »
    https ://imagizer. image shack .us/v2/320xq 90/r/ 661/jZHnOw. jpg

I don't do chemistry but here's the link for anyone who does, https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/320xq90/r/661/jZHnOw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 49 sdio

I got 0.088875 g.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Dianabluex

Chromatography very dued simple marks as well

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Gem957

What's your opinion on doing an extra question? Is it worth it or is it a waste of time?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

Think I'll do an extra. Usually I've loads of time over so I suppose it shouldn't impact that much on the others!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭expiiplus1

Can you still use sodium dichromate as a test for ethanol (in the yeast experiment) on the biology syllabus if it has been banned for chemistry

• Registered Users Posts: 49 sdio

expiiplus1 wrote: »
    Can you still use sodium dichromate as a test for ethanol (in the yeast experiment) on the biology syllabus if it has been banned for chemistry

Yes.. the marking scheme accepts either test.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Noire

Anyone have an idea on exactly how strict they are when marking the exams? Like how bad is this negative marking thing ive been hearing about :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭expiiplus1

Not 100% sure about the exact case of chemistry, but negative marking only usually applies if you chance your arm, like if you were asked to state a use of benzoic acid and you gave both "food preservative" and "rocket fuel." The marking can be pretty damn horrid in easy years though. In 2007, they refused to accept "addition reaction" unless you qualified it with "ionic "

Ah okay :( I'm mostly worried about the synonyms for words like if the marking schemes said 'make margarine' and I put down 'production of margarine' instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

What exactly is negative marking ?

Say a question asks for three points worth three marks each. You put down two which are right and one which is wrong. Instead of getting 6/9 marks you get 3/9 as the wrong answer cancels out the right one :(

I'm pretty sure that's how it goes but if im wrong someone correct me!

Noire wrote: »
    Say a question asks for three points worth three marks each. You put down two which are right and one which is wrong. Instead of getting 6/9 marks you get 3/9 as the wrong answer cancels out the right one :(

I'm pretty sure that's how it goes but if im wrong someone correct me!

That's encouraging :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

I think it's more like if you gave four answers and three were correct. You would only get marked correct for two as the wrong answer would cancel out one of the correct ones. I don't think they apply it too often though.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dazzadazza

Chemistry: Definitely water theory and probably a water experiment
    Also iron tablet titration is apparently a favourite as well as the two new experiments.
    Anions and Cations might come up as third experiment either...

What's the other new experiment? I'm familiar with the oxidation on penylmethanol one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 ko3p

dazzadazza wrote: »
    What's the other new experiment? I'm familiar with the oxidation on penylmethanol one.

There's only one.

For the clove oil one you have to be able to describe the extraction of eugonol

OMGeary wrote: »
    For the clove oil one you have to be able to describe the extraction of eugonol

Is that just shaking it in cyclohexane?

Is that just shaking it in cyclohexane?

Think so, then you put it in a separating funnel and wait for it to split into the different layers

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lc2015x

Lads really struggling with what experiments to learn! Really just wanna break it down to the one's that are bound to be coming up! I know the new clove oil is one to watch for!
    Any good predictions please? Thanks a million!!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭AlfaJack

Do we not have to know how to prepare ethanoic acid and ethanal anymore? Do we just have to test for them?
    http:// www .curriculumonline.ie/Curriculum/files/7b/7b6ba389-c779-4b17-a6a9-e26534f12a39. pdf

lc2015x wrote: »
    Lads really struggling with what experiments to learn! Really just wanna break it down to the one's that are bound to be coming up! I know the new clove oil is one to watch for!
    Any good predictions please? Thanks a million!!

You're joking right? What do you mean by "new" clove oil? Is it the one in the book or is there another clove oil experiment?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lc2015x

You're joking right? What do you mean by "new" clove oil? Is it the one in the book or is there another clove oil experiment?

Sorry, didn't mean to write new :p yeah, one in the book!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭ThatsTheShtuff

The clove oil one that was always there,
    as well as the extraction of eugenol - very likely!

I think the iron tablet concentration one is also due,
    in terms of Organics, i'm thinking Ethyne.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

The clove oil one that was always there,
    as well as the extraction of eugenol - very likely!

I think the iron tablet concentration one is also due,
    in terms of Organics, i'm thinking Ethyne.

If Iron Tablets, Ethyne and Benzoic Acid preparation come up I will probably cry with happiness

Advertisement