Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Direct Labour & BCMS

Options
  • 24-02-2021 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

I've got builder led prices for a house but they are too expensive. It would be 3 or 4 more years before I could afford that approach. By then my age and other factors may start to block financing so I'm looking at the direct labour option for next year.
    My question is if this approach would work with an Architect involved to supervise and sign the certificate of compliance or what are the implications of my having to sign as "the builder" myself - do I have to opt out etc? I'm happy to stay opting in, I just don't know if I can without a lead builder appointed.
    (Timber Frame kit would have a builder attached to issue their paperwork - “SC-RIAI ACCD 02” Ancillary Cert. & “SI-RIAI ACI 02” Ancillary Cert., same for other major trades, just don't know if this is sufficient or falls short somehow?).
    Can I still opt in or how best to navigate and be able to sell the house down the road.....
    Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,542 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

mike_2009 wrote: »
    I've got builder led prices for a house but they are too expensive. It would be 3 or 4 more years before I could afford that approach. By then my age and other factors may start to block financing so I'm looking at the direct labour option for next year.
    My question is if this approach would work with an Architect involved to supervise and sign the certificate of compliance or what are the implications of my having to sign as "the builder" myself - do I have to opt out etc? I'm happy to stay opting in, I just don't know if I can without a lead builder appointed.
    (Timber Frame kit would have a builder attached to issue their paperwork - “SC-RIAI ACCD 02” Ancillary Cert. & “SI-RIAI ACI 02” Ancillary Cert., same for other major trades, just don't know if this is sufficient or falls short somehow?).
    Can I still opt in or how best to navigate and be able to sell the house down the road.....
    Thanks.

You will be the builder on the BCMS.
    you may not be able to opt in as you may not be able to offer the ancillary certificates required by an Assigned Certifier.

You can opt out, and it’s up to the supervising professional to agree with you and stay on if he’s happy to,proceed. Some won’t work with self builds, some will.

You also have to make sure your financing allows self build.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭mike_2009

Thanks - An Opinion of Compliance is a possible route vs a full completion certificate. Would I be right in saying a potential buyer's bank would accept this? But....my bank won't accept this for a self build mortgage as far as I can see.....Catch 22! I love building regs!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

I have not yet seen a bank that demands SI-9 on one off builds. Opt-out has been accepted by any bank I've dealt with. Most of the bank officials don't have a clue of the difference though so it's almost pointless "asking."

Get your professional to fill in the costings for the bank and when they are accepted proceed from there. By that point your professional will have made it as clear as it needs to be to the bank that its opt-out.

Thanks for that. Just got word the Architect's insurance won't cover this approach so I'll have to find some other way or someone else.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

mike_2009 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Just got word the Architect's insurance won't cover this approach so I'll have to find some other way or someone else.....

That may be convenient for the architect - it's much harder work for the professional on a project when there isn't a professional experienced builder doing the construction. They essentially have to hand hold the amateur builder right the way through the build and expose themselves to a lot more risk of non-compliance as well as the large amount of additional work. For many professionals it's just not worth the hassle/risk for the relatively small reward.

• Advertisement

Totally agree with that and understand their perspective and wouldn't expect them to expose / risk their company over me.

Advertisement