Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Building regulation

Options
  • 18-02-2021 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Can the owners legal obligation to have a fire cert / building regulation be passed over in a lease to a tenant?

I am renting a premises for commercial use and entered into this with the understanding that building regulations were in place. It now transpires that they not do exist on the premises. What's more disconcerting is the landlord wrote into the lease that if any official notice is served with regard to building regulations, all costs associated with building regulations are to be paid by the tenant.

My question is. Is it legal for a landlord to write into the lease that the tenant is required to pay all costs associated with building regulations if notice is served?

My understanding was always that compliance with building regulations falls with the owner?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Can the owners legal obligation to have a fire cert / building regulation be passed over in a lease to a tenant?

I am renting a premises for commercial use and entered into this with the understanding that building regulations were in place. It now transpires that they not do exist on the premises. What's more disconcerting is the landlord wrote into the lease that if any official notice is served with regard to building regulations, all costs associated with building regulations are to be paid by the tenant.

My question is. Is it legal for a landlord to write into the lease that the tenant is required to pay all costs associated with building regulations if notice is served?

My understanding was always that compliance with building regulations falls with the owner?

Tenants normally need to have all the statutory certificates in place for the use they carry out in the building. You may also need a Disability Access Certificate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 itsagoodday

Thank you Gumbo for such a quick reply. I thought the responsibility and associated costs for attaining these certificates falls with the owner of the property not the tenant? Thank you for your help and advice.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Thank you Gumbo for such a quick reply. I thought the responsibility and associated costs for attaining these certificates falls with the owner of the property not the tenant? Thank you for your help and advice.

Depends on lease. But the tenant can be prosecuted.

Advertisement