Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Granny Flat

Options
  • 11-02-2021 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Looking for Clarification on a proposed Granny Flat. I realise that it must be connected to my House. The Doors ,existing and the proposed entrance to the Granny Flat will be 2 to 2.4 metres apart. I was hoping to incorporate a yard for bins and possibly a space for a large Propane/Butane Bottle.This space will be Walled between the Doors, but is it a Planning requirement for this area to be Roofed? Thanks

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Are you applying for permission for he granny flat?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 taffey

Hi Syd, I thought I had replied to you an hour ago ! Seems it's disappeared. Anyway Yes I will be going for Planning Permission the size will be 11 mts x 3.2 .Neighbours might have an issue, it will be parallel with the Boundary wall. Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

taffey wrote: »
    Looking for Clarification on a proposed Granny Flat. I realise that it must be connected to my House. The Doors ,existing and the proposed entrance to the Granny Flat will be 2 to 2.4 metres apart. I was hoping to incorporate a yard for bins and possibly a space for a large Propane/Butane Bottle.This space will be Walled between the Doors, but is it a Planning requirement for this area to be Roofed? Thanks

Yea. It needs to be interlinked and that connection needs to be an internal link which means fully inside and built to building regulations.

The large Gas bottle may also come into play here. Technical Guidance Document Part J and Part B, fuel storage.

Trying to keep Height to a minimum at boundary with Neighbour. Our bedrooms have this detail,is it still acceptable?
    Thanks

your measurements are wrong

youve shown 11 blocks, a closer and a wall plate and equated that to 2.4m when in reality its 2.65m

whats the existing height of the boundary wall on the LHS??

would your neighbour on that side be amenable to you building on the boundary to give them a new clean rendered boundary wall?

• Advertisement

Thanks AgainSyd, I didn't scale the Block courses,just drew them for effect basically,I've laid too many of them to forget!
    The Boundary wall is 1.9mts,8 course plus capping.the Neigbour is very "green fingered"! Also the wall is covered with Creepers ,Ivy ,Wisteria or whatever so not really amenable to it. My reasoning for the pitch roof is to keep the height lower for her,and also perhaps provide a Solar installation and Velux roof lights. Regards Derek,Taffey

thanks taffey

theres no problem in principle with your sketch.
    a good job of flashing down over the existing wall will be required though.
    personally id be looking at using some sort of a heavy gauge polythene internally on the wall, as a dry lining measure, just in case water ever got into the gap between the boundary and the new wall.

Advertisement