Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GOMO network and failure to receive SMS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 balmesz001

I also switched back to Three, all services are perfect again.
    GoMo and their attitude + competence is pathetic.

GoMo was not able to solve, what more check in detail my issues since end of November.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ivorb

I joined GoMo mid-Nov and had the same issue: No SMS from customers on Three and no SMS from Irish banks.

We went back and forth for 3 months with them telling me it wasn't their problem, it was the problem with the SMS Providers.

Eventually KBC bank gave me a nugget of information, saying that their messages to me were coming back with the error 'Unknown Subscriber'. I'm no expert, but from doing more research I figured out GoMo messed up my HLR record (Home Location Register) probably when they ported my number from Virgin.

When I told GoMo what the problem was, they fixed it in hours (by updating my HLR record). BTW, I checked my HLR record using phonenumber-lookup.info. If your HLR record is missing 'IMSI', 'Ported Network', etc., you'll have problems receiving some SMS.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭jimbob1255

ivorb wrote: »
    I joined GoMo mid-Nov and had the same issue: No SMS from customers on Three and no SMS from Irish banks.

We went back and forth for 3 months with them telling me it wasn't their problem, it was the problem with the SMS Providers.

Eventually KBC bank gave me a nugget of information, saying that their messages to me were coming back with the error 'Unknown Subscriber'. I'm no expert, but from doing more research I figured out GoMo messed up my HLR record (Home Location Register) probably when they ported my number from Virgin.

When I told GoMo what the problem was, they fixed it in hours (by updating my HLR record). BTW, I checked my HLR record using phonenumber-lookup.info. If your HLR record is missing 'IMSI', 'Ported Network', etc., you'll have problems receiving some SMS.

You are 100% correct. I have been having the same issues as you and have contacted banks And GOMO over and over, if I see that prewritten message about it being a third party service problem and not theirs I think I'll go mad. Anyway used that website to check my number and my girlfriend's (who is also GOMO but receives all texts) mine is missing a load of stuff compared to hers. Contacted gomo customer service and had to tell ask him 4 times to send off to get this checked for me but looking at this you should be correct.

Excellent stuff, will update when they get back to me to let everyone know if this is definitely the case and not just a once off.

My college just told me yesterday that he had the same issue since the switch, 1st week of November. GoMo solved his issue on 24th of January.
    He exchanged several emails with GoMo, but received the same answer always: it's not their fault. Then made a complaint at ComReg who were very helpful. ComReg contacted GoMo, GoMo contacted my college (under ComReg's complaint number) then the problem was solved in 2 weeks.

btw, I switched back to GoMo and now all works fine for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭rn

Anyone any luck getting gomo to fix your HLR entry quickly? I've just logged the 3rd support request, including the information about HLR entry this time. Hopefully this will work. And Quickly.

• Advertisement

rn wrote: »
    Anyone any luck getting gomo to fix your HLR entry quickly? I've just logged the 3rd support request, including the information about HLR entry this time. Hopefully this will work. And Quickly.

No luck unfortunately. Gave them all the info plus the website to even run my number and check and told them to compare it to the other number on my GOMO account which does receive messages. They told me today it is still not their fault and this isn't their issue to fix. Went to comreg to ask for advice on who should deal with the HLR and they have just told me that GOMO aren't set up to receive 2 factor authentication messages so they're under the impression no one can receive them. Gave them all the info about HLR and told them to compare it to another number but they ignored all that. I am completely at a loss so if you get anywhere with their customer service please tell how. Good luck

Once my HLR was fixed, I was able to receive 2FA messages from KBC and AIB (first time since joining GoMo three months ago).

GoMo claimed that it was Virgin's fault when my number was ported from Virgin to GoMo. They also claimed they sent my request to Virgin to fix my HLR and Virgin fixed it. I don't know why they needed to ask Virgin to do that, or what proof they have it was Virgin's fault.

I take a lot of what GoMo claim with a pinch of salt. I don't believe the extent of their SMS problem is beyond their control, and I think the HLR is a big part of it.

If GoMo doesn't have the ability to run a MVNO, then Comreg should take away their licence.

Once my HLR was fixed, I was able to receive 2FA messages from KBC and AIB (first time since joining GoMo three months ago).

GoMo claimed that it was Virgin's fault when my number was ported from Virgin to GoMo. They also claimed they sent my request to Virgin to fix my HLR and Virgin fixed it. I don't know why they needed to ask Virgin to do that, or what proof they have it was Virgin's fault.

I take a lot of what GoMo claim with a pinch of salt. I don't believe the extent of their SMS problem is beyond their control, and I think the HLR is a big part of it.

If GoMo doesn't have the ability to run a MVNO, then Comreg should take away their licence.

100% is HLR causing these issues. I also can't understand how your case hasn't been recorded so that once I or anyone else got onto them about this issue they had how they fixed yours recorded so they could replicate that right away for anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

Just read this thread - they sound appallingly incompetent!

There's a service in the UK called giffgaff that I think does the same job as Gomo (or Gomo in theory). I stumbled on it about 3 years ago, it was already established and popular then, and is still going strong. Doesn't sound as if Gomo did their research!

jimbob1255 wrote: »
    100% is HLR causing these issues. I also can't understand how your case hasn't been recorded so that once I or anyone else got onto them about this issue they had how they fixed yours recorded so they could replicate that right away for anyone else.

When they get a complaint about SMS routing, why they don't check the HLR as a first step (its free and takes 1 second). In my case they said they escalated it through management, so you'd imagine the fix would trickle down to the whole department.

I also can't understand why GoMo doesn't run a batch job to check all their customers' HLR records. Also you'd imagine they would have an automated check after a number is ported to GoMo. If GoMo has expertise in running a mobile company, they are doing a great job hiding it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭winter2019

When they get a complaint about SMS routing, why they don't check the HLR as a first step (its free and takes 1 second). In my case they said they escalated it through management, so you'd imagine the fix would trickle down to the whole department.

I also can't understand why GoMo doesn't run a batch job to check all their customers' HLR records. Also you'd imagine they would have an automated check after a number is ported to GoMo. If GoMo has expertise in running a mobile company, they are doing a great job hiding it.

You’re mistaking them for a competent network. They’re not.

Insanely frustrating. All I can get out of them is we cannot change your HLR. Tell them they fixed it for someone else still tell me they can't change it. I tell them don't change it fix it they tell me they've done extensive testing and there is no issue. Contacted old phone network they ensured me this was on the new network provider to fix.

Anyone having these issues bombard GOMO 'customer support' if you can call it that with live chats asking about it. I know I am anyway.

I got the most arrogant reply this evening that gomo can "assure" me that they "are not fixing the issue for anyone" as it's not their issue apparently. So the blame everyone else game continues. Comreg next. If that fails it's time to jog on. Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Might be worth sending an email to Eir CEO and copy Comreg including the correspondence from Gomo.

https://www.boards.ie/ttfpost/108942395

Contact ComReg. Nothing else will help. For my college on this way it was fixed.

Just an update on this. I was dubious about GoMo's story about asking Virgin to fix the problem, so I contacted Virgin. They got back to me and stated that GoMo never sent them any request.

Just an update on this. I was dubious about GoMo's story about asking Virgin to fix the problem, so I contacted Virgin. They got back to me and stated that GoMo never sent them any request.

I went back to my previous provider to ask was it up to them to fix. They have no access to do anything with my number once it moves according to them. Last response from comreg for me was over a week ago telling me they are finally looking into it. Make sure everyone gets onto them about this issue

I will log my complaint with comreg this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭emy

I just topped up my daughter's phone and charged twice, 2x 9.99. There is any Gomo contact no.?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Gooser14

emy wrote:
    I just topped up my daughter's phone and charged twice, 2x 9.99. There is any Gomo contact no.?

Why did you manually top-up? GoMo automatically debit the amount due from your registered debit/credit card.

• Advertisement

Gooser14 wrote: »
    Why did you manually top-up? GoMo automatically debit the amount due from your registered debit/credit card.
    I did not choose the automatically debit option, in fact i did not see it, supposed to be optional like PayPal.

I tried to remove the debit card details, but is not working, is not right.
    I did not know that once you buy the sim card your bank details are there forever, forcing you to pay each month. They should have given an option, or asking if we want to be charged same day next month, like Lycamobile does, and option to opt out too, but they do not.
    I just changed the expire date to 2050.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Gooser14

emy wrote:
    I tried to remove the debit card details, but is not working, is not right. I did not know that once you buy the sim card your bank details are there forever, forcing you to pay each month. They should have given an option, or asking if we want to be charged same day next month, like Lycamobile does, and option to opt out too, but they do not. I just changed the expire date to 2050.

Maybe you should have read their Terms & Conditions before ordering the sim.

Gooser14 wrote: »
    Maybe you should have read their Terms & Conditions before ordering the sim.
    That was the last thing I was thinking about. Anyway, I have sent them an email, I am curious .to see what they'll say. Now i realized that i am dealing with, the old dog Eircom, which holds all ADSL network.

I guess part of running a low cost service supplier is using financial models that ensure you are paid your fees, as going with slower optional models mean cash flow and possible expensive debt collection costs down the road.

Anyway back on topic. Found at the weekend that a person on vfone was trying to send me texts and I got none of them. Just compounds my earlier problems. I'm definitely getting texts from my partner, who is on tesco. Very strange.

Anyway, I gave gomo 3 attempts to solve the problems with texts. Now I've gone to comreg. They have currently referred it to the complaints department. Let's see how I get on.

Update 18/2. Comreg have pushed the request onto gomo. Ckmreg say it will happen in 10 days. Let's see.

Unbelievable. Official response from gomo to comreg request is... "It's not our network, it's the sending network that is at fault. These texts are not being routed to our network"
    Now in fairness to them, they have asked for specific example for them to investigate further. However we're not starting from a constructive view point wrt to solving my problem. Unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,724 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

emy wrote: »
    I did not choose the automatically debit option, in fact i did not see it, supposed to be optional like PayPal.

It's not a prepay network that you top up for credit. It bills once a month to the card you registered.

On this occasion, the mistake was yours.

Unbelievable. Official response from gomo to comreg request is... "It's not our network, it's the sending network that is at fault. These texts are not being routed to our network"
    Now in fairness to them, they have asked for specific example for them to investigate further. However we're not starting from a constructive view point wrt to solving my problem. Unfortunately.

Hopefully you get somewhere. The more people that complain the more they'll have to listen. I just got my final response back from comreg after I mentioned the HLR to them. They have taken GOMOs word at face value that they have exhausted all options and it is not their side. Told me to contact everyone I can't get messages from. Lame excuse, annoyed at them for it.

I have suggested to GOMO to set up another SIM on my account not a replacement SIM but a new number and let me port my number to it, then just delete my current SIM off my account. They won't do this unless I want to pay the 10 euro activation fee plus the new monthly charge so back to me pushing to do this for free and generally just annoy their customer service until we see do you get somewhere.

No joy with comreg. Very disappointed.
    I hope it's not as hard to leave gomo as it was to leave eir, who sent me threatening letters 6 months after I'd already moved to vfone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭mickotoole

I've wasted about 90 minutes arguing with them online. Here is what I received
    we can assure you that GoMo is not fixing this for any customers as the issue does not reside on our network. The lack of customer details for 2 Factor Authentication is solely with the SMS provider, not the operator (GoMo). We have completed extensive testing on this issue and we have proved with Bank of Ireland and AIB that they are receiving the 2FA requests, however, it takes time on their systems for your details to be populated after first registration with a new mobile network.

If after first registration your details are not validated with the SMS provider or the service provider (i.e BOI, AIB etc.) then the issue with the details not populating is on their end, not GoMo’s.

What is so frustrating is that I signed up with GoMo without porting my number. My wife signed up at the same time but she ported from Virgin. I can get SMS from banks/online services but my wife cannot. So when they say that it is a routing issue they are talking out of their arses. If it was a routing issue then it would affect all GoMo numbers surely? The only thing she can do now if find another provider. GoMo have absolutely no intention of dealing with this.

Advertisement