Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeopathy?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭williamgrogan

A friend of a friend, whom I do not know, has been diagnosed with “Acid Reflux”.

So he has decided to go to a Homeopathic “doctor”/practitioner/person/quack. Apparently also called a “Homeopath”.

“he thinks it's helping him”

“he did say he was told to give up alcohol, which doesn't sound like a bad idea …….. I think he's mainly concentrating on diet to fix his problem. He also said she (the Homeopath) told him he had "mould in his system”

My friend tells me that his friend has given up alcohol so it’s quiet likely that that is why he is feeling better.

"Mould in his system" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Facts:

1) Actually Homeopathy has been proven to work.

2) A properly made Homeopathic remedy will have *NO SCIENTIFICALLY DETECTABLE* trace of the orginal substance.

3) Placebos are scientifically proven to work and can give improvement in up to 30% of cases of some illnesses and symptoms.

4) Homeopathy in statistically significant trials performs just as well as a Placebo.

Surely if what is claimed by Alternative Practicioners is true, for really bad headache I should dissolve half the normal remedy in pure water.

I worked in a Semiconductor R& D lab for a while. Pure Water is nearly a contradiction! Everything, even the glass beaker and the atmosphere dissolve in it.

Diluting even with Semiconductor Fab Lab "pure water" (I know none purer) according to Homepathic recipe and you are drinking H2O with added Quartz, Oxygen, Nitrogen , CO2 and hundreds of trace minerals and gasses from the glassware and atmosphere. Even occasionally the odd ameboa and algae. (Plessey in late 1970s made junk for a few weeks because of such "organic contamination" of the process water).

Semiconductor Fab lab Process water is the purest most expensive water in the world. I'd be interested in what previous substances "diluted" in the water used to make the remedies. Or how or where they get the water.

Surely if what is claimed by Alternative Practicioners is true, for really bad headache I should dissolve half the normal remedy in pure water
    A large % of those complaining of headaches are suffering from dehydration. So water IS the solution. Since I realised this/read about it a few years ago I have reduced my headache tablet consumption by 99%.
    Placebos are scientifically proven to work
    Not true. X% of people THINK they do.

http://www.biopsychology.com/newsletters/vol5no1item8.htm
    The world average for placebo healing effects in these ulcer studies was 36%, and results for the United States were close to this value, yet placebos were effective in 59% of the patients in Germany but 22% in the neighboring counties of Denmark and the Netherlands, and only 7% in Brazil.

Also scarily for those that beleive in Voodo etc (same source):
    The concept of effects of expectations on bodily processes has been extended to include the "nocebo effect" (from the Latin, I shall harm). This is the concept that an inactive substance or treatment can cause distress, illness, or even death (such as have been asserted to occur as a result of “voodoo” curses). Understandably, there has been much less research on the nocebo phenomenon than on the placebo effect. In one study, 48% of 40 asthmatics who were exposed to water vapor and told they were inhaling irritants or allergens experienced substantially increased airway resistance (Luparello et al., 1968). The twelve subjects who developed full-blown attacks were relieved by the same saline solution when it was presented as a therapeutic treatment. Thus, the same substance, presented differently, was either a nocebo or a placebo.

Also
    http://www.rcplondon.ac.uk/pubs/ClinicalMedicine/0305_SeptOct_ed1.htm

Some chilling thoughts
    http://www.sustainedaction.org/Explorations/more_on_the_placebo_effect.htm

So I think we can conclude that Homeopathy does work in a usefull number of cases, but not for the reasons advanced by Alternative Practicioners.

Using Occam's Razor, which explaination is more likely?

EDIT: Oh I really have to add this here!
    Another simplification:

For things placebos DO work for, belief/expectation is required. If you don't believe in them, they don't work. So skeptics are usually "right," but probably more often sick. :-)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Myksyk

Dylan Evans' book 'Placebo: The Belief Effect' is quite good and is useful in correcting any over-simplified ideas about placebo. It addresses the possible biological mechanisms through which placebo may operate and discusses interersting research on the range of placebo-responsive and placebo-unresponsive conditions, the factors affecting the triggering of placebo, and crucially the limitations of placebo.

To say homeopathy works but not for the reasons put forward by AM people is true but probably not a useful way of saying it. Better to say that Homeopathy doesn't work but may trigger placebo responses in certain people with certain conditions in certain contexts.

It is here that the limitations of placebo should be highlighted rather than let people rely on products which may trigger placebo if they believe in it but which may have no affect on their condition if it is unresponsive to placebo.

Medicine has moved ahead to some degree by acknowledgeing placebo, attempting to take no credit for it (or the host of other biopsychosocial factors which affect outcome) and by developing medicinal products and procedures which work whether you believe in them or not.

• Advertisement

Though oddly, evidence now suggests that a "real" therapy may work less well if you don't beleive it.

Or

to say that Homeopathy doesn't work may trigger negative responses in certain people with certain conditions in certain contexts.
    :D

Though oddly, evidence now suggests that a "real" therapy may work less well if you don't beleive it.

This is not odd. It is to be expected. The placebo effect is a factor in all therapies (traditional, psychological and alternative). The difference is that scientifically based therapies recognise it, try to control for it in research and do not use its effects to bolster claims made about their specific therapeutic techniques or underlying theories.

LOL!!!!

I see that (at least for today) there are two advertisements at the top of this page ... one for a homeopath in New York and the other for a special offer on homeopathic products!!!

Are the boards guys 'avin' a laff then???::rolleyes:

It's not a concidence.

It is due to the way the google ad server works. Spend time in the Community | ICDG | Satellite forum and you'll see Satellite related adverts.

The search engine / advert "Bot" isn't analysing the semantics, just picking up key phrases and words .. hee hee.

If you had advert account and started suitable & interesting threads you could manipulate the adverts served to an extent to suit your own ends.

I walked into an organic food shop in Clonakilty last week and noticed that they also sold "New Age" stuff. In fact I've noticed this before. Odd that there should be a connection between organic food, supplements, vitamins and new age remedies.

Anyway, a customer came in and asked the owner had he a Homeopathic remedy for snoring! He pulled out a thick book and started leafing through it. I didn't bother waiting around but I strongly suspect that he did find a solution, excuse the pun. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Bernie57

The "Bishops Skull", a faith cure for whooping cough, which existed in Cavan between Virginia and Kells has now passed into my care following the death of Peggy, the lady who honoured it for many years. She was my late husband's aunt. We are keen to keep it available to everyone who needs it. So it is now in Athboy. Word of mouth will also lead those who need it to it but the internet is a good place to start. The O'Reilly family. It is free to all who believe in its power.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Bernie57 wrote: »
    The "Bishops Skull", a faith cure for whooping cough
    Do post a picture, please!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,226 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

How would you like a million dollars?

http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/1m-challenge.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Hooded Healer

It's time to Google "rearology"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

1. Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2002 December; 54(6): 577582.
    A systematic review of systematic reviews of homeopathy
    E Ernst

Ernst is a leading homeopath, check out the result of this review.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Would be really funny, if it wasn't real...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,051 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have never used homeopathy myself because I cannot convince myself that it has any value.
    However, some years ago I had a cat which got some sort of a skin disease, a bit like mange. The vet tried a number of treatments on it over a good few months, but it didn't make any difference. Eventually he said, look I'm not convinced myself, but there have been good results with homeopathy. He tried this on the cat and the skin complaint, which had been pretty bad, cleared up over a week. So, I don't know how or why it worked, or if it was coincidence (some coincidence though!) but that was my experience of homeopathy.

looksee wrote: »
    or if it was coincidence (some coincidence though!)

Why is it such an amazing coincidence?
    Sicknesses only ever do 3 things, get worse, stay the same or get better.

So which is more likely do you think: your cat just got better by itself or water can be magically made to remember a substance?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,051 ✭✭✭✭looksee

King Mob wrote: »
    Why is it such an amazing coincidence?
    Sicknesses only ever do 3 things, get worse, stay the same or get better.

So which is more likely do you think: your cat just got better by itself or water can be magically made to remember a substance?

It was an amazing coincidence if the cat got better in the week following the homeopathy having failed to get better over the previous 12 months. Of course he might have heard us discussing that he would have to be put down if he didn't get better this time!

I have no strong feelings about homeopathy one way or the other, though I would tend to be negative, I am just relating something that happened.

It was an amazing coincidence if the cat got better in the week following the homeopathy having failed to get better over the previous 12 months.
    And again why is that so amazing?
    Where other treatments ongoing at the same time?
    What was actually wrong with it?
    Of course he might have heard us discussing that he would have to be put down if he didn't get better this time!
    Not as ridiculous as it sounds.
    There is some evidence to suggest animals can feel a placebo effect.
    http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/?p=263
    I have no strong feelings about homeopathy one way or the other, though I would tend to be negative, I am just relating something that happened.
    The thing is you're not really relating what happened. You're relating what you remember as happened. Often there is a large difference in between them.
    Is it possible that you are misremembering bits?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

hipchick wrote: »
    First things first, the reason i quoted that homeopathy works for breast cancer is because when a friend visit her gp he found a lump, she is 37. The doc wanted her to get it removed, but rather then have the breast removed she wanted an alternative. Over a years treatment by an indian homeopathist she no longer has a lump. I think that if it works then yes people should be made aware of an alternative to a masectomy.

Placebo effect yes i do understand all about it but do not beleive that Homeopathy is like it at all.

Sound like a bad diagnosis rather than a cure.

I willing to consider a lot of alternative medicine , but homeopathy is way too far out there for me.

Might as well use holy water.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Histie

It was an amazing coincidence if the cat got better in the week following the homeopathy having failed to get better over the previous 12 months.

How is it amazing? Quackery like homeopathy thrives on the confirmation bias: there are any number of things which could have coincided with your cat's recovery, but which you would never dream of associating with the recovery. It is as a result of the association between homeopathy and curing that you picked out that factor; this confirmation bias leads people to disregard instances in which the treatment does not work.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

A group of people gathered around a car crash.
    Someone was pushing through .....

"Step back please, let me through, I'm a herbalist "

It amazing what some well placed parsley and thyme will do for compact fractures !

Advertisement