Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gate control help

Options
  • 08-12-2019 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi folks. Recently moved into a new home that was built in mid late 2000's. The electric gate is cintrolled by an act5 keypad remote sensors etc. The intercom communicates with the house through a lg nortel ipldk20 telephone exchange. This allowed opening of the gates through a key combo on the handsets in the house. A power outage has wiped the memory ofnthr ipldk and resulted in inability to open the gate from thr house or receive intercom calls.

My question is would it be stright forward to replace this awkward system with a simole audio or video intercom with gate ooening contol? The cabling from gate to house terminates on a patch panel labeled '5 pair to gate'. I would like to knoe if i can connect this uo at the patch panel to allow me to install a video or audio intercom in the kitchen which has both a cat t5e ethernet jack.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭kub

ooshaugh1 wrote: »
    Hi folks. Recently moved into a new home that was built in mid late 2000's. The electric gate is cintrolled by an act5 keypad remote sensors etc. The intercom communicates with the house through a lg nortel ipldk20 telephone exchange. This allowed opening of the gates through a key combo on the handsets in the house. A power outage has wiped the memory ofnthr ipldk and resulted in inability to open the gate from thr house or receive intercom calls.

My question is would it be stright forward to replace this awkward system with a simole audio or video intercom with gate ooening contol? The cabling from gate to house terminates on a patch panel labeled '5 pair to gate'. I would like to knoe if i can connect this uo at the patch panel to allow me to install a video or audio intercom in the kitchen which has both a cat t5e ethernet jack.

Hi Op, that can indeed be acheived, do you want to go the IP route or the traditional one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ooshaugh1

kub wrote: »
    Hi Op, that can indeed be acheived, do you want to go the IP route or the traditional one ?

Hi kub. Thanks for the reply. Could you exolain differences in both options? I would like easy to complete diy install if possible. Am currently in the process of reorganisig the comms cabinet to install ubiwuiti hardware for wired and wireless lan in the House.

Ok the traditional stuff is basically multi core or a single pair of cables required for a connection between the call station ( whether it be an audio/ video or indeed audio only ), however these went to fixed handsets in fixed positions within the building.

Your very mention of a comms cabinent suggests an IP type solution, i would therefore point you in the direction of the following :

https://www.hikvision.com/europe/Products/Video-Intercom/Door-Station

Or a company that has been doing intercoms for decades :

https://pro.comelitgroup.com/en-gb

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

*1 or *2 are the default door open commands on that pbx.

for replacement id suggest an IP intercom , the comelit VIP system is quite good as are some others, chances are youll be using the relay on the intercom to trigger the gates and theres probably wiring there already for it. If you can't find it the back of the act5 keypad (if the standalone one) has the relay contacts.

Thanks for the replies. The main confusion for me is the way the gate wiring terminates at the patch panel. Seems like the 5 pair cable is terminated at 5 different ports. Could i send you guys a pm with a pic of the panel?

Also the gate motor is a serai just fyi.

• Advertisement

*1 or *2 are the default door open commands on that pbx.

for replacement id suggest an IP intercom , the comelit VIP system is quite good as are some others, chances are youll be using the relay on the intercom to trigger the gates and theres probably wiring there already for it. If you can't find it the back of the act5 keypad (if the standalone one) has the relay contacts.

The pbx seams to have reset to a oreprogrammed state. The internal handsets are dead and the intercom at the gate just gets a dissconected tone when someone dials it. Would love a simple solution but if you think this is profesional level stuff i will happily defer.

ooshaugh1 wrote: »
    The pbx seams to have reset to a oreprogrammed state. The internal handsets are dead and the intercom at the gate just gets a dissconected tone when someone dials it. Would love a simple solution but if you think this is profesional level stuff i will happily defer.

Hi OP, for your own sake and as this involves auto automatic gates, then this brings the Health and Safety authority regs into this equation :eek:.

Go with a professional on this, for your sake and let the guy do a safety audit on your gates as he is there, something he should automatically do anyway.

kub wrote: »
    Hi OP, for your own sake and as this involves auto automatic gates, then this brings the Health and Safety authority regs into this equation :eek:.

Go with a professional on this, for your sake and let the guy do a safety audit on your gates as he is there, something he should automatically do anyway.

Yea think you may be right on that one. If you guys have any recommendations for someone in galway cuty id love to know. Thanks for the advise guys!

Advertisement