Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vuelta Stage 6

Options
  • 25-10-2020 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭

Vuelta Top 5 turned on its head today after the finish to Formigal.

1 Richard Carapaz (Ecu) Ineos Grenadiers 24:34:39
    2 Hugh Carthy (GBr) EF Pro Cycling 0:00:18
    3 Daniel Martin (Irl) Israel Start-Up Nation 0:00:20
    4 Primoz Roglic (Slo) Team Jumbo-Visma 0:00:30
    5 Enric Mas Nicolau (Spa) Movistar Team 0:01:07
    6 Felix Grossschartner (Aut) Bora-Hansgrohe 0:01:30
    7 Marc Soler (Spa) Movistar Team 0:01:42
    8 Esteban Chaves (Col) Mitchelton-Scott 0:02:02
    9 David De la Cruz Melgarejo (Spa) UAE Team Emirates 0:02:46

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Doc07

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Vuelta Top 5 turned on its head today after the finish to Formigal.

1 Richard Carapaz (Ecu) Ineos Grenadiers 24:34:39
    2 Hugh Carthy (GBr) EF Pro Cycling 0:00:18
    3 Daniel Martin (Irl) Israel Start-Up Nation 0:00:20
    4 Primoz Roglic (Slo) Team Jumbo-Visma 0:00:30
    5 Enric Mas Nicolau (Spa) Movistar Team 0:01:07
    6 Felix Grossschartner (Aut) Bora-Hansgrohe 0:01:30
    7 Marc Soler (Spa) Movistar Team 0:01:42
    8 Esteban Chaves (Col) Mitchelton-Scott 0:02:02
    9 David De la Cruz Melgarejo (Spa) UAE Team Emirates 0:02:46

Dan did a good job to limit losses to Carapaz to only about 30s and he put 15 into Roglic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Last few kms were chaotic. Was that due to the weather or what? Don't know exactly what happened Visma J today, a couple of crashes maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Hugh Carthy is going very well. Stage 13 TT might be his undoing, but he could go close. Roglic has had a lot of hard racing and will do well to make the podium. Dan should be in the fight for the podium. I'd make Carapaz a slight favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Hugh Carthy is going very well. Stage 13 TT might be his undoing, but he could go close. Roglic has had a lot of hard racing and will do well to make the podium. Dan should be in the fight for the podium. I'd make Carapaz a slight favourite.

How does Carapaz TT stack up against Roglics? That could be the real difference maker. 33.7km can make some big gaps! ITT is stage 13 incidentally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Carapaz is absolutely ruthless when he gets a sniff of an advantage. He's not an explosive attacker like Contador but he's very, very good at picking his moments

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Inquitus wrote: »
    How does Carapaz TT stack up against Roglics? That could be the real difference maker. 33.7km can make some big gaps! ITT is stage 13 incidentally.

I think Carapaz could put a lot of time into Rogic on the likes of the Angliru. The inclusion of the TT feels like a token effort for those with TT ability. The race will be won and lost in the mountains.

Need to watch the highlights to make sense of what happened there and see what happened to the likes of Kuss and Bennett. Probably burned out from getting Rog back on after a mechanical when Movistar put the hammer down. Rog was in Dan's wheel in the final and Dan dropped him.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Roglic was riding with no gloves late on as well. A small detail but id say the cold was getting to him late in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

dahat wrote: »
    Roglic was riding with no gloves late on as well. A small detail but id say the cold was getting to him late in the day.
    I remember going for a ride (in Belgium) the morning of one of the early spring classics about three years ago, maybe Omloop Het Nieuwsblaad. It was the coldest ride I've ever had - lovely sunny day but so cold that the water in my bottles froze. One of those rides where you can't feel your feet after an hour, hands not much better even in the thickest gloves I owned. Went home and warmed up in front of the TV and remember a Quickstep lad on the front of the peleton with no gloves at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Hardy bucks those DQS lads.

He has since said that there was problems putting a jacket on so dropped back but then the peleton exploded in front of him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

dahat wrote: »
    Hardy bucks those DQS lads.

He has since said that there was problems putting a jacket on so dropped back but then the peleton exploded in front of him.

There was a point where I thought he was trying to take a jacket off and I thought he was mad, but obviously was trying to put it on.

Eurosport lads assumed Dan was behind him somewhere and completely missed him coming in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

Carapaz isn't afraid to make an attack when he needs to either. How many times do you see Roglic end a stage and think he had more in the tank but didn't try to extend an advantage. Its days like this where he pays for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,046 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

What happened Kuss yesterday, he lost 10mins

The cameras completely missed all of that due to rain gear I think. Kuss must have blown getting Roglic back on. Movistar were fairly putting the hammer down before the climb.

Advertisement