Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help me choose a commuter bike (please!)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

The Cube is a much superior commuter bike, if you don't mind spending the extra 300 euro its far better all round than the Ridgeback, how far is your commute to work when you go back into the office? If all your spins are very short then the difference in quality will be minimalised by the fact you don't cycle far.

The Cube will also catch the eyes of bike thieves more, so make sure you get a good lock to go with it so you don't see a repeat of your bike being stolen.

God that Cube is nice looking to the point I should hide my wallet :D

It's hub geared and belt drive which I've no experience of, though have heard good things about in terms of being great for commuting. The cube also has vastly superior breaks.

Have you access to the bike2work scheme maybe OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭firefish

It's hub geared and belt drive which I've no experience of, though have heard good things about in terms of being great for commuting. The cube also has vastly superior breaks.

I will be doing the bike2work scheme so that’s true it is only €150 more expensive....I linked to the wrong frame on the Hyde pro, the bike in the shop is actually the unisex, higher crossbar. I would probably prefer the lower bar as that’s what I’m used to (I’m a woman I case you couldn’t guess) but I probably would get used to the higher crossbar.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,181 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

worth bearing in mind that one minor difference with the ridgeback is that it comes with mudguards and a pannier rack, so factor that in to the price of the cube too.
    also, the ridgeback price stated there is in sterling - what's the euro price?

worth bearing in mind that one minor difference with the ridgeback is that it comes with mudguards and a pannier rack, so factor that in to the price of the cube too.
    also, the ridgeback price stated there is in sterling - what's the euro price?

The ridgeback is €679

• Advertisement

On the crossbar height, regardless of being a woman or a man the lower one will be more practical with a child seat on the back. I have to lean my bike over a bit and step over to get on when I've our youngest on the back as I can't swing my leg over like I'd normally do without taking the head off my daughter :D

Inquitus wrote: »
    The Cube is a much superior commuter bike, if you don't mind spending the extra 300 euro its far better all round than the Ridgeback, how far is your commute to work when you go back into the office? If all your spins are very short then the difference in quality will be minimalised by the fact you don't cycle far.

The Cube will also catch the eyes of bike thieves more, so make sure you get a good lock to go with it so you don't see a repeat of your bike being stolen.

My commute to work is not far at all, 3km each way, 5.5km on days when I have to combine it with the school run so I guess not really large enough to justify great expense! Weekend trips are pretty limited by eldest kids stamina which is barely 10km for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Cubes are a very well made bike. It's much nicer looking too plus it's only 150 more as its ctw. It will have far better resale value also if you got injured and could not cycle.

2 more contenders (I think I’m just confusing myself now....)

https://www.360cycles.ie/merida-speeder-200d-2021-red.html

And this (haven’t tried this yet)

https://www.trekbikes.com/ie/en_IE/bikes/hybrid-bikes/fitness-bikes/fx/fx-3-disc-womens-stagger/p/28476/

The Merida was lovely and sporty but there’s something about the Hyde pro - if i could find the women’s version I would definitely go for it. Have gone off the Ridgeback Avenida having tried it out, think I’m definitely ready to move on from the sit up and beg position.
    Thanks for your thoughts all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

I think you'd feel the benefit of the Merida over longer distances as you said, it's sportier / probably lighter / accelerates quicker too. But as it stands, you probably won't be riding too far or too fast, as you mentioned.

But in terms of practicality and cycling with kids, the belt drive and hub gears on the Cube are a bonus when you consider how clean it is, and it doesn't require as much maintenance as a chain driven bike. Plus, curious little fingers won't get all oily.

Trek make nice, reliable bikes too, and come with excellent warranties. But if you can find the Cube in the size/frame shape you want, that would be the winner for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,655 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I've the next one up (Hyde Race) over 5 years and there is almost no maintenance needed on it apart from pump the tyres and I topped up the hydraulic fluid for the disc brakes. The belt and hub are fantastic and I'll never go back now. Near silent and no worrying about oiling chains or filthy trouser legs. Going to pick up the newer model after lockdown unless I get an ebike to have something different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

Sorry to but in! Any suggestions for a good lock?

Advertisement