Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving/Applying for a mortgage 2020-22 Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

I wouldn’t worry about it. The banks can be difficult but they’re not Scrooge level difficult. They know these things happen. Did you save much in the same month? If so then I doubt they’ll have an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 6,757 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Anybody receive their Letter of offer from aib recently? If so, how long did it take from the time you notified them you went sale agreed? AIP has been in place last few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

I did my mortgage with AIB. When we went sale agreed it was about 3 weeks later before the letter of offer was received.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

Got a mortgage from ICS last year. Took about a week or 10 days from first contact to approval. Maybe even less. They try to be very quick but obviously you need all your documents ready to go or you’ll have delays.

Just to advise everyone applying for a mortgage or planning to soon: get your mortgage protection insurance sorted very early in the process. It's tempting to just put it off and wait until you have a house sorted, but it can be a very slow procedure and not something you want to be rushing to do at the last minute if there's anything wrong with you at all; and if you can't get it, you'd want to start working on a possible waiver ASAP. Even if you're still probably months away from finding anything or closing, you can always take out a policy that won't start until you actually draw down, or cancel it if the whole thing goes belly up. It's just not worth the stress of trying to get it done at the last minute, especially if you only then find out you can't get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

I've seen your posts on other threads - this is good advice - as it takes awhile even for a normal mortgage protection process. For us it took a few weeks to get the policy approved even though there were zero questions re: health status.

I'm really sorry to read about the problems you're having but we're all rooting for that waiver for you. Best of luck.

Thanks! Just wanted to share so others can learn from our mistakes😅 And to maybe give a bit more clarity on the waiver process too, because it's very opaque. I had been sifting through many old posts about it, but none of them followed through with their successes or failures. I still don't really know much about it or how likely they are to give them out, but just wanted to at least give some example of things working out for others to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Does anybody know the max age PTSB will lend to? Is it 65?

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭bored_newbie

Can I ask a basic mortgage question in relation to paying off early?

For simplicity sake, say I borrow €100,000 over ten years. A fixed-rate loan and the interest works out at €20,000. So €120,000 in total to pay off over 10 years.

After five years, I manage to save enough to pay it off.

Q1. Assuming the bank doesn't want to charge me a fee, how much would it take to pay off the loan half-way through?

Q2. Are the banks enforcing penalties these days for this sort of thing? BoI in particular.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Q1 - that's very hard to answer, because interest is accrued/charged on the capital amount outstanding. It's not as simple as pay off half way through, pay half the interest. A lot more interest will have been charged in the early years. Google a loan amortisation calendar and you can see the capital/interest split of payments throughout the life of the loan.

Q2 - if you're on a variable rate, no. On a tixed rate, they can charge a break funding fee in certain circumstances. Full forumla below coppied from one of the banks websites, but it usually amounts to little or nothing. In your scenario, fix for 5 years then when you go to redeem early you will have already rolled back to a variable rate, so it won't apply

B = (W - M) x T / 365 x A, where:

B = the break funding fee.

W* = the Fixing Rate at the date you fixed your mortgage.

M** = the Fixing Rate at the date you wish to break out/redeem.

T = the period of time from which you wish to break out/redeem your mortgage to the end of the fixed rate period.

A = the balance of your mortgage.

* The Fixing Rate (W) means the market interest rate applicable at the start of the fixed interest rate term, for the duration of the fixed rate period.

** The Fixing Rate (M) means the market interest rate applicable at the time of the early repayment or conversion, for the unexpired fixed interest rate term. The rate applied is based on the remaining fixed rate term of the mortgage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭bored_newbie

Thanks for the response G_R. Just one correction, in this scenario the loan is ten year fixed so I don't think it rolls back to a variable rate.

I will check the loan amortisation calendar as you suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,508 ✭✭✭✭klose

We created a joined account before drawing down our mortgage, we were putting in 50 each a week to get the ball rolling but the house sale fell through sort of, fast forward to summer and we spent the money in the account for our staycation, we ended the direct debit to this account as we thought the house was dead and buried (kept up all our other savings etc that we had when we were initially buying the property)

Turns out the house sale is back on after the owners sorted an alternative place to stay to go ahead with the sale, the account had its quarterly fees debited and went into an overdraft of about one euro (yes really). I wonder will this effect us? its not a current account or savings account for us so i'm hoping not too much of a big deal will be made of it? Everything else with us is perfect otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Where did you set this up and do you have to be married? We're also in the final stage of sale agreed and are looking to set this up as well. Thanks!

I'm assuming you're wondering if the bank/lender will care, and tbh, I doubt this would really matter that much. They might ask a question about it at most, but they aren't going to deny a mortgage to a good applicant because of a one-off tiny overdraft.

You don't need to be married. If you're borrowing from an Irish bank, you should talk to them about it. For AIB at least, they will set up a current account and waive the fees as long as you use it to pay back the mortgage with them. My partner and I plan to do this if/when our house sale finally goes through. Not sure about other banks but they may have similar policies.

You can open it in any bank, and you don't need to be married. Technically there's nothing to stop you and I opening a joint account.

You'll be liable for a break funding fee so - this amount can change daily depending on the prevailing cost of funds (and can be 0 if it's not costing the bank anything), so I can't give you an idea as to what it will cost, the the forumla above is what will be used to calculate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭bleaks

Do all banks start giving out exemptions from early January?

Anyone know if you're better off waiting until then to apply, or could you apply in December for one?

Finally, do Haven and Avast also offer exemptions beyond 3.5?

Different banks have different policies. KBC and Permenant TSB at least seem to use theirs up on a first-come first-serve basis. I remember there were articles a few months back saying they had run out of theirs for the rest of the year. AIB don't, they try to distribute them fairly evenly over the course of the year. They have different policies on giving them out too. KBC will give you approval quickly enough for 3.5x, but if you want to get your 4.5x exception, they will only give it for a specific property, which is quite unhelpful imo, and probably slows things down quite a bit when you do start bidding.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭bleaks

Anyone know if Haven and Avant offer exemptions beyond 3.5x?

Afaik, all of them do, but you'd get a more solid answer if you ask a broker who deals with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

What is exactly the process when someone is selling one house and buying another.

Who runs the show if they have two different estate agents.

Is it run by the solicitors or the estate agent.

Eg who gives you the go-ahead to get survey done (assuming the solicitor has to be on possession of maps etc to pass to the surveyor).

In my experience, the estate agent liaises with the engineer on time and access for the survey. That’s for a standard suburban property though so might be different if it’s rural or it has a more complicated boundary?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Whodanoob

Can anyone tell me, hypothetically. When applying for a mortgage, say you earned 40000 this year, for example, but you are due to earn 45000 next year, can your employer say you will earn 45000, which you can give as proof to the bank?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

It needs to be backed up with payslips...they don't take future earnings into account, only what you earn at time of applying. Maybe wait & apply with the higher earnings if they are from Jan 22 onwards.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Exactly. Things change and the company might not be able to give you the pay rise.

Had the bank of given you the mortgage on this basis and you could no longer pay and it went down the repossession route they would be up against it for breaking Central Bank rules by giving you more than your CURRENT earnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Deckyalrite

Has anyone requested an extension to a letter of offer on a Mortgage with PTSB recently. If so could they advise of the current waiting time that would be great? Also is it taking long to drawdown. Just trying to get dates in my head.

Seems like we could be finally there but the drawdown might hold things up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Klopp

The 10% is a little misleading IMO. Yes, you need 10% before you apply for a mortgage or go sale agreed on a property. If you go Sale agreed, the EA will look for a deposit between €5,000 and €6,000. This is deducted from the 10% deposit on the property by the solicitor. The solicitor fees will include stamp duty, anywhere up to €6,000. You will need to factor in money for the survey ( €700 ), the valuation of the property ( €120 ) of the property which the bank will request. Then you need to take into account if you buy new or second hand, flooring, tiles, carpets and furniture, appliances to get you set up for the new few weeks. I would advise anybody who is currently saving to save, save and try to get upwards of 15% and if you have 10% apply now to a Broker as it can be a long process.

I think it depends. Has your salary already increased but you were on the lower salary last year? Did you earn less because you took unpaid leave (eg parental leave)? In those cases I think you should be ok.

By the way, if you’re in the public sector some banks will take account of your increments. I know ICS will assess your income as two increments above your current wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Shaw8494

Hi all,

I have been offered to buy a house unexpectedly, I have a 25% deposit and the mortgage would be less that two times my salary. However I am still in my probation period of a new job, under a one year contract. Has anyone any any advice or experience where I could start to try and get a mortgage? Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Anyone with PTSB and taken one of their cashback offers? How long did it take to get the cashback? Drew down 2 weeks ago and no sign yet.

Advertisement