Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

So he should have sat there and let him reverse on top of him? He had to have got pretty close for OP to be able to reach the window!

Kenm the Zenm Master. Practicing mindfulness on the rothar when some gobsh1te is about to squash him up against the wall because they're too busy watching youtube in their car.

:p:p:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

School pick-up time?

It was about 3pm. Guy was in his 70s I'd say. When he pulled on he found a parking spot 100m away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

So he should have sat there and let him reverse on top of him? He had to have got pretty close for OP to be able to reach the window!

Or just go round him - whats the point in getting all bangy window about a nob end. The op came round the corner, *stopped, waited* until the idiot reversed or came closer to the car and started banging the window.

Alternatively he could be up at the baggot st end no worries, while idiot fu(k head is still meandering all over the place!

Kenm the Zenm Master. Practicing mindfulness on the rothar when some gobsh1te is about to squash him up against the wall because they're too busy watching youtube in their car.

:p:p:p

:D

But you know what I mean, right? - I'm not trying to be a prick about it - I've banged many a bonnet (oh er!), roared at w@nkers all over the place - I'd say a fair chunk of those cases were me just wanting to give out and actually nothing that bad happened (similar to what I understand above - hopefully the OP wasn't actually in danger or hurt in any way) other than an idiot being in an idiot!

Effects wrote: »
    It was about 3pm. Guy was in his 70s I'd say. When he pulled on he found a parking spot 100m away.

Fair chance he shouldn't be driving - if he is unable to differentiate a cycle lane from parking spaces..

kenmm wrote: »
    Looks like the road was clear tho - wouldn't you just overtake?
    Why should I have to move into the road to facilitate someone wanting to park on a bike lane?
    Getting annoyed to the point of banging on someones window isnt going to help you or the driver.
    I stopped in the bike lane. He continued reversing. Banging on his window stopped him reversing into me, so I'd consider that helping me.
    if I am right, that just at the pinch point where the bollards end, where the cycle lane merges with the driving lanes?

His car was inside the bollards.
    Plus - you didn't just 'ask him to move', you banged on his window.

The bang on the window was to stop him reversing into me.
    When he opened his window I told him he was blocking the lane and to move on.

Maybe you're right though. Maybe cars should be allowed to park in bike lanes where ever they want.

Maybe you're right though. Maybe cars should be allowed to park in bike lanes where ever they want.

Don't be smart - you know thats not the point I am making.

You essentially roared at an old man who made a mistake. You came on a forum to back up your point. I am suggesting an alternative that would have saved aggro and ensured you were safe (from what I can tell you weren't really in any danger, just annoyed, possibly because you had just cycled through a city full of arsehole behaviour and this guy was the icing on the cake - I dunno).

This attitude is what feeds into what is becoming a toxic situation in Dublin. Cars vs bikes, us vs them etc etc.

I hope you try and listen to what I am saying rather than take offense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,488 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Still doesn't excuse reversing somewhat blindly
    Fully agree - wasn't trying to excuse anything - just trying to understand the background.
    So probably a grandad on school collection duty.
    Or just go round him - whats the point in getting all bangy window about a nob end. The op came round the corner, *stopped, waited* until the idiot reversed or came closer to the car and started banging the window.

Alternatively he could be up at the baggot st end no worries, while idiot fu(k head is still meandering all over the place!
    The point in getting all bangy window is that now, Grandad is less likely to park in the bike lane the next time he does a school pick up.

You essentially roared at an old man who made a mistake. You came on a forum to back up your point. I am suggesting an alternative that would have saved aggro and ensured you were safe (from what I can tell you weren't really in any danger, just annoyed, possibly because you had just cycled through a city full of arsehole behaviour and this guy was the icing on the cake - I dunno).

This attitude is what feeds into what is becoming a toxic situation in Dublin. Cars vs bikes, us vs them etc etc.

I hope you try and listen to what I am saying rather than take offense.
    What feeds into a toxic situation in Dublin is drivers who think traffic laws don't apply to them when they 'need' to stop at a shop or stop to collect a child or stop for any reason really. By taking assertive action, he reduced the chances of this happening again - that is a good thing.

What feeds into a toxic situation in Dublin is drivers who think traffic laws don't apply to them when they 'need' to stop at a shop or stop to collect a child or stop for any reason really. By taking assertive action, he reduced the chances of this happening again - that is a good thing.

I disagree completely, all road users need to take collective responsibility for the safety of each other.

People on the cycling forum homogenising and depersonalising drivers of cars and seeing them as one group is of as much use as car drivers thinking all cyclists are RLJ pricks.

'taking assertive action'
    You really think this guy who tried to park in the bike lane was taught something by knocking his window?
    Or is it possible that this behaviour has just moved him into the group that all cyclists are lycra clad ***** that do whatever they want?

• Advertisement

You essentially roared at an old man who made a mistake.

It is the point you are making. You're excusing bad driving, and saying nothing should be done about it.

And I didn't roar at anyone, that part is what you imagine happened.
    Roaring at people gets you nowhere. Being calm and assertive works better most of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

If cyclists were empowered to call out poor driver behaviour (by Gardai actually listening to and following up on complaints) then the roads would be a much more enjoyable and safer place to cycle.

You have all gotten a whole backstory about this grandad stopping to collect kids etc being a selfish fu(k- he may just be a confused old duffer that didn't know what the fu(k was going on - got his licence in the days when Ireland gave them out for free. Who knows and more importantly what difference does it make? You won't teach anyone on the site of the road.

Actually I would go further to say its there is a collective detrimental effect as you are making this behaviour expected and normalised, which means that when there is real danger and a thump or a roar is required, then it is more likely to be ignored. Why - because its just another d!ck on a bike (when actually its someone about to be properly squeezed).

Think about how acceptable its become for cars to jump red lights in the last 10 years - now every junction will have multiple cars sailing through on solid reds. I don't know if there is some psychological term or something, but to me its the same - group behaviour, bit by bit, leading to a worsening of standards.

If cyclists were empowered to call out poor driver behaviour (by Gardai actually listening to and following up on complaints) then the roads would be a much more enjoyable and safer place to cycle.

yes - for sure - a more proactive approach by the authorities in general would stop a lot of crappy behaviour and lead to improved commutes for everyone. I believe firmly that if
    everyone had a bit more cop on, the roads would be much more pleasant and stress free.

But unfortunately our police are only there to meet targets and monetise. General safety and enjoyment arent under the current remit.

You have all gotten a whole backstory about this grandad stopping to collect kids etc being a selfish fu(k- he may just be a confused old duffer that didn't know what the fu(k was going on - got his licence in the days when Ireland gave them out for free. Who knows and more importantly what difference does it make? You won't teach anyone on the site of the road.

Actually I would go further to say its there is a collective detrimental effect as you are making this behaviour expected and normalised, which means that when there is real danger and a thump or a roar is required, then it is more likely to be ignored. Why - because its just another d!ck on a bike (when actually its someone about to be properly squeezed).

Think about how acceptable its become for cars to jump red lights in the last 10 years - now every junction will have multiple cars sailing through on solid reds. I don't know if there is some psychological term or something, but to me its the same - group behaviour, bit by bit, leading to a worsening of standards.

Do you now think though that the reason, to use your example, red light jumping is so prevalent is precisely because people have been silent about it whereas if people were more vocal (in conjunction with actual police presence and intervention) it wouldn't be as bad as it is.

You even say that group behaviour can lead to worsening of standards, there's no reason the opposite can't be true.

Group behaviour, in this case cyclists being more assertive and frequent in calling out ****ty driver behaviour, can lead to an increase in standards.

It is the point you are making. You're excusing bad driving, and saying nothing should be done about it.

And I didn't roar at anyone, that part is what you imagine happened.
    Roaring at people gets you nowhere. Being calm and assertive works better most of the time.

Fair enough, I am generalising about the shouty bit.

I am not excusing bad driving or saying nothing should be done. I am saying that you didnt have to do anything and what you did was probably ineffective anyway, possibly to the point that if we all acted this way it would lead to a much more stressful environment.

Being calm and assertive fair enough - but are you sure that it was taken this way? Can you be sure that every time you act 'assertively' that it will be? Look at how many times taking primary, for example, (a fair and adssertive action) leads to punishment passes often, (again generalising) by "professional" drivers.

• Advertisement

Do you now think though that the reason, to use your example, red light jumping is so prevalent is precisely because people have been silent about it whereas if people were more vocal (in conjunction with actual police presence and intervention) it wouldn't be as bad as it is.

You even say that group behaviour can lead to worsening of standards, there's no reason the opposite can't be true.

Group behaviour, in this case cyclists being more assertive and frequent in calling out ****ty driver behaviour, can lead to an increase in standards.

Tough call tbh - because a lot of the time, taking the law into ones own hands, often offends people (especially the stupid). If hurts someones ego and therefore they are more likely to retaliate in a negative way. If I had the money I'd go back and study this!

The people with actual authority should for sure be taking ownership of this. But due to years of cuts there is not a chance. Unless a lot more people start getting killed, in which case there will be a reactionary response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

No dangerous over take or close pass. Just someone doing something stupid and being lucky having good breaks in the wet.

https://streamable.com/bsode

I disagree completely, all road users need to take collective responsibility for the safety of each other.

Except drivers are rarely in any physical danger from bad cycling.
    The opposite applies when it's bad driving and a cyclist.
    The safety issue doesn't equate.
    You really think this guy who tried to park in the bike lane was taught something by knocking his window?

Do you really think the situation will get better by just allowing people to block cycle lanes due to laziness?
    He's forcing cyclists to move from a protected cycle lane, through the wands, into a busy car lane, on a corner where people generally speed in cars.
    That might be fine for you or me, but maybe not for more vulnerable or inexperienced cyclists. It's the kind of thing that would put off a parent bringing their child on a bike, who will end up just driving instead.
    Or is it possible that this behaviour has just moved him into the group that all cyclists are lycra clad ***** that do whatever they want?

If he can't see that he's better off parking in parking space 100m away, rather than manoeuvring into blocking a cycle lane then perhaps he shouldn't be on the road at all.

I am saying that you didnt have to do anything and what you did was probably ineffective anyway.
    You could be right there.
    Being calm and assertive fair enough - but are you sure that it was taken this way?

Doubtful it was taken this way, as I passed when he was pulling into the proper parking spot and he shouted expletives at me. I just smiled at him.

I agree with your point - but to add in, cyclists ARE empowered to call out poor driver behaviour on a 1:1 case-by-case basis. Unfortunately, there is little chance of Garda follow up, but it is possible to make behaviour such as bad parking socially unacceptable. If every driver knows that every time they try to park on a bike lane, somebody is probably going to pull up at their window and ask them to move, they will be less likely to park.
    But unfortunately our police are only there to meet targets and monetise.
    Gardai don't monetise anything. For example, the speed van contract costs the state about €10 million each year. That's two schools not getting built each year because drivers won't obey speed limits.
    Tough call tbh - because a lot of the time, taking the law into ones own hands, often offends people (especially the stupid). If hurts someones ego and therefore they are more likely to retaliate in a negative way. If I had the money I'd go back and study this!

The people with actual authority should for sure be taking ownership of this. But due to years of cuts there is not a chance. Unless a lot more people start getting killed, in which case there will be a reactionary response.
    So we can't ask someone to move their illegally parked car in case they get offended? If I let my dog crap on your lawn every morning, are you going to worry about how offended I will get when you ask me to stop?
    Road users rarely react well to be admonished by other road users. In most cases, people get thick and defensive. If the goal is to get them to reflect on their behaviour, then nine times out of ten, you're probably not going to achieve it.

The driver getting defensive is not an indicator that your interaction doesn't have a positive impact. They may well get defensive, and still may well think twice about the illegal parking next time round.
    If the 'old duffer' (your words) doesn't know WTF is going on, then he shouldn't be behind the wheel of a lethal weapon.

• Advertisement

I'm not saying cyclists should break the law to enforce the law, which is what you've implied by saying taking the law into one's own hands, I'm saying that cyclists could be more vocal in calling out poor driver behaviour when they see it. And if this happened then less motorists would act the dick.

It needs a cultural shift and while it'd be great if the gardai, RSA, local authorities etc took the lead on it, I don't see any reason why it can't be lead from the bottom up.

I agree with your point - but to add in, cyclists ARE empowered to call out poor driver behaviour on a 1:1 case-by-case basis. Unfortunately, there is little chance of Garda follow up, but it is possible to make behaviour such as bad parking socially unacceptable. If every driver knows that every time they try to park on a bike lane, somebody is probably going to pull up at their window and ask them to move, they will be less likely to park.

I actually meant to write more empowered.

I'd agree with the bolded part, go to places like Amsterdam or Copenhagen and see what happens if you even walk in a cycle lane, never mind park a car in one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

What happens if the next time he does it, a small child is cycling along there and he hasn't noticed. No need to be aggressive but pointing out his stupidity is fair game.

Cyclist this morning went through a red and cut across a ped, then went through a zebra crossing as 3 people were on it. Next a car was turning right into a parking space and as it started, he went around them, on the right. I called him on it, told him he was a f*cking idiot who would get himself or someone else injured. It might not change his attitude but then again it might, but if I said nothing, he would never change.

Not advocating starting arguments but if someone is an idiot, they should have it pointed out to them IMO I get it pointed out to me all the time, and while I can, on occasion, be annoyed at the time, I know better the next time.

Do you really think the situation will get better by just allowing people to block cycle lanes due to laziness?

You are not there to police the roads. You have no authority and as a result no one will give a damn.
    He's forcing cyclists to move from a protected cycle lane, through the wands, into a busy car lane, on a corner where people generally speed in cars.
    That might be fine for you or me, but maybe not for more vulnerable or inexperienced cyclists. It's the kind of thing that would put off a parent bringing their child on a bike, who will end up just driving instead.

Generally yes, but clearly not in this situation. You are not so rigid that you cannot adapt to situations.
    If he can't see that he's better off parking in parking space 100m away, rather than manoeuvring into blocking a cycle lane then perhaps he shouldn't be on the road at all.
    Absolutely - again, not much you can do about it (except what you did do, which I think wont achieve your goal..) but we can agree to disagree!

Kander wrote: »
    No dangerous over take or close pass. Just someone doing something stupid and being lucky having good breaks in the wet.

https://streamable.com/bsode
    Sometimes when that happens me, I find that my foot slips out just as I move in front of the vehicle, leading to a bit of a delay as I get myself sorted again.
    Have you ever met someone who's told you that they had a full on row with someone on the road but once they'd gotten home and calmed down, they'd realised the other person had a point? I haven't....
    Have you ever met someone who did something sh1tty and dangerous on the road, and no-one said anything to them about about, and once they got home they realised they were wrong?

If you do nothing, nothing changes. That's 100% certain.

Anyway - I need to do some actual work!

Every situation is different and all these hypotheticals on top of hypotheticals is fine. Hopefully some food for thought. I wasn't there with the OP and don't know how bad it actually was. I am not saying you should let people dangerously take the piss or suggesting people are advocating breaking the law. But as fellow road users we are not there to enforce the law. Even if the person should clearly not be driving or whatever.

All we can do is ensure safety of ourselves and others.

An awareness that interactions with some people will often lead to them retaliating in worse ways is often missing as many people adopt this black and white thinking and a bit of self righteousness and therefore situations often escalate (or worse lead to other bad interactions with other road users later in the day). I am not saying this happened here.

All we can do is ensure safety of ourselves and others.

Telling other people to stop doing dangerous sh1t is absolutely ensuring safety of ourselves and others.

I'm reminded of my post from the other day on this...

I actually remembered some other boardie having the same problem on that roundabout video which is why I posted this one.

I'm building a library of stupid things drivers do to counter argue people when they go on a rant about people on bikes. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Usually, if someone is creating an obstruction through bad driving/rule breaking I'll just go around them. Stopping to have a barney rarely improves the situation and you're just creating a hazard because the two of you are focused on arguing with one and other rather than on what's going on around you.

Road users rarely react well to be admonished by other road users. In most cases, people get thick and defensive. If the goal is to get them to reflect on their behaviour, then nine times out of ten, you're probably not going to achieve it.

3 mornings out of 4 this week there's been a pedestrian at this section of pathway trying to block cyclists on their bikes - arms spread wide either side of himself - whilst roaring about cycling on the path.

I've simply nipped onto the grass and gone around him (and this morning sent a text to a Garda I know based on Donnybrook), but I've seen others roaring abuse at him as they've passed also.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.339881,-6.2275728,3a,49y,173.42h,93.22t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1stKRQwJ0Jh2q-VWAscecnNQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Similar logic to what's being argued above - I'm struggling to see how getting into a confrontational situation is going to make anyone reconsider their behaviour - IMO it's far more likely to result in more deeply entrenched positions.

Yeah. Every time I've made a mistake, done something rash, or a misjudged something while driving or cycling, I've realised it myself and resolved to avoid making the same mistake twice.

Any time I've had someone shouting or beeping at me, they've either a.) been in the wrong, or b.) telling me something I've already realised.

Most of the time it's been a.) though. People's aggressiveness is usually in inverse proportion to their knowledge of road traffic law.

And for other less perfect humans than yourself, the drivers that we see speeding, using their phones, watching videos, parking on cycle lanes every day

Do you know any of them that suddenly have 'road to Damascus' style conversions to become compliant drivers without anyone actually saying something?

Do you extend this approach to other areas of life - parenting, dog training, managing employees - just say nothing about any problems and hope that they sort themselves out?

• Advertisement

Yeah, commenting on random strangers' parenting skills usually ends well alright.;)

I'm not suggesting that you comment on other people's parenting skills.

I'm wondering whether, when your kids (or your dog, or your staff) do something wrong, you just keep your mouth shut and hope they'll sort it out themselves, or do you actually say something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I'm reminded of my post from the other day on this...

Whilst I acknowledge that she was turning right (which means that she can stop on a yellow box), she ended up obstructing the road which caused a danger to you. Her move onto the box was made out of selfishness - this is why she deliberately blocked the road whilst traffic was approaching from her right.

This is not actually true. You are not allowed onto the yellow box unless your exit is clear. Turning left or going straight ahead is no problem but when turning right, there may be oncoming traffic that you need to wait for. That is the only circumstance where you are allowed stop on the yellow box.

The situation we regularly see is where the exit to the right is blocked so somebody drives onto the box to wait for the exit to clear. This leads to the junction being illegally blocked. This behaviour is simple selfishness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

cdaly_ wrote: »
    This is not actually true. You are not allowed onto the yellow box unless your exit is clear. Turning left or going straight ahead is no problem but when turning right, there may be oncoming traffic that you need to wait for. That is the only circumstance where you are allowed stop on the yellow box.

The situation we regularly see is where the exit to the right is blocked so somebody drives onto the box to wait for the exit to clear. This leads to the junction being illegally blocked. This behaviour is simple selfishness.
    Unless I'm mistaken this is the actual law, there's an exemption from waiting for your exit be to be clear when you're turning right.
    Box junctions

29. (1) Subject to sub-article (2), where traffic sign number RRM 020 (yellow box) is provided on a public road or at a junction between one or more roads or at a junction between one or more roads and a light railway (whether the junctions are controlled by traffic sign number RTS 001, RTS 002, RTS 004 or RTS 013 (traffic lights), or otherwise) and notwithstanding any indication to the contrary that may be given by such traffic signs, a driver of a vehicle shall not enter, either partly or wholly, the cross-hatched area unless the vehicle can clear the area without stopping.

(2) Sub-article (1) does not apply where the driver of a vehicle intending to make a right hand turn at a junction enters the cross-hatched area for that purpose.

The exit has to be clear to enter a yellow box, as cdaly was saying, going straight or left means you will drive straight through. Turning right is not an exemption, it's just that even if your exit is clear, your ability to exit may be impeded, hence you can 'sit' on the yellow box. In the other two scenarios, you should never need too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

That's one of the worst I've ever seen, I'd 100% be going to the guards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

5uspect wrote: »
    This happened this morning. :mad:

WTF can you do with these people? They're a danger to everyone.

Holy f**k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

You were very calm about it, though I'm sure that was with the shock.

I'd of being telling the driver of that oil burning D4 tractor that you are going to call the gards and you have it on camera, instead the BMW driver just went on without a 2nd thought!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

That's one of the worst I've ever seen, I'd 100% be going to the guards

Is that covered by Donnybrook or Rathmines? Heads up, if it's rathmines, in my experience you'll need to be very persistent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

She just said ‘sorry’ a couple of times.

That's not good enough, there was nobody in the lane coming against her & she'd never have overtaken a car that close, also seemed a lot faster than the speed limit there. Someone like that needs to be taken off the road.

• Advertisement

Insane indeed - showing very typical Ranelagh - taxi driver at Nick's Coffee was a contributor to your near-death experience. Then a white van at Supervalu and the florist's van joining forces to make sure you don't get comfortable.
    Is that covered by Donnybrook or Rathmines? Heads up, if it's rathmines, in my experience you'll need to be very persistent.
    Donnybrook for Ranelagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 juicer

Got hit this morning.

Was heading in to town on the Howth road when an oncoming car made a right turn on to the stiles road and t-boned me. Someone had stopped to let him make the turn but he failed to check for bikes in the bike lane.

Had a good few close calls at this spot with traffic pulling out in front of me so was already being wary on approach.

Have it on camera and will be reporting the guards. Can't post link as am new to the site.

Got all his details except mobile number. He claimed he was disabled and can't use a phone. Surely that's not a thing if he's allowed drive a car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Lads with all the stuff about big claims in the media, if a car hits me can I make an injuries claim off their insurance?

Was talking to a lad today who was in a small enough tip in his car and ended up with bruising and soft tissue damage. He ended up with a nice cheque. He said he basically just gave the insurance company medical records and they offered him money.

Years ago I was knocked off my bike and ended up similar and never did anything. In theory could I have, similar to how it works of someone crashes into you when you are in a car?

juicer wrote: »
    Got all his details except mobile number. He claimed he was disabled and can't use a phone. Surely that's not a thing if he's allowed drive a car?

Sounds like a bit of a shaggy dog story - hope you're OK, and great that you have it on camera - should be a big help with his insurance company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

CramCycle wrote: »
    The exit has to be clear to enter a yellow box, as cdaly was saying, going straight or left means you will drive straight through. Turning right is not an exemption, it's just that even if your exit is clear, your ability to exit may be impeded, hence you can 'sit' on the yellow box. In the other two scenarios, you should never need too.

I'm not sure I quite understand this.

For a right turn, is the idea is that you may enter and sit on the box whilst awaiting oncoming traffic to clear BUT once that traffic has cleared, you must be able to execute the turn and move off the yellow box so that the junction is not blocked?

I'm not sure I quite understand this.

For a right turn, is the idea is that you may enter and sit on the box whilst awaiting oncoming traffic to clear BUT once that traffic has cleared, you must be able to execute the turn and move off the yellow box so that the junction is not blocked?

Pretty much, you can enter the box once your exit is clear and likely to remain so. For a left turn or straight through you go in and come straight back out. Potentially with a right turn, the exit may be clear but you may not be clear to make the turn due to oncoming traffic. Since your exit is clear, you can enter the box, and once it is not dangerous (ie no oncoming traffic), you can complete the maneuver.

• Advertisement

What's the response time on hearing back from the Garda? I'm waiting 8 weeks now since making a report via traffic watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

[ YOUTUBE]ZzqfbgfYYT4[/YOUTUBE]

I wonder could you make a 'vehicular assault' claim against her insurance? Citing the endangerment and stress etc. If nothing else, it would mean her insurance would likely go up next renewal...

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

Insane indeed - showing very typical Ranelagh - taxi driver at Nick's Coffee was a contributor to your near-death experience. Then a white van at Supervalu and the florist's van joining forces to make sure you don't get comfortable.

Is there legal provision to attribute a portion of blame to the taxi in that situation if the cyclist was hit? So many of these near misses and collisions are caused by the poor behaviour of "unrelated" third parties forcing people into dangerous situations. A dangerous driving or god forbid a manslaughter charge on some of these guys too would soon see changes in behaviour

benjamin d wrote: »
    Is there legal provision to attribute a portion of blame to the taxi in that situation if the cyclist was hit? So many of these near misses and collisions are caused by the poor behaviour of "unrelated" third parties forcing people into dangerous situations. A dangerous driving or god forbid a manslaughter charge on some of these guys too would soon see changes in behaviour

I have a vague memory of blame being apportioned in an international case where a cyclist was killed - Italy perhaps? I haven't heard of it happening here unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

i suspect not, nor should there be. you can't use someone else's bad behaviour as an excuse to drive badly yourself.

I'm clearly not saying that the BMW driver in this case is any less to blame if the cyclist was hit, what I'm asking is if there is or should there be a similar assumption of criminal fault assigned to the taxi driver in this case over and above a simple 'parking in cycle lane' if that action directly contributes to a criminal outcome...

• Advertisement
Advertisement