Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Poor V-brakes

• 24-10-2020 7:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭

I have a poor rear brake

When I pull the lever it feels soft spongy

I like the old school no slack, short pull and then locked up wheel.

I don't see any huge amount of slack

What could it be and

What is a good method for setting up brakes to make them powerful and responsive

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭cletus

99nsr125 wrote: »
    I have a poor rear brake

When I pull the lever it feels soft spongy

I like the old school no slack, short pull and then locked up wheel.

I don't see any huge amount of slack

What could it be and

What is a good method for setting up brakes to make them powerful and responsive

Thank you

Have you tried shortening the cable? You probably wouldn't see a huge amount of slack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Type 17

Was the rear brake always spongier than the front, or has it developed recently?
    On many bikes, the rear v-brake always feels spongier than the front, due to the seat-stays of the frame flexing more than the fork blades.

Setting the pads to meet the rim square-on will make the brakes feel firmer, but there’s a risk of squeal when you do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Sounds like you need new cable (which stretches with age) + New brake blocks too, as the rubber gets hard with age and looses grip on the wheel rims!

Bingo, your bike will stop like a new bike :)

Advertisement