Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dusk (new 90's FPS)

Options
  • 19-08-2017 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭

If Sonic Mania is retro then I think this game might just squeeze in. It's a retro FPS with Quake 1 era sort of graphics with a bit of Blood & Redneck Rampage as well. The first episode came out a couple of days ago (if you preorder the €20 game) and it's bloody fantastic. I'm completely hooked. There's an endless mode and multiplayer coming with the full release.

So what's good about it.. the movement. There's no fall damage. The y-axis is free when you're in the air so you can flip upside down ala Descent. Bunnyhopping and picking up silly speed is easy even for someone as cackhanded as me and can't really bunnyhop successfully in stuff like Half Life 1. There are no hitscanning enemies so you can dodge everything.

The level design is fantastic. It's got a touch of mazeyness about it with red, blue and yellow keys but it doesn't get too obtuse and there are plenty of landmarks making it a bit more straightforward than the usual 90's FPS.

I've heard the second episode is going to be Black Mesa inspired military base. Third episode is going to be more abstract lovecraftian vibe where you go to the depths.

Here's a decent video about it from gggmanlives.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭BGOllie

saw LGRs review of the early game. looks good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

That looks pretty great, hopefully it will come to the consoles.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,818 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It needs good level design. Fast gameplay and blocky brown graphics didn't define 90s shooters. It was expertly crafted levels and encounters. If this is just another series of arenas with dumb AI passing as level design I'm giving it a miss.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It needs good level design. Fast gameplay and blocky brown graphics didn't define 90s shooters. It was expertly crafted levels and encounters. If this is just another series of arenas with dumb AI passing as level design I'm giving it a miss.

It's probably the same set of reasons that the Sonic titles up to Mania got it so wrong, they placed the emphasis on fast gameplay and visuals rather than considering the level design.
    Also where the later Raiden games go a bit pear shaped, it really was a lesson in diminishing returns after DX.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

The level design is excellent. They've very much avoided the locked in a room till you kill enemies arena mechanic from Doom 2016 or Serious Sam as well. They've said it'll come to consoles eventually.

• Advertisement
Advertisement