Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rasberry pi 2, what do you do with yours?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Linky
    No roms of any kind in this download. You will need MAME 0.37b5 romset.

Boot vid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Quick question,
    I have the linux version of Super Hexagon downloaded, can I run that from the Retropie menu?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Great thanks Steve, will throw that on my 16GB card

eddhorse wrote: »
    Great thanks Steve, will throw that on my 16GB card

You'll need a 32GB card. Unless you are going to be messing around with resizing img files, which can be a right pain.

Steve X2 wrote: »
    You'll need a 32GB card. Unless you are going to be messing around with resizing img files, which can be a right pain.

Fine sheesh 32gb so, only have OSMC on that one

• Advertisement

eddhorse wrote: »
    Fine sheesh 32gb so, only have OSMC on that one

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Damn, gotta get myself a 32gb card...

Forgot to mention. I've got simple scanlines enabled on this setup of MAME.
    So if going in a real cab make sure to turn those off :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I got the RP2 displaying on the cab, now just to sort out the controls.
    That might be a while in doing!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I got the RP2 displaying on the cab, now just to sort out the controls.
    That might be a while in doing!

Have you an ipac/jpac?

They're plug and play with the Pi for mame games.

• Advertisement

Have you an ipac/jpac?

They're plug and play with the Pi for mame games.

I only have the old style Jpac with no USB, so it's no good for this.
    I have a Mr Chinasite adapter but it will need the cables wired into it, which will mean crimping to all controls.
    http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/2-player-USB-to-jamma-Arcade-control-Arcade-machine-accessories-game-machine-accessories-parts-for-coin/607318_451431388.html
    Might be better to just get a more modern Jpac and using that.

Now I'm cursing my old slow memory card/usb hub. It's USB2, and it's a class 10 MicroSD but this is writing at about 1MB per second...

I only have the old style Jpac with no USB, so it's no good for this.
    I have a Mr Chinasite adapter but it will need the cables wired into it, which will mean crimping to all controls.
    http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/2-player-USB-to-jamma-Arcade-control-Arcade-machine-accessories-game-machine-accessories-parts-for-coin/607318_451431388.html
    Might be better to just get a more modern Jpac and using that.

Yeah, nice and cheap. Seems ok actually.
    Crimping and connecting cables is handy enough, just monotonous work.
    Star Lord wrote: »
    Now I'm cursing my old slow memory card/usb hub. It's USB2, and it's a class 10 MicroSD but this is writing at about 1MB per second...

I have a cheap little adapter to plug into my USB 3 ports, works well for the fast SD and Micro SD cards. Must grab a prober USB 3 hub at some stage.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007PFQ0PC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

41OmhtpTF7L.jpg

Found one I had from before, and it worked much quicker alright.

Actually Steve, what's the root password on that image?

Nevermind... looked in the txt file... :D

Actually Steve, what's the root password on that image?

Nevermind... looked in the txt file... :D

Haha, yeah handy that text file i did with all the info :)

But if you do need proper root access(rather than user access as in the text file) you will need to stick in a few commands to get it(I don't see why you would need it, but just in case).

Login with the details in the text file.
    Run the "sudo rwenable" script as stated in the text file.

then type as below:
    sudo su
    passwd

Enter whatever you want the root password to be (twice), job done.
    You should then test it by logging switching back to the "pi" account.

su pi

then back to root

su root
    type in the new password to make sure it logs you in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Great little distro, credits to everyone who put it together. Works great and perfect for my next hack :)

Great little distro, credits to everyone who put it together. Works great and perfect for my next hack :)

I've also got another much more flashy distro I'm working on. Again, I've robbed bits from elsewhere and combined them, reworked some of the code and graphics.
    Will see how it goes and post a link here when its ready to go(sans the roms of course).

Always sans the roms ;) good work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Damien King

Forgot to mention. I've got simple scanlines enabled on this setup of MAME.
    So if going in a real cab make sure to turn those off :)

Hi, How did you manage to get scanlines going?

I'm running retropie, got most of it up and running. have mame4all and other stuff but cannot for the life of me get scanlines going...I've been going into the config menus, setting enable shader as "true" and pointing it to the shader i've been trying to enable - as tempting as it to download a premade version i'd really like to suss this out.

Any pointers?

• Advertisement

Hi, How did you manage to get scanlines going?

I'm running retropie, got most of it up and running. have mame4all and other stuff but cannot for the life of me get scanlines going...I've been going into the config menus, setting enable shader as "true" and pointing it to the shader i've been trying to enable - as tempting as it to download a premade version i'd really like to suss this out.

Any pointers?

Edit the mame.cfg file within MAME4ALL.

# display effect postprocessing: 0 none, 1 scanlines
    display_effect=1

Christ, anyone else remember using Mame back in the day, around 96/97, when it was all command line and you just had to get used to lovely options like that, fun times!!

Also, just saw the other day that Global Cafe, an internet cafe I frequented and Netscaped my lunchbreaks away back in the late 90's when I was spending my days off working in Gamesworld. Webrings, the site Video Game Classics, good times!

Edit the mame.cfg file within MAME4ALL.

# display effect postprocessing: 0 none, 1 scanlines
    display_effect=1

Thanks a million that helped, but not in the way i thought it would :pac:

Basicly I went to edit that .cgf file only to find it wasnt where it should have been, looks like I had made a bit of a balls of things the other night as some of the files that should have been in the pi (shaders, .cfg files etc) were in "my documents folder" on my PC!

Must have cut and pasted them while FTP'ing stuff over somehow. it was showing up in the transfer log

Anyhow if there was a time to see if I had made a decent backup this was it - used win32 disc imager to write the backup i made using partition wizard a few days ago and it worked.

I was then able to set and enable shaders for each system the same way i was trying to before and its all good now!

Harmony has been restored

I'll be sticking up another Raspberry Pi MAME distro later today. This one was a proper pain to get going :0/
    For a quick loading and simple interface the previous distro I shared is better, faster and cleaner. This new one is fancy pants fabulous, so a bit slower on a Pi(and if you're not using a Pi2, even slower!).

Anyway, nothing to crazy, just MAME4ALL and AdvanceMAME running on a modified front end(advmenu, mostly) with preview vids, snapshots and other artwork, as well as lots of options.

So anyway, a heads up. You'll need MAME romset 0.37b5 for MAME4ALL and 0.106 for AdvanceMAME. No roms included in this build(apart from 4 or 5 freeware ones for testing).
    Also, you'll need a 32GB or larger micro sd card(class 10 or better if you want a smooth interface and fast boot). The preview vids, images and whatnot take up about 10GB on their own. Which just leaves enough room to copy over both romsets(less the CHD's that are in 0.106).

What advantage is there in the 0.106 romset?
    What key games are added, would you know?

What advantage is there in the 0.106 romset?
    What key games are added, would you know?

Theres a quite a difference really. You can google what new games are there.
    0.37b5 is from 2000 and 0.106 is from 2006, so new games, better rom dumps etc. Plus the emulators themselves are very different(for better or worse).

http://wiki.mamedev.org/index.php/Previous_MAME_Versions

Really liked that one you'd uploaded previously, but might go back to trying to get RetroPi working, as I'd like to stick some other systems in there along with MAME.

Had some .36 ROMs that (mostly) worked on that build too.

Really liked that one you'd uploaded previously, but might go back to trying to get RetroPi working, as I'd like to stick some other systems in there along with MAME.

Had some .36 ROMs that (mostly) worked on that build too.

Worth doing if you are a PSX fan, I was impressed with how well its emulated - tested with crash bandicoot, micromachines v3 and urban chaos so far..... still not sure how it will react to to multi disc games though....

Wow, I had no idea the PS was so well emulated.
    I am a big fan of the formats shmups, and it's a good way of getting games not yet supported by Mame on the RP2, Raiden II and DX, running on the device.
    Hmm, seems like I've some work to do yet with the little computer before it's ready to go into the guts of my Candy

• Advertisement

Ok, here ya go. As it's my own work(mostly) I've given it a name, BerryCade :)
    I'll be releasing a version setup for trisync arcade monitors at some stage. But with a bit of work you can get it running on one anyway.

This is a ready to go Raspberry Pi image(use Win32DiskImager to write it to a MicroSD card). Just get your legally owned roms, copy them over and it should work perfectly. All the preview videos and artwork is on the image.

You'll need MAME romset 0.37b5 for MAME4ALL and 0.106 for AdvanceMAME. No roms included in this build(apart from 4 or 5 freeware ones for testing).

Also, you'll need a 32GB or larger MicroSD card(class 10 or better if you want a smooth interface and fast boot). The preview vids, images and whatnot take up about 10GB on their own. Which just leaves enough room to copy over both romsets(less the massive CHD's that are in 0.106).

Size: 25.8GB rar file.
    google-drive1.png

More info and any updates will be posted on my site:
    http://www.retrovia.ie/showthread.php/64791-BerryCade-Raspberry-Pi-based-frontend-for-MAME-(MAME4ALL-and-AdvanceMAME)

Advertisement