Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RGB Scart to Commodore 1084s Monitor?

• 18-08-2013 10:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭
    Master of the Universe

I've had an absolutely lovely Commodore 1084s upstairs gathering dust for ages. Originally the plan was to use it for consoles - however I came across a bit of a stumbling block. RGB in is via DIN connections.

One is an 8 pin TTL DIN and the other is a 6 DIN.

DSC01504.jpg

Anyone know if a female scart to DIN cable exists?

I came close by buying one of these, but it turned out to be a mini DIN connection :(

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Micromark-MM23290-CCTV-6-Pin-Mini-din-To-Scart-Expansion-Adaptor-For-MM23190-/300941118460?pt=UK_CCTV&hash=item46117d0bfc

Really would love to get it going as the picture quality is amazing.

Managed to get both the pinouts, but as you can imagine, buying a cable would be a lot easier than trying to make one up!

8 Pin TTL

connector_DIN_45326.jpg

1 Status computer
    2 Red
    3 Green
    4 Blue
    5 Intensity
    6 Earth (ground)
    7 H.syncronization or composite syncronization
    8 V.syncronization

6 Pin
    connector_DIN_6pin.jpg
    1 Green
    2 H.Syncronization
    3 Ground (Earth)
    4 Red
    5 Blue
    6 V.Syncronization

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

The TTL RGB is a digital input so no use to you.

You'll need a cable to connect to the 6 pin DIN, not sure if a sync separator is need or not though, probably just get away with lashing the composite sync into the H.Sync.

Seen some cables online alright for another type of 1084, one with a DB-9 input. But nothing for your type.
    Apparently the monitor is a rebranded Philips and the SCART socket can be retrofitted as its just the connector is omitted - probably best to start by making a cable though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

After I wrote that post, I took the two cables I'd previously bought and decided to do just that.

Stripped the head off the mini din > scart adaper and went to replace it with a standard din instead.

Wires didn't add up though. Mini din had 5 wires and the standard DIN only 4.

So I decided to disassemble the scart connector and try to go straight from there. That's when it got even more annoying, the mini 6 din > scart adapter was only wired for composite, no RGB pins! :(

So decided to scrap that idea and bought one of these.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1M-Monitor-Lead-Cable-for-Acorn-BBC-B-Micro-6Pin-DIN-to-TV-Monitor-RGB-Scart/171099243680?_trksid=p3984.m2045&_trkparms=aid%3D333005%26algo%3DRIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D128%26meid%3D677916081182075282%26pid%3D100018%26prg%3D1108%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D171099243680%26

I have a male to female scart adapter, so hopefully it'll just be a matter of attaching that to the above cable to turn it into a female jack.

Fingers crossed! If that doesn't work it'll have to be a cable made from scratch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

That one looks like it should do the trick alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

From this page, it looks like you will have to rewire the 6-pin DIN end of that cable

Master of the Universe

Thanks for the link!

Nothing is ever simple, is it? :(

• Advertisement

Looks like your best just to buy the components (or get one of these and a DIN) and build the cable yourself. Its fairly straight forward

Master of the Universe

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Looks like your best just to buy the components (or get one of these and a DIN) and build the cable yourself. Its fairly straight forward

Actually yeah, that one in the link is a good idea as I needed to figure out a way of running audio out of it anyway.

Maybe those guys would be able to fit a 6 din connection on it if I asked.

Most likely if you give them the pinout your after - bought from them before, nice lads

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Most likely if you give them the pinout your after - bought from them before, nice lads

Just to hijack this slightly..ive a phillips 883 monitor which is almost identical to this ( it has an rgb scart socket though) and I want to hook it up to an atari st ..any idea what cable to use?

Master of the Universe

Great to hear, will give that a try :)
    Dr Bob wrote: »
    Just to hijack this slightly..ive a phillips 883 monitor which is almost identical to this ( it has an rgb scart socket though)

Swap? :D

• Advertisement

Dr Bob wrote: »
    Just to hijack this slightly..ive a phillips 883 monitor which is almost identical to this ( it has an rgb scart socket though) and I want to hook it up to an atari st ..any idea what cable to use?

If it has a SCART input, then to eBay and search for "atari st scart". Lots of cables pop up that will do the job. Some have photo cables, those are so you can take the audio output from the Atari ST and plug it directly into say a separate amp or whatever you like

Master of the Universe

On a side point, they really are beautiful monitors and at 13 inches, really fit the bill for folks with no space for a CRT.

Master of the Universe

o1s1n wrote: »
    So decided to scrap that idea and bought one of these.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1M-Monitor-Lead-Cable-for-Acorn-BBC-B-Micro-6Pin-DIN-to-TV-Monitor-RGB-Scart/171099243680?_trksid=p3984.m2045&_trkparms=aid%3D333005%26algo%3DRIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D128%26meid%3D677916081182075282%26pid%3D100018%26prg%3D1108%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D171099243680%26

I have a male to female scart adapter, so hopefully it'll just be a matter of attaching that to the above cable to turn it into a female jack..

Balls! Tried this scart cable but no joy. The picture roles (sync issues).

I think the pin outs are completely different from the Acorn cable you got and the input to the monitor.

At Monitor DIN
    1 - Green
    2 - Horizontal Sync
    3 - Ground
    4 - Red
    5 - Blue
    6 - Vertical Sync

Your Acorn Cable DIN
    1 - Red
    2 - Green
    3 - Blue
    4 - Sync
    5 - Earth
    6 - RGB Switch

To prove it can you check while the picture roles, are the colours also funky? think you might also need some way to breaking up the RGB sync signal into a Horizontal and Vertical sync OR for sh*ts and giggles connect sync to either one :)Note, this prob won't work, but yea never know!

Master of the Universe

Yep, colours are funky. If there was some way of accessing vertical hold, you could actually get a steady picture. Doesn't seem to be a pot for it on this monitor though.

Contacted those lads on that website linked above to see if they can make up a cable.

I found a composite Snes cable last night so though I'd do some testing. The PC Engine was only giving black and white over composite - (fairly straight forward, the monitor only supports 50hz in non RGB modes and the console is outputting 60hz)

Something odd happened though. To test this, I thought if I ran my Snes over composite with the switch set to 50hz, it would give me colour - still in black and white though. You can see the signal changes (image compresses down in 50hz). But still no colour. Strange.

There was definitely colour via RGB though (so at least we know it's not a black and white monitor :D)

Advertisement