Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

N64

• 01-06-2011 12:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭

Hi guys i have just got back into my N64 and i am wondering i am missing any good games here is i list of the main games i have for it

Donkey Kong 64
    Zelda OOT
    Super Mario 64
    Mario Kart 64
    Star Fox 64
    Yoshis Story
    Pokemon S1
    Banjo And Kazooie
    Pokemon Snap
    Ridge Racer 64

What other good games can i pick up on the cheap for it ?
    Also how can i play usa carts on my pal N64 ?
    I was looking at Gex 64 i have it on the Ps1 but my disk is destroyed what is it like on the N64

I hope you guys can help me on this one

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, while not as impressive as they were originally are still great games to play imo. Rare were throwing out some really good games during the N64 era. Jet Force Gemini and Blast Corps are another two great games.

Zelda Majora's Mask - better than OoT if you ask me.

Body Harvest was good fun but recently played it again and it hasn't aged well at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Get one of those Passport device things so you can play imports.

Then buy Sin and Punishment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

o1s1n wrote: »
    Get one of those Passport device things so you can play imports.

Then buy Sin and Punishment.

Where can I pick up when of them and will I need to do much work on the N64 ot get it working

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

F-Zero X is a must, Space Station Silicon Valley is great and really unique, 1080 Snowboarding is pretty good too.

And I'll say Blast Corps again, one of the best, if not the best, games Rare ever made. Still fantastic to play.

Where can I pick up when of them and will I need to do much work on the N64 ot get it working

They're a pain in the neck tbh, but you do need one if you want to play games at full speed.

Consolegoods.co.uk usually have them in stock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Superman

>_>

Master of the Universe

They're a pain in the neck tbh, but you do need one if you want to play games at full speed.

Consolegoods.co.uk usually have them in stock

They only let you play games from other regions, they'll do nothing for the speed and letterboxing. That's controlled by the console.

Consolegoods.co.uk is indeed the only place I've seen them for sale! In fact they sell NTSC n64 consoles too.

So the best combo for the OP would be to buy an NTSC console from them along with a passport device.

So if i go for a NTSC N64 will it work on my TV via Av and will i need to get something to change the V going into it

Also any update on Gex 64

Oh yeah, my time with the passport was brief so I barely figured out what it did, other than annoy me :p I had an NTSC N64 as well, but sold it on because getting games for it was too expensive. It is noticeably better though

Master of the Universe

So if i go for a NTSC N64 will it work on my TV via Av and will i need to get something to change the V going into it

Also any update on Gex 64

Normally I would say 'buy an RGB scart cable and plug it into the RGB scart socket on your tv (usually AV1)'

But the n64 is one of the few consoles that unfortunately doesn't support RGB. :(

I remember Retr0 was saying you can use the S video out on an NTSC N64 and run it to a scart adapter and then to your tv...but does anyone know if this'll let you run NTSC games on a PAL tv in full colour similarly to RGB?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,870 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Most TVs will have an s-video port. I've not tried mine with a scart adapter so not sure if you get the full s-video experience or if it brings it back down to composite ****tiness.

If your TV supports s-video and RGB then you'll get colour on your TV and 60Hz if you use the proper cable.

I'd ask Rage in town if they have NTSC N64's. I got mine there for 20 notes.

You've a good few must haves missing from the list. There's the Geomon games, Pilotwings 64, Mischief Makers, and if you want to shell out Ogre Battle 64. That's justoff the top of my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hygro

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Pilotwings 64 is one of the most wonderful games I have ever played.
    I dug it out again in preparation for the 3DS sequel and was enthralled all over again.
    1080 is brilliant. Waverace too, just be prepared for a choppy frame rate at times.
    Speaking of which, F1WorldGP is excellent, really densely populated screen, but framerate remains an issue.
    Glover is insane, a cross between Mario 64 and Monkeyball!
    Gex sucks on very console it ever came out on, bar the 3DO and only then because I had finished everything else!

Nearly forgot the Mario sports series on the N64 was excellent, Mario Tennis and Mario Golf.
    And for an alternate take on the racing genre, Beetle Adventure Racing is Need For Speed for, like kids and Mickeys Speedway USA, a surprisingly close copy of Mario Kart as well as the under appreciated Diddy Kong Racing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭DL Saint

Just to add to what has been said, Super Smash Bros nd the Mario Party games are great fun (if you have mates ;)). Apart from that, Star Wars Rogue Squadron is pretty good also KnifeEdge isn't bad if you like Lylatwars type games. Also Rocket Robot on Wheels is a bit of a hidden gem :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭paperwork

gouche wrote: »

Body Harvest was good fun but recently played it again and it hasn't aged well at all.

Body harvest even looked bad back in the day... altho the feeling on constantly guiding your character through molasses seemed ok back then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Star Fox 64/Lylat Wars
    Jet Force Gemini
    Turok: Rage Wars (IMO the best multiplayer FPS on the console)
    F-Zero X
    WWF: No Mercy
    Killer Instinct Gold

All of the above are must haves for me, just make sure you have the memory expansion pack.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,870 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Star Fox 64/Lylat Wars
    Jet Force Gemini
    Turok: Rage Wars (IMO the best multiplayer FPS on the console)
    F-Zero X
    WWF: No Mercy
    Killer Instinct Gold

All of the above are must haves for me, just make sure you have the memory expansion pack.

All of these except Killer Instinct Gold. Terrible port of a poor game. Pity the first KI never got released but doubt it would be possible to give it a good port considering the amount of animation in that game including the backgrounds.

Also I'd like to recommend Turok 1 and especially Turok 2 which have stood up as much better single player FPS games than Goldeneye and Perfect Dark.

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Also I'd like to recommend Turok 1 and especially Turok 2 which have stood up as much better single player FPS games than Goldeneye and Perfect Dark.

Serious? Last time I played them I thought they were terrible.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Serious? Last time I played them I thought they were terrible.

Playing through 1 every now and again. It's surprisedme that it's not only playable but good fun and the frame rates are really solid and it's a fairly nippy game. Apart from the annoying jump puzzles that are way too hardit's not that bad at all. Turok 2 is even better but the controls take some getting used to and setting up, the N64 stick is just a bit crap for FPS games so needs to be set up like it was in Turok 1 to be enjoyable. It also helps that both games look great through s-video while Goldeneye and Perfect Dark look terrible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Blastcorps is one of those games that you've never seen before and, perhaps, will never see again.
    One of the few N64 games that were popular yet never found an analogue in the generations of console games that followed.
    Gods but I hated that missile carrier, that sound as you sweated sideswiping a building just in front...

• Advertisement

Blast Corps is the only Rare game that I really truly love on the N64 and have no faults with it. It's pure arcade thrills and as ciderman says there's nothing else like it. Definitely a must have.

Blast Corps is the only Rare game that I really truly love on the N64 and have no faults with it. It's pure arcade thrills and as ciderman says there's nothing else like it. Definitely a must have.

Just going to quote the fact he's agreeing with me, just in case it never happens again, he deletes the post and so on....

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Just going to quote the fact he's agreeing with me, just in case it never happens again, he deletes the post and so on....

I cant believe Retr0gamer is agreeing with someone :eek::eek:

Also will be take a trip to the Rage next weak to see if i can pick up any of the listed games on the cheap

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

It must be the sunny weather.

I thought I confessed my love for Blast Corp before? Think Ciderman is just looking for me to agree with him to feel good about himself :P

Also sunny weather doesn't have much effect on you when you are in a laser lab all day which has to block out any outside light getting in :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭johnboysligo

WCW vs nWo Revenge was one of my all time favorite multiplayer games.
    Fighters Destiny was a bit of a niche game but I enjoyed the points system.
    I hated blast corps thought it was terrible I just could not get into it, unique game yeah it just was not my thing.

Wasn't a fan of Doom 64. Controls weren't great and it was a bit murky, although I've not played it with the s-video.

Most TVs will have an s-video port. I've not tried mine with a scart adapter so not sure if you get the full s-video experience or if it brings it back down to composite ****tiness.

If your TV supports s-video and RGB then you'll get colour on your TV and 60Hz if you use the proper cable.

Feeding S-Video through a SCART socket is not part of the official specification and as such, some TVs don't support it. Those that do normally have to be specifically configured to accept S-Video. For example, my 21" Sanyo CRT has an option to change the AV2 SCART socket to S-Video mode but not for the AV1 socket at all.

• Advertisement

Best console port of Quake was on the Saturn, those guys at Lobotomy really showed everyone, including Sega just what that machine could do, their brilliant Duke 3D and the lesser known Exhumed are testament to that fact, not to mention...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

Mystical Ninja: Starring Goemon (it's a lot like Mario 64 and much better imo.) and it's sequel Goemon,s great adventure which is a more traditional 2-D affair. Konami really need to bring that franchise back.

I didn't like Ridge Racer 64. It didn't play like a proper R.R game and was developed in America.

Fighters Destiny was probably the best fighting game on the N64, but that's not saying much as it had a handful of fighting games.
    It was unique due to it's scoring system which was like competitive Karate and Judo.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭granty1892

WCW/NWO Revenge best wrestling game of all time..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

granty1892 wrote: »
    WCW/NWO Revenge best wrestling game of all time..........

Jericho and Scott Steiner were the most broken tag team of all time because the Lion Tamer and Steiner Recliner could not be be broken up by the opposition.

Advertisement