Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gamegear capacitors

• 24-08-2013 10:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭

Hey folks, any idea where I can source capacitors for a Game Gear? Going to chance a refurb on the one i picked up for a fiver. I read somewhere about a better screen for it too?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,250 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I've bought some cap kits from this guy (and he's assembled some for me too)

Really good chap

http://console5.com/store/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Nice one. Ordered the parts. now for the messy part. Has anyone ever done this before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

bombidol wrote: »
    Nice one. Ordered the parts. now for the messy part. Has anyone ever done this before?

Yeah I've done the kit a good few times, it ranges from very straight forward to a corroded mess, depending on how bad the leakage has been

the inside of my GG looks pretty clean actually, cant see any filth and leakage in there. Any ideas to this super duper screen replacement ive heard of?

• Advertisement

the inside of my GG looks pretty clean actually, cant see any filth and leakage in there. Any ideas to this super duper screen replacement ive heard of?

It requires additional hardware I'd imagine, I've not read much on the subject but it's not a simple swap out. The Nomad is different, in that you can replace the screen & take the video out feed straight off the mobo for it.

It begins!

It begins!

Looks like some caps have already been done, or have you started by the time you took the pic? One tip I'll give you, try keep the legs of the new caps as short as you can, enough to get the cap to fold over onto the mobo & no longer ideally. Putting the GG back together can be troublesome if there's caps where there shouldn't be :)

yeah had started by the time i took the picture. back breaking work this.

picture is brighter already but its still got those crazy lines running through it.

• Advertisement

ok, all caps replaced and its nice and bright. However, the screen lines are still there. I remember a mates GG from years ago having this issue. Any ideas?

AAANNNNDDDDD.. Its 80% bricked. Replaced caps, looked great, nice and bright. Stupid vertical lines were wrecking the image. Found some youtube videos that said heat up the silicone brick beside the video ribbon. Done it slowly slowly catchy monkey and now...
    Screen powers up for about 2 seconds when the unit is switched on, then screen dies.
    Absolute...Bastard.

Advertisement