Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Depixelizing Pixel Art (Wow!)

Options
  • 25-05-2011 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭

How cool is this? A couple of researchers have written an algorithm that takes jaggy pixely graphics and vectorises them smoooooooth!

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2385811,00.asp

I know it would be sacrilege to lose the jaggies, but I'd still love to see a MAME filter based on this! :)

The PDF on the link above was slashdotted (deader than dead), so here is a mirror of the report.

0,1425,i=303781,00.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Thats pretty cool, very nice indeed.
    It appears to generate new detail, extra information out of nowhere, cool.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

We've had filters like this for years that do the same thing. NeoRage and ZSNES have filtering algorithms that do the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    We've had filters like this for years that do the same thing. NeoRage and ZSNES have filtering algorithms that do the same thing.

Yeah they're aware of that (it's mentioned in the article) but this new method is meant to be specifically tailored for 8bit game image files, and should produce better results.

I personally hate those super sal/eagle filters. They make games look awful and varnished looking :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Another mirror for the pdf file http://easy-iphone-unlocking.com/download/pixel.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I did stuff like that years ago, used this [Link]

• Advertisement
Advertisement