Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade monitor repair

Options
  • 26-07-2017 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

Is there anyone in and around the Dublin area that repairs arcade monitors?
    The RGB colours on my arcade cab seem to be way off. I've tried adjusting the pots on the neck board, which works sometimes, but the issue is back after a few minutes. 
    To be honest, I'm scared to death of electrocuting myself and would much rather pay a pro to fix it.

Comments

You need to leave it on for 20mins before adjusting them.
    You wont get a shock unless you go at the red suction cup.
    What PCB are you using to set it up and what monitor is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Dexterm99

Yes and I'm petrified even to discharge it under the red suction cup!! I believe it's an Electrohome G07 based on the board. I have tried it with a JPAC and with a kung fu master pcb. The issue was always there even before I started using a JPAC setup.

not familair with that monitor.
    Do you have a remote board with a bit of length?
    thats half the battle imo.
    Picture is always dimmer with a jpac i think,but havent used one in years.

Yes, I've tried the remote board, but it changes the sync and axis of the image. I believe the problem might be because of brittle solder joints on the neck board but I couldn't be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Have you tried turning the screen knob clockwise (Usually the bottom one) on the flyback?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭BGOllie

have you a picture of it ? it would help.
    If you can correct the symptom briefly and it comes back though I would suspect caps loosing charge . monitor might need a recap and possibly a new flyback. it's not a hard job but discharging the monitor is the scariest part if youve never done it before :)

Many thanks, I'll try adjusting the flyback. I'll also follow brownfingers advice and wait at least 20 mins after powering it on to make adjustments.
    I'll see how that goes and if the issue returns, take the next steps and replace the caps or flyback or neckboard. 
    Is there anyone in Dublin that could do a recap or recommendations on a good place to buy a replacement flyback and/or neck board?
    I'll post some pictures this evening.
    BTW, I am not exaggerating when I say, I am petrified of discharging the monitor! :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭BGOllie

first time was terrifying ...

... and so was discharging the monitor :D
    giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Yeah it's scary the first time.

Whereabouts do you live?

What i had to do was ship the monitor chassis to a guy in the UK to fix my Wells Gardner monitor.
    But you would have to discharge the monitor and take the chassis out of the cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭Inviere

I don't think it's as bad as is made out, and every monitor I've discharged had auto-discharged anyway, so it's more like you're double (and treble) checking. TBH I'd rather hear the "crack", at least then you now it's done...the auto discharge monitors don't crack, so you're left wondering if you're about to hit a wall at 40mph :D

• Advertisement

Discharging a monitor is big anti climax, any I've done were self discharging so nothing happened :(
    Mark all the pots with a pencil or marker before you start and if something doesn't improve, move it back to the original setting.
    A big mirror is your friend

Eddhorse, I live in Saggart, close to the Citywest hotel. Who is the guy in the UK who repairs them? 
    Even if they are self discharging, I'm frightened that the capacitors would still be holding onto a hefty charge. I follow John's Arcade on youtube and he has a very good video on discharging arcade monitors, but I've never done it before so I'm extremely reluctant to do it. 
    Great advise Cathal. I'll get the marker out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭Inviere

Dexterm99 wrote: »
    Eddhorse, I live in Saggart, close to the Citywest hotel. Who is the guy in the UK who repairs them? 
    Even if they are self discharging, I'm frightened that the capacitors would still be holding onto a hefty charge. I follow John's Arcade on youtube and he has a very good video on discharging arcade monitors, but I've never done it before so I'm extremely reluctant to do it. 

Never assume it's a model that auto discharges, and even if it is, never assume the discharge circuit is working...always, always, manually discharge.

... and discharge again :-)

Dexterm99 wrote: »

Im in naas,
    I can show you how to do it sometime~?
    we can whip it out and you can send it off,
    Might be cheaper to buy a working serviced chassis of ukvac if budget is a concern.always nice to have a spare chassis

Thx Brownfinger. 
    I followed all previous advice and managed to improve the picture slightly last night :-) but now I've noticed that the horizontal and vertical picture are off, plus the left side of the picture has colour distortion. The pots on the neck board must have poor solder joints as a slight press on them will result in a change in the picture.
    I'm going to turn it back on this evening and see if it's held onto the changes I made last night.

some trouble uploading pictures

upload them here and post the links
    https://imgbb.com/

needs to be degaused for sure anyways

• Advertisement

Yep ! Get your brownfinger wand out.

Did you move it recently?

It was moved from the north into the back of a van so probably happened then :-( I've turned the machine back on over the past few days and none of the colour adjustments I've made on the neck board have remained. That definitely needs to be resoldered or new caps required. Degaussing, adjusting the vertical and horizontal hold plus the neck board issues - I'm thinking I'll just send off for a replacement monitor chassis as brownfinger suggested and work on the faulty chassis in my spare time.
    rebuilt-electrohome-19-go7-cbo-arcade-monitor-chassis.jpg

Best of luck finding a replacement.

I would recommend taking your out and sending to Grant Spain, aka Gunblade on the many UK forums below.

www.ukvac.com (UK)
    www.jammaplus.co.uk (UK)
    www.klov.com (USA)
    www.dragonslairfans.com (EU)
    forum.arcadeotaku.com JPN Goodies

Advertisement