Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PC Build for Mame Bartop Tips?

Options
  • 15-07-2017 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm in the process of building a PC for a MAME bartop. I'm looking to emulate pretty everything to a high standard including some modern fighters. Any ideas what type of components I should go for?

It's my first time doing this! I hear a lot of conflicting opinions on other forums using a dual core CPUs vs quad core CPUs for Mame and emulation in general as apparently newer builds and frontends take advantage of mutitple cores.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Hi all,

I'm in the process of building a PC for a MAME bartop. I'm looking to emulate pretty everything to a high standard including some modern fighters. Any ideas what type of components I should go for?

It's my first time doing this! I hear a lot of conflicting opinions on other forums using a dual core CPUs vs quad core CPUs for Mame and emulation in general as apparently newer builds and frontends take advantage of mutitple cores.

Cheers!

For emulation you want the best "instructions per cycle", currently that's Intel. If you can afford the i7 7700k it's the current king in that department. i5's & Ryzen are also very capable too though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

If you are just using it for Mame and not for newer titles like Steam games or maybe Wii then i would just use a raspberry pi.
    You would be mad to try squeeze in a more expensive PC build and then have to go through Hyperspin setup. Retropie is where it's at.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

eddhorse wrote: »
    If you are just using it for Mame and not for newer titles like Steam games or maybe Wii then i would just use a raspberry pi.
    You would be mad to try squeeze in a more expensive PC build and then have to go through Hyperspin setup. Retropie is where it's at.

I really wanna use demul to play some Naomi based games or games generally from mid to late 90s. I have the raspberry pi 3 and it does not cut it unfortunately. I used hyperspin before and it was a nightmare setting it up. I'll probably be looking launch box or retrofe.

I'll be trying to do this on the cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭con71

I have an i5 and an i7 and to be honest I notice zero difference. I can't remember what version either is but neither are heavy hitters.
    Having said that, both work extremely well. To be honest a mid rage i3 will work very well too.

I have Hyperspin up and running. It's a labour of love and I've fallen out of love with it. I spent more time tweeking and fiddling and no time playing.
    Lately I switched to LaunchBox. It works really well, is easy to set up and if you want to move your setup or give a copy to a friend you just copy the whole folder, drop it into its new location and off you go.

Advertisement