Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Capacitors on a original Gameboy

Options
  • 01-07-2017 4:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

Hi folks. Hoping and knowing someone here will have some knowledge of replacing the capicitors on the Gameboy... Having some sound and pixel loss and really do not feel confident to do it myself as it's my own original 1990 model and i aint going at it as id say most of you can understand... Anyway appreciate any help as always... Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

sugarman wrote: »
    Give it a go yourself, follow youtube tutorials... no better way to learn. Its not as hard as you think.

Gameboys are as common as muck and dont fetch much money at all, so no real loss if you do any damage.

But it's his original 90s Gameboy!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Apologies, meant to elaborate on that but didn't get a chance.

I've rendered consoles to pieces trying to do mods, replace caps etc - but there's something special about your original console from when you were a kid. It's like operating on your pet. I've always left it to the pros :D

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

o1s1n wrote:
    But it's his original 90s Gameboy!

Apologies for my stupid post...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭bennya

I wrote an article recently describing how to recap a Spectrum, you might find some of the tips useful.

https://spectrumforeveryone.com/technical/recapping-your-spectrum/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

Never used a soldering iron or would have the first clue about it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

I had the same issue with my Original gameboy. I went on adverts and bought a gameboy for as cheap as possible and then did the cap soldering on that as a dry run

Was pretty easy and a good way to have a go before you operate on your own original.

If all goes well, just sell on the guinea pig gameboy and get your money back :)

Advertisement