Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updates on Phantom Staff Let go last March 2014

Options
  • 03-06-2014 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭

Maybe it is a bit too soon after the event, but what are some of the people who were let go this year doing now?

I know that Richie McCormack has continued more frequently with a gig he first got back in 2012 - sportscaster for Newstalk. He certainly landed on his feet, but what about other former members of staff from this year?

Obviously, we would be more familiar with the presenters (Charlotte Flood, Richie Ryan, Ray McGowan, Laura Lee Conboy, Will St. Ledger, Eamon Fennell and Jack Hyland), but there was the other staff behind the scenes such as producer Lynn Cummins (was that her name?).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I am sure Mr. Maher won't mind me "bumping" this thread again as I have some fresh information!

Jack Hyland was on temporary licensed station The Rock tonight. It's the first time I heard him since he was let go last year.

Just for completeness, Charlotte Flood was reinstated this year on TXFM on Saturday nights. She is also a Production Assistant on Today FM.

Another update.

I heard Jack Hyland last night presenting the 80s/90s show on Radio Nova. This is on Fridays from 7pm - 10pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Gaeilgeoir

Another update.

I heard Jack Hyland last night presenting the 80s/90s show on Radio Nova. This is on Fridays from 7pm - 10pm.

I spotted Nova tweeting about Jack presenting this week, was good to see a familiar name :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Another update.

Must try to catch that. He was always one of my favourites on Phantom.

I have a new update.

I heard Laura Lee Conboy on Radio Nova tonight - she was standing in for Sinead Ni Mhordha, who is a former Phantom presenter herself.

Laura was with fully-licensed Phantom from the start. I did read something about an earlier involvement - not sure when, as I only heard of her from 2006 on. She was the presenter of Spiral Stares for almost all of its run - the last one being her last show with Phantom last year. For the majority of her time there, that was her only presentation role. Laura also had the position of Advertising Traffic Manager with Phantom for some years.

Great to hear her again - I always thought she was an under-utilised, rarely mentioned great talent.

• Advertisement

Radio Nova has become my replacement for Phantom, it can't compete but it's pretty damn good :)

Did you hear Pete Reed (ok, Simon!) is going to bid for a licence for 8Radio? (in direct competition with TXFM....)

A further check on Laura Lee Conboy tells me that she has been a Research Assistant with Newstalk since March 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Gaeilgeoir wrote: »
    Did you hear Pete Reed (ok, Simon!) is going to bid for a licence for 8Radio? (in direct competition with TXFM....)

That'd be cool. Do you know if it's for a national license or just Dublin? Would be great to have a national alternative/rock station. When I go home to the sticks, by far the best thing on the radio are the death notices :(

That'd be cool. Do you know if it's for a national license or just Dublin? Would be great to have a national alternative/rock station. When I go home to the sticks, by far the best thing on the radio are the death notices :(

Just Dublin I'm afraid

http://radiotoday.ie/2015/12/simon-maher-to-apply-for-txfm-dublin-contract/

Hi guys. I have another update.

I only noticed this in the last couple of days in the Rock and Metal Forum within the Music Forum on these Boards. Ray McGowan has been presenting his Metal Notes show on RTE's 2XM since August 25th 2015 - available on UPC, Saorview, DAB and of course the Internet.

Oh, and here's the link to that other forum:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057482138

• Advertisement

Here is another update.

Laura Lee Conboy is a presenter on 2XM. Her connection with Nova seems to have been a brief one.

Another update.

Will St Leger, who presented The Weekender on Phantom, continues to be an artist and campaigner. He also co-founded electronic duo Faune. Around the time he lost the Phantom gig, they released their first single.

Advertisement