Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

12-06-2019, 14:34   #31
Thelonious Monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoviGlitzko View Post
What a ridiculous comment this is. God help that the poor woman reminisced about a son she adored was taken from her too early.
I couldn’t care less about who she is or if she’s dead or not I just found it odd that the woman was all over the place going on about her son. No other dead pop stars mother did the same to me it seemed like she craved attention. Why do any of us even know who she is?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
12-06-2019, 14:39   #32
DEFTLEFTHAND

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk View Post
I couldn’t care less about who she is or if she’s dead or not I just found it odd that the woman was all over the place going on about her son. No other dead pop stars mother did the same to me it seemed like she craved attention. Why do any of us even know who she is?
Well I presume it's how she made her living, royalties off the estate.

It's not that uncommon, Rory Gallagher's brother does the same thing.

It's a good thing for fans, it means we get loads of re issues, unreleased material, greatest hits, books etc.

It keeps the artist's memory alive.
12-06-2019, 14:41   #33
Thelonious Monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFTLEFTHAND View Post
Well I presume it's how she made her living, royalties off the estate.

It's a good thing for fans, it means we get loads of re issues, unreleased material, greatest hits, books etc.

It keeps the artist's memory alive.
I wouldn’t be comfortable doing it myself. Amy Winehouses Da was milking it too.
12-06-2019, 14:43   #34
EmmetSpiceland

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFTLEFTHAND View Post
I believe Rory Gallagher’s brother was his manager, there’s a bit of a difference in him giving interviews.
(4) thanks from:
12-06-2019, 14:43   #35
SirGerryAdams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftyfilthy View Post
I don’t think that really happens
Maybe they mean in the urn (or grave)
Advertisement
12-06-2019, 14:43   #36
Ursus Horribilis

People handle grief differently. Maybe living her life though Phil's legacy was what kept her going. Never having met the woman or knowing much about her or her family, I wouldn't like to say whether she was lovely or a right rip. Things aren't always how they seem.
(2) thanks from:
12-06-2019, 14:50   #37
Thelonious Monk

I hope there's a thread about me when I die
(2) thanks from:
12-06-2019, 15:03   #38
Mad_maxx

Close relative of mine works in TV production and dealt with her several times, daft as a brush but charming
Thanks from:
12-06-2019, 15:04   #39
PARlance

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbleRouser2k View Post
I gotta be honest (and I hope folks'll be honest too when I go into the earth too) but I thought she was a horrible person.

She always promoted Phil, and for many, many years she spoke of being a single mother to Phil, and how difficult it was...

Never mentioned she had 2 other children who are still alive, a boy and a girl. Nor did she mention Phil was only told of one sibling, and not the other. (Phil's Sister shares a father with him, but the son is from a different relationship). Nor did she mention she never visited her grandkids, and didn't have a relationship with them.

And there was no mention of her other children in many obituaries... all about Phil. Probably the way she wanted it.

Cruel woman.
She had all 3 in England, as a single mother. Phil was sent home to be raised by her parents and the other two were put up for adoption?
Sounds messed up in today's world but a much different time back then for a single mother.

There's a history there that could lead to plenty of reasons for not mentioning them, not seeing grandkids etc. Maybe they didn't want her involved?
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
12-06-2019, 15:09   #40
Strazdas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursus Horribilis View Post
People handle grief differently. Maybe living her life though Phil's legacy was what kept her going. Never having met the woman or knowing much about her or her family, I wouldn't like to say whether she was lovely or a right rip. Things aren't always how they seem.
She did say in the recent RTE documentary she was very angry with Phil for the way he departed the world, I found that telling - a lot of mixed emotions.
12-06-2019, 15:16   #41
Thelonious Monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strazdas View Post
She did say in the recent RTE documentary she was very angry with Phil for the way he departed the world, I found that telling - a lot of mixed emotions.
I get the feeling she'd have said anything to get more air time.
(2) thanks from:
12-06-2019, 15:25   #42
Gimme A Pound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk View Post
I hope there's a thread about me when I die
Why would there be? Whatever reservations you have about Philomena Lynott (and I understand some, but I'd keep an open mind, personally) she was known and liked. We don't know who you are... unless you're actually Thelonious Monk risen from the dead?!
Thanks from:
12-06-2019, 15:37   #43
RabbleRouser2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARlance View Post
She had all 3 in England, as a single mother. Phil was sent home to be raised by her parents and the other two were put up for adoption?
Sounds messed up in today's world but a much different time back then for a single mother.

There's a history there that could lead to plenty of reasons for not mentioning them, not seeing grandkids etc. Maybe they didn't want her involved?
Well, she spun a far different story. Even in the VH1 Behind the Music series on Thin Lizzy, she stated 'he was her only child'.
To me, that's horrible.

And no, they tried to get her to talk to and meet her grandkids-she didn't want to. That's absolutely horrible. She didn't even want to talk to them, and some didn't find out they had siblings, or that Phil was their brother.
(3) thanks from:
12-06-2019, 15:39   #44
Grid.
Hosted Moderator

HMod: TLGH
R.I.P Philomena.....lovely lady.
Thanks from:
12-06-2019, 15:43   #45
Thelonious Monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Squeaking Ice View Post
Why would there be? Whatever reservations you have about Philomena Lynott (and I understand some, but I'd keep an open mind, personally) she was known and liked. We don't know who you are... unless you're actually Thelonious Monk risen from the dead?!
I never died baby
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion