Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

21-12-2018, 00:46   #1

Liberals who aren't liberal

There seems to be a trend of those who claim to be liberal but are completely intolerant of those who dont share their own world outlook. They are liberal as long as you agree with them but if anyone so much as strays from their own group think they are attacked, slandered and censored. Why are so many self proclaimed liberals in favour of tighter censorship laws and clamping down on freedom of speech, which is an essence of a true liberal society. Surely being liberal means supporting free speech whether you agree with it or not. The fact is liberalism is about supporting free speech and expression and opposing censorship which is the exact opposite to what so many who claim to be on the liberal spectrum have proposed. It seems liberalism has been hijacked by SJWs and college students, in favour of identity politics which is anything but liberal. Its time real liberals stood up and defended the true liberal values of freedom of speech and democracy.
(93) thanks from:
ahnowbrowncow, Assetbacked, Azatadine, Balanadan, Batrachotox, BeerWolf, biko, Bobtheman, boombang, Caroleia, chosen1, Chris_Heilong, corminators, Cyclonius, DaaaaaaaaaaN, danger mouse, Danzy, DavidLyons_, DM-BM, DS86DS, duffysfarm, Elise Slow Teeth, ELM327, engiweirdo, extrapolate, feargale, Filmer Paradise, Flex, freedominacup, Get Real, gozunda, Hande hoche!, Head_Hunter, Hector Savage, homerjay2005, Hulk Hands, incentsitive, InTheShadows, Iseedeadpixels, Jane Happy Autograph, Jayesdiem, JohnMc1, Juanito13, K.Flyer, Kivaro, kowloon, Lackey, leonffrench, Mantis Toboggan, MarkHenderson, Metroid diorteM, mikemac2, mojesius, mooman, Mr_Man2121, nullzero, Outlaw Pete, patmac, paw patrol, pburns, Pelvis Parsley, PhilOssophy, Red Sheds, RobertKK, robman60, Rothko, Ruraldweller56, Seething With Rage, seiphil, seligehgit, Sharknose, SirGerryAdams, skooterblue2, Snake Plisken, splashuum, Stephen15, Tabnabs, The Padre, TheDavester, TheDiceMan2020, TheValeyard, thoker, TomSweeney, tonycascarino, Venom, VicMackey1, vladmydad, VonZan, weemcd, woddensanta, Wojtek the Bear, Yamanoto, Yeah_Right
Advertisement
21-12-2018, 01:01   #2
YFlyer

Conservatives complaining about a guy kneeling down during the American national anthem, yet also complain thst YouTube blocking Alex Jones in relation to Sandy Hook.
21-12-2018, 01:07   #3
sk8erboii
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant z View Post
There seems to be a trend of those who claim to be liberal but are completely intolerant of those who dont share their own world outlook. They are liberal as long as you agree with them but if anyone so much as strays from their own group think they are attacked, slandered and censored. Why are so many self proclaimed liberals in favour of tighter censorship laws and clamping down on freedom of speech, which is an essence of a true liberal society. Surely being liberal means supporting free speech whether you agree with it or not. The fact is liberalism is about supporting free speech and expression and opposing censorship which is the exact opposite to what so many who claim to be on the liberal spectrum have proposed. It seems liberalism has been hijacked by SJWs and college students, in favour of identity politics which is anything but liberal. Its time real liberals stood up and defended the true liberal values of freedom of speech and democracy.
‘Wtf? Why dont these supposed liberals agree with my intolerant worldviews! Dont they see their hypocrisy in preaching interdependence while silencing me, someone who espouses tribalism? Im literally being oppressed cause they dont agree with me. HEEEELP’

Why are ‘conservatives’ actually just manchildren with persecution complexes?
21-12-2018, 01:08   #4
Realt Dearg Sec

There's certainly some of what you're talking about going on op, and it's very damaging. But I notice that on this site, and more broadly, people on the right and far right seem to describe anybody calling their statements into question as "shouting people down" or "censoring" or "silencing". In other words, any attempt to actually subject their free speech to scrutiny or dissent is characterised as an attempt to infringe on free speech. It is, ironically, a pretty effective silencing tactic, given the gradual ascent of right wing viewpoints on boards for example. People who disagree are always pre-insulted by someone saying "in before the libtards" or whatever. After a while, no dissent happens. That's not particularly conducive to a liberal society either, and nor is caricaturing your opponents as sjws.
Advertisement
21-12-2018, 01:17   #6
LETHAL LADY

It's all well and good being a liberal in a region of the world that allows it.
21-12-2018, 01:21   #7
Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Princess Consuela Bananahammock's Avatar

I have an issue wth the word 'liberal' being used as a noun.

You can have a liberal outlook on she aspects of society or economics, but non BE a liberal.

Same goes for conservative, to be fair.
21-12-2018, 01:28   #8
Realt Dearg Sec

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETHAL LADY View Post
It's all well and good being a liberal in a region of the world that allows it.
I've always wondered what on Earth people mean when they say this. I'd love an explanation.
21-12-2018, 01:29   #9
hill16bhoy

The OP just comes across as whiny and try hard.

It's the constant irrational whinging like that that has increasingly pushed people away from the reactionary right that held back this country for decades, and towards liberalism.

Every time David Quinn, John Waters or Breda O'Brien open their mouths or have an article published, they push people in a more liberal direction.

I say, let them keep doing that!
Advertisement
21-12-2018, 01:39   #10
LETHAL LADY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realt Dearg Sec View Post
I've always wondered what on Earth people mean when they say this. I'd love an explanation.
I'm replying to the op. I'd assume you are living in a part of the world where you are liberated. You can express an opinion and not fear the consequences?

Last edited by LETHAL LADY; 21-12-2018 at 01:54.
21-12-2018, 01:44   #11
Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Princess Consuela Bananahammock's Avatar

Quote:
I'm replying to the op. I'd assume you are living in a part of the world where you are liberated. You can express an opinion and not fear the consequences.
Depends on the opinion. If you're a Nazi, for example, and you expression here (as in Western civilisation) you'll soon be shut down, rightly or wrongly.

(And no, that is NOT saying Nazis are downtrodden or hard-done-by, in case someone feels the need to miss the point)
Thanks from:
21-12-2018, 02:02   #12
Realt Dearg Sec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo!! View Post
Quote:
Preach women and gay rights in Afghanistan and let me know how you get on.
It wouldn't go well. What does that have to do with having liberal views in Ireland?
(2) thanks from:
21-12-2018, 02:03   #13
Realt Dearg Sec

Quote:
Quote:
I'm replying to the op. I'd assume you are living in a part of the world where you are liberated. You can express an opinion and not fear the consequences?
Yeah, that's a good thing. What are you suggesting liberals should do?
21-12-2018, 02:05   #14
LETHAL LADY

Quote:
Maybe unclench? 😁
Thanks from:
21-12-2018, 02:15   #15
Realt Dearg Sec

Quote:
Quote:
Maybe unclench? ðŸ˜
Maybe!
But TBH the only people who say this tend to be people on the right, so I'm not sure what their point is: the whole point of having rights of freedom of speech is that we exercise it to progress. There's always some implication that there is some kind of hypocrisy going on because people say gay rights are good even though I'm some countries you could get in trouble for saying it. So again, not to be obtuse about it, but I genuinely don't understand what the point being made is.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion