Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Instant Pot Cooker 60% off on Amazon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Please share link for Cheat sheets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Feck. Two packs of chicken to use up tonight. Have a decent amount of veg etc. any ideas on recipes for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭vidapura

I still haven't bought one of these.

There's two sizes on amazon .. a 5.7l and a bigger one..

Any opinions on whether you'd need the bigger one?

Can I fit a 2kilo chicken in the 5.7L one?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Not trying to be a dick folks, but why would people make yoghurt as opposed to buying it?
    A lot of the cheaper yogurts are heat treated so the probiotic effect is gone or minimal. The instant pot has a setting of 8 hours but you can just reset and keep going for 24hrs which will be higher in probiotics, and fresh as can be. I also prefer the very tart/acidic taste of long fermented yogurt. Some lactose intolerant people can be OK with long fermented yogurt.

https://healthygut.com/articles/scd-legal-yogurt-is-the-difference-maker-dont-eat-it-at-your-own-risk/

If milk has built up for some reason its a good way to use it up.

vidapura wrote: »
    I still haven't bought one of these.

There's two sizes on amazon .. a 5.7l and a bigger one..

Any opinions on whether you'd need the bigger one?

Can I fit a 2kilo chicken in the 5.7L one?

I'd say the 5.7 litres would suit the vast majority I households. If it helps the other day I was able to cook a 2kg ham.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

anyone have a recommendation for a yoghurt starter kit and a good idiot-proof recipe?

This is a very comprehensive guide for IP yogurt. It's really a very simple process and generally very forgiving. Make sure you get a good probiotic yogurt to start with (I've used Fage or Duneen from Aldi) and then use your own after that. I use about 3 tablespoons for a 2 litre batch. I've read that less is more with a starter for some complicated reason.

If you use UHT milk, you don't have to boil or heat the milk first in the IP. Just pitch it all in the pot and press Yogurt - increase the time for a tarter yogurt. I usually do about 10 hours, but I like to use whole ordinary milk, so boiling first is recommended.

No need to get hung up on the final temperature of the milk after boiling, as long as it's not too hot. I've cooled mine to stone cold by mistake in a sink of cold water and it works just fine.

Please share link for Cheat sheets.

If you sign up for their newsletter in the link given, they will send you the cheatsheets.

There's a UK Facebook group for the IP that has loads of good info in their files. Free downloads of lots of recipes, hints and tips. Search Instant Pot Uk Community - you'll have to join the closed group, but you can always turn off notifications. I think it's sponsored by Instant Pot, but the members are very helpful if you have a problem or a query.

RoYoBo wrote: »
    This is a very comprehensive guide for IP yogurt. It's really a very simple process and generally very forgiving.
    That guide says to use the boil function with no mention of stirring. Then it says make sure to stir if using the saute function. Mine burnt to the bottom using the regular yogurt boil function, as I suspected it would, I just wanted to test to make sure it was a necessary step and think it is. Also it is very common to see people complaining that the yogurt boil function does not get it hot enough. So if you have a thermometer I would recommend using the yogurt boil function but keep stirring, and then when supposedly finished check the temp and turn to saute if it is not hot enough.

UHT does not need boiling as said, but the boiling would help thicken it. Also it is harder to find full fat UHT milk, Polish shops have it, dealz have semi skim UHT cheap enough. Evaporated (not condensed!) milk will also not need boiling and will give you incredibly thick yogurt, or you can dilute beforehand just to have it a bit thick.

rubadub wrote: »
    That guide says to use the boil function with no mention of stirring. Then it says make sure to stir if using the saute function. Mine burnt to the bottom using the regular yogurt boil function, as I suspected it would, I just wanted to test to make sure it was a necessary step and think it is. Also it is very common to see people complaining that the yogurt boil function does not get it hot enough. So if you have a thermometer I would recommend using the yogurt boil function but keep stirring, and then when supposedly finished check the temp and turn to saute if it is not hot enough.

I never stir and always use the basic yogurt Boil function - it has never burnt for me in either of my 2 pots - and I've been making it in the IP for almost 3 years. I do stir in the starter really well before leaving it to incubate.

I used to check the milk temperature after boiling and again when cooled and it was near enough correct every time. I don't check any temperatures now and often start incubation with stone cold pre-boiled milk. Yogurt is as thick as store bought but I do strain it to make a Greek version as it's our preferred type. Much as I love IP yogurt, if I had to faff around stirring and checking temperatures I think I'd be much less inclined to bother :o

Incidentally, I bought the so-called non stick liner as a spare in my first year and it is far worse for sticking at the bottom for everything than the stainless steel one! I now only use it with water and the trivet above it to cook spuds etc.

I never stir and always use the basic yogurt Boil function - it has never burnt for me in either of my 2 pots - and I've been making it in the IP for almost 3 years. .
    how much were you making? maybe that is the difference. I am not sure but I was likely doing 3.5-4 litres.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    how much were you making? maybe that is the difference. I am not sure but I was likely doing 3.5-4 litres.

I usually make about 2.5 litres, but have made 3.5 on occasion. Never more, so maybe that's the reason? All of the heating element in the IP is on the bottom, which affects slow cooking as well, according to some folk.

All of the heating element in the IP is on the bottom, which affects slow cooking as well, according to some folk.
    Yeah, I have used the "pot in pot" method. putting a smaller pot sitting in some water to overcome this problem. The yogurt can be prepared in jars and place in a water in the main pot for more even heating, it is also then less exposed to air than poured stuff. I have cooked various meats in jars too, if pressure cooked for long enough it will be sterile.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭vidapura

I'd say the 5.7 litres would suit the vast majority I households. If it helps the other day I was able to cook a 2kg ham.

Great stuff,
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Has anyone found a steamer bowl that will fit into this at all?

Just after watching this and might invest :)

I have one similar to this.

The one I got came from China and I had to saw off the side handles to get it to fit, but this seems to be the correct size as it is and has a handle to lift it out. I use mine a lot for spuds and other veg.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

An adjustable one should work

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Finally the price drop that a few here have been waiting on. Currently £59.99 on a lighting deal with early access for Prime members which is the lowest its ever been. Should be available to all in half an hour. Deal only lasts until midnight or until it gets sold out. Fill yer boots

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Instant-Pot-Electric-Pressure-Stainless/dp/B00OP26T4K/ref=gbps_img_m-8_10aa_6906868f?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_p=3816236d-cc45-4867-8a60-fba7112a10aa&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-8&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=14235985031&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=H023E7MGKH8QJ11ZMRGV

And if you dont have Prime this thread will explain how to get it for free for 6 months and then half price until 2024
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058028890

edit- no shipping to Ireland so you have to use Parcel Motel/Wizard

• Registered Users Posts: 9 fpatrick

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Finally the price drop that a few here have been waiting on. Currently £59.99 on a lighting deal with early access for Prime members which is the lowest its ever been. Should be available to all in half an hour. Deal only lasts until midnight or until it gets sold out. Fill yer boots

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Instant-Pot-Electric-Pressure-Stainless/dp/B00OP26T4K/ref=gbps_img_m-8_10aa_6906868f?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_p=3816236d-cc45-4867-8a60-fba7112a10aa&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-8&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=14235985031&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=H023E7MGKH8QJ11ZMRGV

And if you dont have Prime this thread will explain how to get it for free for 6 months and then half price until 2024

Parcel motel or wizard would be cheaper?

Product Dimensions 31 x 34 x 31.7 cm

But amazon could use a bigger box.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

Might be a glitch, but the regular price is listed as the same at the moment, £59.99 ("Non-Deal Price").
    I chose that and was able to have it delivered to Ireland. I do have prime, bit I doubt that's the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Bagged one, but odd that camel X 3 didn't alert me, and is still showing up at currently 89.99 on their website.

My poor bank account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

dos29 wrote: »
    Might be a glitch, but the regular price is listed as the same at the moment, £59.99 ("Non-Deal Price").
    I chose that and was able to have it delivered to Ireland. I do have prime, bit I doubt that's the difference.

Same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

dos29 wrote: »

Must have fixed it, showing "does not ship to Ireland" wherever I look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

Very tempted with the price drop but really interested in the smaller 3L model as I've very limited counter space. From previous Black Fridays, do the other models get price drops during the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Solaris10

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00OP26T4K/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3HHV1KQXDYXKQ&psc=1

choose Non-Deal Price £59.99 (Save 50%)

it's free delivery to Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

Solaris10 wrote: »
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00OP26T4K/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3HHV1KQXDYXKQ&psc=1

it's free delivery to Ireland

Goes to 90GBP in my basket then?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Solaris10

cython wrote: »
    Goes to 90GBP in my basket then?

dont click "View Offer" on Lightning Deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    Very tempted with the price drop but really interested in the smaller 3L model as I've very limited counter space. From previous Black Fridays, do the other models get price drops during the day?

Is not really that big and will negate your use for lots of other appliances. Do it. Get one

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Is not really that big and will negate your use for lots of other appliances. Do it. Get one

I bought one this morning but fear it'll go the way of my steamer and slow cooker..... given away or sold. So to head that possibility off, can you point us newbies to any good sites with recipes that you've actually used.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

bought one - it'll replace our little used slow cooker. I'm hoping the ease of being able to brown stuff in the pot and then use pressure to speed up the process means we'll use this one more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Duzzie

Solaris10 wrote: »
    dont click "View Offer" on Lightning Deal

Took a bit of finding, but got there eventually. On the way. thanks Solaris10

Advertisement