Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standing all day.. Recommend a brand of shoes

Options
  • 12-09-2006 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

I spend most of the day standing up and walking around (joys of being a teacher) and I need to get a new pair of shoes. I sometimes get sore ankles from standing for long periods so can anyone recommend a good, comfortable brand of shoes?

A friend has suggested the mens ecco range is very good, but I'd just like a few other opinions if possible. Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭cacio

try a pair of mbt's. they're a bit expensive but they're great for your back and posture and are comfy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,968 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I think the most comfortable pair of shoes I ever owned was a pair of dubarry's.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Muzzy

Working in bars, I stand all night too, found the Gore Tex Echo's to be the best for me, they water proof at the top so really handy when a pint falls on yer feet....

...Anyway, I always found Timberlands to be very good shoe as well, Gluck to the boots though when yer standing ALL day. Nice an light with plenty of support at yer arches.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

My better half loves her MBTs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

Trotter wrote:
    I spend most of the day standing up and walking around (joys of being a teacher) and I need to get a new pair of shoes. I sometimes get sore ankles from standing for long periods so can anyone recommend a good, comfortable brand of shoes?

A friend has suggested the mens ecco range is very good, but I'd just like a few other opinions if possible. Thanks!
    I'd go with the MBTs, I know a few people who have them and constantly rave about them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

My wife is a hairdresser and suffers as well. She swears by her MBTs as do a lot of her colleagues. They're not the best looking shoes though :)

There is actually an MBT thread in here somewhere BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Yeah i've also heard good things about MBTs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

doc martens used to be my fav, or clarkes. though i prefer the docs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Lovethoseshoes

Hi, I work for a company called Love Those Shoes and we sell Earth shoes - they have the same benefits as MBTs but these are attractive shoes and boots that can be worn all day and require no training (unlike MBT's).

The shoes work with a Negative Heel Technology, which is invisible from the outside of the shoe, which improves posture, circulation and muscle tone.

We have thousands of customers who have found relief from foot and back problems from standing on thier feet all day - have a look at the customer reviews on our website to see for yourself.

www.lovethoseshoes.com - there are lots of fashionable ranges on there... or call 0161 975 5380 for a catalogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Dr. Martens. Favoured by postmen worldwide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭FunkyDa

Currently breaking in a new pair of Doc Marten's(shoes) - oooh!, the backs of my heels!. Be worth it, in the end, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

DVS if you're allowed to wear them. I dont know if theres a teachers dress code or not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

When I was working, I'd have to walk around/stand all day. More often than not I'd just wear normal brown or black leather shoes, preferably soft leather (or worn in) with a nice sole. At first it can get quite sore but the shoes get softer and your feet get used to them.
    They also look a lot better than MBTs or Doc Martens (imo) but I guess that comes down to personal taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

As a fellow teacher I actually tend to just wear Dunnes loafer style shoes. I find them really comfy and as they're not too flat, I have some support. They do in 'eco' style range, natural shoes that mold to your feet or some such. I wear them too.

I'll probably invest in a pair of something more expensive later but for now they are plain, oh so comfy and cheap on my newly qualified salary grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

This is quite a zombie, closing this thread

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement