Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latency mystery

Options
  • 05-06-2020 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

I am with Imagine since a few years but recently had very poor speeds in the evening and especially latency issues, that made playing fortnite a real nightmare.

For Fortnite I found a solution by using my phone's mobile hotspot (with Gomo SIM) and latency occurrence were reduced by 90%. Happy days !

So I decided to try the new EIR mobile broadband solution thinking it could be a replacement of Imagine down the line, but at least have a back up in the evenings.

I got the modem router and SIM yesterday and found the best spot in the house - with download speeds varying between 15 and 40 Mbps and pings typically at 17ms but sometimes up to 40s or 50s. Much higher speeds than on my phone and similar pings..

All as I would have expected with a much better antenna in the modem.

Here is the mystery.. whilst playing fortnite I got constant latency warnings (nothing really bad in terms of lag though)

So why would this be different (worse) with a far better modem and same provider ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭grimeire

Mobile broadband has gone to s**t since lockdown thats probably the cause. I can barely even browse the internet most evenings since the start of lockdown.

Advertisement