Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus and the effect on Public transport

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

I'm starting to pick and choose who I stop for. I drive past groups of kids, and also anyone who I regularly see hanging around on the streets and is likely to be intoxicated. I'm not prepared to police people's behaviour on the bus, or tell them where they can and can't sit, so it makes sense to simply not deal with anyone who I believe is likely to cause an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I'm starting to pick and choose who I stop for. I drive past groups of kids, and also anyone who I regularly see hanging around on the streets and is likely to be intoxicated. I'm not prepared to police people's behaviour on the bus, or tell them where they can and can't sit, so it makes sense to simply not deal with anyone who I believe is likely to cause an issue.

This is a must but others and you need to do your bit to help yourself and others.....

People are seriously slow in cases and if the seat wasn't there they would still try to sit there....

Control needs to be putting out messages to Driver's on numbers that we can carry and so on...

It's nothing about been a company man or whatever it's about keeping distance and us all safer as the biggest issues are if I want it done safely and right but some others don't this is all I hear back off passengers.....

Get on pay or tag and do so like there was a fire behind you, sit down and keep distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

This post stinks of BS but maybe one of ye can enlighten the situation.
    Gardai surely can't just walk onto a tram and inspect people's phones and cameras, to see if they're breaking a Luas byelaw? It just sounds ridiculous to randomly stop a tram and search passengers phones. Seems like a complete invasion of privacy. Obviously if they were sure some serious crime had been committed, fair enough, but not just random searches..

This post stinks of BS but maybe one of ye can enlighten the situation.
    Gardai surely can't just walk onto a tram and inspect people's phones and cameras, to see if they're breaking a Luas byelaw? It just sounds ridiculous to randomly stop a tram and search passengers phones. Seems like a complete invasion of privacy. Obviously if they were sure some serious crime had been committed, fair enough, but not just random searches..

Can't see that happening to be honest what they could do though is confiscate if they believe it would have information or footage of a crime.....

db had this exact thing on their site but it was removed, stated you must give prior notice if taking footage and pay a fee of €600 and the bus couldn't be in service.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I think that's more so, for controlling their image rights when someone is looking to film. Not just joe public recording things as it happens.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Can't see that happening to be honest what they could do though is confiscate if they believe it would have information or footage of a crime.....

db had this exact thing on their site but it was removed, stated you must give prior notice if taking footage and pay a fee of €600 and the bus couldn't be in service.....

It is one of those bylaws that cannot possibly be enforced. Food and drink is also banned but no one obeys that either as it cannot be enforced. How the hell is a driver supposed to know if someone is filming or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭91wx763

As someone who deals with the great unwashed travelling pubic, well we are now briefed/trained on how to behave when the greatest form of "attack" nowadays is to start filming you when you are just going about doing your job. When it happens to me I politely inform the cameraperson that my agent will send a bill for £160 a minute for me being star of their video.

Someone has put that comment to bed on that facebook page, seems the gard took offence to being filmed, but the poster is apparently covering their arris/saving face by saying their rights are being violated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,756 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

IE have a timetable published for Monday which they will not be operating so check by end of week for changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Gardai have no right to access your phone unless they have a warrant obtained from district court to do so. I was a reserve Garda many moons ago and you are not even obliged to unlock the phone for Gardai if they ask. They often try to get those they suspect of drug dealing to unlock their phones when searching them or even when they've arrested someone for having a bit of gear, which the the dealers never ever do in my experience. Guards then seize those phones under proceeds of crime act and get them technically examined, but no way could they do that to random folk on public transport.

That facebook post is absolute BS.

Gardai have no right to access your phone unless they have a warrant obtained from district court to do so. I was a reserve Garda many moons ago and you are not even obliged to unlock the phone for Gardai if they ask. They often try to get those they suspect of drug dealing to unlock their phones when searching them or even when they've arrested someone for having a bit of gear, which the the dealers never ever do in my experience. Guards then seize those phones under proceeds of crime act and get them technically examined, but no way could they do that to random folk on public transport.

That facebook post is absolute BS.

Obviously someone looking for a reaction....

• Advertisement

As a passenger I'm having to tell others to back t f off.....

2 junkies getting on I had let 2 on ahead of me, next these 2 run or waddle fast to the door, I'm already getting on and giving space to the others, where do these two end up.... Yes in my shoulder.....

I wasn't surprised or shocked but he and she moved back when I told them to cop the f on.....

I'm sorry I don't tend to curse in uniform but I'm thinking of my family and my safety and unfortunately I have to take this seriously and stand up and say no.....

To all them that are ripping the signs off the seats you can go do one too.... Scum...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Terrible news coming out of London about the bus drivers who have died .

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-52212143

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭ITV2

As a passenger I'm having to tell others to back t f off.....

2 junkies getting on I had let 2 on ahead of me, next these 2 run or waddle fast to the door, I'm already getting on and giving space to the others, where do these two end up.... Yes in my shoulder.....

I wasn't surprised or shocked but he and she moved back when I told them to cop the f on.....

I'm sorry I don't tend to curse in uniform but I'm thinking of my family and my safety and unfortunately I have to take this seriously and stand up and say no.....

To all them that are ripping the signs off the seats you can go do one too.... Scum...

Or do as I do.. drive by them, plenty of undesirable on the NCR yesterday.

ITV2 wrote: »
    Or do as I do.. drive by them, plenty of undesirable on the NCR yesterday.

No this was me using the bus as a passenger as I was heading to garage, if I see people to be trouble I will not carry....

Funny thing is they all huddled together upstairs and the driver kept telling them to sit apart.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭91wx763

Davidth88 wrote: »
    Terrible news coming out of London about the bus drivers who have died .

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-52212143
    One in Bristol as well. A very nice bloke too. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-52090349

Seems to be more out and about these last couple of days. I wonder has anyone noticed more using public transport these last couple of days aswell as there definitely seems to be more cars out and about. Also noticed a few buses whilst out walking within the 2km that seemed busier than they were a week ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Motherof123

GT89 wrote: »
    Seems to be more out and about these last couple of days. I wonder has anyone noticed more using public transport these last couple of days aswell as there definitely seems to be more cars out and about. Also noticed a few buses whilst out walking within the 2km that seemed busier than they were a week ago.

Yeah the bus is a little busier this week than the previous week. So annoying the people seem to sit in the nearest available seat and the whole bus could be empty. And when I try to get off someone is on the bus and usually they should back off and leave me pass but they don't!
    People are still not getting the social distance courtesy like back off to leave me pass please coz I have no other way of passing.
    I feel sorry for the bus drivers.
    They have a lot to deal with.
    Two guys got on the bus I was on and pretend coughing saying I just got back from Italy skiing it wasn't funny tbh
    They sat right in front of me. Stench of alcohol and it was 11am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

IDK most buses I've seen whizz past my house has nearly everybody following the layout.

Been on busses twice since the signs went up. twice selfish unknowing stupid bastards sat in marked off spaces. One was persistently coughing. got off the bus. How can you have a reasoned argument with somebody who might kill you. I, apparently am an essential worker. With diabetes.

I would happily let Darwin take them.

And **** handshaking Boris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

dresden8 wrote: »
    Been on busses twice since the signs went up. twice selfish unknowing stupid bastards sat in marked off spaces. One was persistently coughing. got off the bus. How can you have a reasoned argument with somebody who might kill you. I, apparently am an essential worker. With diabetes.

I would happily let Darwin take them.

And **** handshaking Boris.

If you see a bus like this, should you call the Garda?

Not even joking. Plenty of them standing around on overtime at the moment... Plenty of check points.

WOuld not be a big thing for them to pull the bus over and have a word with a few peeps.

• Advertisement

Not even joking. Plenty of them standing around on overtime at the moment... Plenty of check points.

WOuld not be a big thing for them to pull the bus over and have a word with a few peeps.[/quote

You could and you could also contact the bus company too....

I'm sick of bad bastards coming on spitting on the floor and removing the signs that cost good money, they aren't there for a laugh.....

Having to tell people to move as a driver and then a passenger and also having to tell others to back off...

WOuld not be a big thing for them to pull the bus over and have a word with a few peeps.[/quote

You could and you could also contact the bus company too....

I'm sick of bad bastards coming on spitting on the floor and removing the signs that cost good money, they aren't there for a laugh.....

Having to tell people to move as a driver and then a passenger and also having to tell others to back off...

I wont be telling anyone to move personally. Just inviting stress and trouble.

Unless they are hanging around the cab that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

Twice yesterday, downstairs was 'full' and I politely requested that anyone sitting in a marked seat go upstairs and find one that doesn't have a sign. They ignored me, so I switched the engine off. I was running early anyway, so it suited me.

"We're only going a couple of stops"

"I'm going nowhere until you get out of that seat"

They moved eventually.

I wont be telling anyone to move personally. Just inviting stress and trouble.

Unless they are hanging around the cab that is.

I wouldn't approach anyone either they know exactly what they are doing breaking the guidelines they are basically just ignorant so approaching anyone now who doesn't get it you would only be drawing trouble on yourself. Just move away yourself if at all possible I have gotten off the bus at an early stop and walked the rest of the way I also open the window on the bus to ventilate. I don't drive so I have no choice but to get my essentials using the bus once a week.

This was always the risk, lockdown can never be sustained for a long period of time and I suspect Government will have to ease restrictions within 2 weeks or it will be ignored and guards will not be able to enforce.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    This was always the risk, lockdown can never be sustained for a long period of time and I suspect Government will have to ease restrictions within 2 weeks or it will be ignored and guards will not be able to enforce.

Restrictions will not be eased before the middle of May at the earliest as the rate of infection is not falling far enough, fast enough

• Advertisement

I wouldn't approach anyone either they know exactly what they are doing breaking the guidelines they are basically just ignorant so approaching anyone now who doesn't get it you would only be drawing trouble on yourself. Just move away yourself if at all possible I have gotten off the bus at an early stop and walked the rest of the way I also open the window on the bus to ventilate. I don't drive so I have no choice but to get my essentials using the bus once a week.

Where did I say I approached anyone, I've had scum bags near burst right through me getting on or off and have no issues telling them to back the fcuk off....

We need to seriously look after ourselves and unfortunately we have to look after those travelling as some are too thick to do anything....

Yes as a passenger I've had to tell people to move and have no issues doing so....

Look at it this way they can day what they want, put in a complaint etc and this will continue like before where bogus ones are put in...

I'm a driver which I've made clear and in no way do I hide this...

If it's not safe of course get off but I'd be making this clear to the driver as ive noticed some don't have a clue or care..... I care and I want to help as best I can and also im thinking of my family and friends ..

18 is max on bus with dual doors.... 6 lower and 12 upper....

Should be a row between each and at the front or rear only one on the full row of 5....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,431 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Restrictions will not be eased before the middle of May at the earliest as the rate of infection is not falling far enough, fast enough

August weekend would be my next possible window that the restrictions have a chance of being dropped. Failing that October bank holiday weekend they will have no choice but to reduce the restrictions as the economy won't be able to afford the health system.

Where did I say I approached anyone, I've had scum bags near burst right through me getting on or off and have no issues telling them to back the fcuk off....

We need to seriously look after ourselves and unfortunately we have to look after those travelling as some are too thick to do anything....

Yes as a passenger I've had to tell people to move and have no issues doing so....

Look at it this way they can day what they want, put in a complaint etc and this will continue like before where bogus ones are put in...

I'm a driver which I've made clear and in no way do I hide this...

If it's not safe of course get off but I'd be making this clear to the driver as ive noticed some don't have a clue or care..... I care and I want to help as best I can and also im thinking of my family and friends ..

18 is max on bus with dual doors.... 6 lower and 12 upper....

Should be a row between each and at the front or rear only one on the full row of 5....

Read back previous messages I didn't say you said I was quoting someone else

I think the quotes are a bit mixed up there.

Any hoo.

We need signs to inform the skulls to use the middle door. Would take alot of stress outta the days work.

Any hoo.

We need signs to inform the skulls to use the middle door. Would take alot of stress outta the days work.

Seen few buses with printed off signs... Drivers must have done themselves or got inspector in garage to do....

• Advertisement

Seen few buses with printed off signs... Drivers must have done themselves or got inspector in garage to do....

I saw an SG with a sign printed off there a few weeks ago

Any hoo.

Yeah they did. Most of the buses in cork don't have a middle door. But it would be a great idea for the ones that have for exit

I saw an SG with a sign printed off there a few weeks ago
    that'd me my handy work GT89

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Well spotted Mother.....;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Today has been the quietest day so far....

Carried hardly anyone but it's been the busiest at shops and parks I've seen so far.....

Some bad backstards out there ripping all the signs off the seats...

I suggested they staple them on.. some pax are right cupid stunts.

Doesn't matter they will break anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,245 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Today has been the quietest day so far....

Carried hardly anyone but it's been the busiest at shops and parks I've seen so far.....

Some bad backstards out there ripping all the signs off the seats...

I took a trip to the supermarket today. Passed the 15/15B termini and there was 3 buses parked up on each route, and another 15B almost there. Are they making up time that much?

I took a trip to the supermarket today. Passed the 15/15B termini and there was 3 buses parked up on each route, and another 15B almost there. Are they making up time that much?

Yes, no traffic, near all green lights, no passengers at all for most of the route....

During the week was busier though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Yep, even on a Saturday Service. I pulled into Charlestown yesterday at about 5 on a 40 and there was 7 of us waiting to go back out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Posting derogatory nick-names to others or groups of others is not acceptable on this forum, neither is attempting to circumvent the swear filter by substituting letters from words, since it's obvious what you really meant to say when you are doing this.

In the Easter spirit and because it's a difficult time for everyone I'm going to use my discretion and leave it at a thread warning and no further action, but if it happens again I'll have no choice but to get the cards out.

Please do not reply to this post.

Edit 13/04/2020: Discussing moderation decisions is against the charter and will result in a sanction being applied. If you wish to discuss this post, please PM me.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I was just thinking that I hope DB and the NTA are recording all these much faster journey times and can use this data to prove just how much of an impact traffic has on public transport.

Imagine if we had no cars at all in the city center, how fast and reliable the bus service would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

bk wrote: »
    I was just thinking that I hope DB and the NTA are recording all these much faster journey times and can use this data to prove just how much of an impact traffic has on public transport.

Imagine if we had no cars at all in the city centre, how fast and reliable the bus service would be.

Imagine the howls of outrage in Irish media though. Remember how Frank McDonald described the reaction of the private car lobby to the QBC on the Donnybrook Road as the German reaction to the Normandy landings on D-Day. Now ramp that up to eleven.

It would be desirable to change our public transport pattern from double decker buses travelling up to twenty miles to and from the city centre to a rail based one, but that might be a bridge too far for Official Ireland to contemplate, especially on the Navan corridor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Why aren't the buses on a Sunday schedule? There is nobody on them !

Idbatterim wrote: »

Dublin Bus are on a Sunday schedule.

Not sure about GAI

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

devnull wrote: »
    Dublin Bus are on a Sunday schedule.

Not sure about GAI

DB are on a Saturday plus schedule. At least for now.
    Idbatterim wrote: »

Because a Sunday schedule doesn't start early enough to get essential workers to work in the morning.

Perhaps a Sunday plus schedule, with early morning departures would make sense.

And actually if that comes to be, then that should become the new normal Sunday schedule when things go back to normal. Lots of folk need to get to work early on a Sunday these days.

bk wrote: »
    DB are on a Saturday plus schedule. At least for now.

Assumed the poster was talking about today, where DB's site says they are on a Sunday schedule?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

devnull wrote: »
    Assumed the poster was talking about today, where DB's site says they are on a Sunday schedule?

Because its a Bank Holiday, its always Sunday service.

Jeez, I totally forgot that today is a national holiday. I'm working all weekend anyway and the days are starting to blur together!!

• Advertisement

People Before Profit TD Bríd Smith claims some Bus Éireann drivers plan to strike because of safety concerns.
    A spokesman for the National Bus and Rail Union says a strike now would be "utterly inopportune" and says Bus Éireann is sourcing temporary safety shields to address drivers' concerns.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/td-claims-bus-eireann-staff-may-strike-over-coronavirus-safety-concerns-993736.html

Advertisement