Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alterations to public footpath

Options
  • 08-04-2020 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at a property at the moment which has had alterations done to the from garden.

This would originally have been an enclosed front garden with a path and pedestrian gate in the wall to the footpath, and some houses on the road still have this configuration.

This particular house has had the front wall opened up to form a driveway. The footpath outside the drive has been lowered to form a 'ramp' for the drive.

Question is would such works have required planning permission? If permission was required and not sought where does that leave things now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,036 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-roads-and-traffic-road-maintenance-and-street-repair/modify-footpath-allow

The Council "dish" the footpath but not before permission has been obtained and the appropriate fee paid. The link is to Dublin City Council's procedure which is quite detailed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

CiboC wrote: »
    I'm looking at a property at the moment which has had alterations done to the from garden.

This would originally have been an enclosed front garden with a path and pedestrian gate in the wall to the footpath, and some houses on the road still have this configuration.

This particular house has had the front wall opened up to form a driveway. The footpath outside the drive has been lowered to form a 'ramp' for the drive.

Question is would such works have required planning permission? If permission was required and not sought where does that leave things now?

The creation of the vehicular entrance would have required planning permission.
    The footpath dishing is outside your boundary and the council carry out these works at the cost of the home owner.

If you want to PM me the address
    I can check the planning history.

Advertisement