Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DB sacks driver over 10 claims seats were defective

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

john boye wrote: »
    Without wishing to start another union debate, what was the union's position on him?

Apparently they are refusing to sit down with him 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Vic_08 wrote: »
    If the picture in that piece is typical then I would say the driver is 100% correct, there is no way a seat offset like that is an acceptable place to spend any length of time driving and even a brand new seat installed like that will cause posture problems.

medium_image.JPG

The story makes much more sense if this is the issue, incorrect alignment rather than faulty seats.
    what if the seat isn't incorrectly aligned as DB says it isn't but the cushion has been shifted (from people getting in and out) in the photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Vic_08 wrote: »
    If the picture in that piece is typical then I would say the driver is 100% correct, there is no way a seat offset like that is an acceptable place to spend any length of time driving and even a brand new seat installed like that will cause posture problems.

medium_image.JPG

The story makes much more sense if this is the issue, incorrect alignment rather than faulty seats.

If this was the norm there is not a chance in hell that DB would have won that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Had a very recent sg yesterday and it's seat was exactly like that...... I was sitting quite far to the right so the steering wheel was to my left....

Felt weird driving it and it had a very good seat fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

An additional problem with incorrect alignment is that it ultimately results in faulty seats, as the cushion collapses to one side because of how people are forced to sit.

Again though, after 2 days?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

Again though, after 2 days?

Doubt it. More like two years. I know nothing about that specific case. I was referring to the seats generally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭LRNM

Wow that seat alignment is terrible. How hard can it be to get a professional drivers seat right? I've been driving large vehicles and vans for years and never seen something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

LRNM wrote: »
    Wow that seat alignment is terrible. How hard can it be to get a professional drivers seat right? I've been driving large vehicles and vans for years and never seen something like that.
    I've driven buses for private operators where it felt like the driver's seat was an afterthought and shoehorned into place. It often requires the driver to sit bolt upright because the seat can't be reclined due to the bulkhead behind.

Another problem (in manual buses) is that the gear stick position is too far back. Changing gear all day with a gear stick that's almost behind you is not pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I've driven buses for private operators where it felt like the driver's seat was an afterthought and shoehorned into place. It often requires the driver to sit bolt upright because the seat can't be reclined due to the bulkhead behind.

Another problem (in manual buses) is that the gear stick position is too far back. Changing gear all day with a gear stick that's almost behind you is not pleasant.

why is automatic not standard - cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

loyatemu wrote: »

Older coaches....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

loyatemu wrote: »
    Presumably they are cheaper but also many operators like them - a bit like the way some truck drivers (especially British) liked to operate crash gear boxes.
    Older coaches....
    It's probably about 15 years since I've driven a bus but, at that time there, was an occasional new manual around (as well as older ones).

Ironically, because I have an unrestricted D licence, I tended to draw the short straw and would be assigned a manual as most drivers were ex DB/BE and were restricted to automatics.

Advertisement