Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

July 11th - 12th very very hot

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

But that's hardly a proper and official station just data sent in by
    a weather enthuasiast like you to help with meto climate data...

If we were to count official stations there has not been.. that's
    is as far as i know anyway..

Wrong again ;)

Take a look at the map of climatological stations
    http://www.met.ie/aboutus/weatherobservingstations/climap.asp

Boora and Belderrig are both marked.

My station is an official station. installed by Met eireann. I'm not on map as the map is a bit out of date :rolleyes:

I'm not talking about my AWS and the auto updating on my website, but the Stevenson's Screen, raingauge and Campbell Stokes recorder. I take readings once daily at 9:00GMT and send data in after months end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Yea i know i seen those cards :D

Anyone i was just abit annoyed with the

WRONG :p

Ever seen this before

nat-tomorrow.gif

Yes another scorcher, though see breeze will keep temp down with me. But I may just squeeze highest temp of year which is currently 25.3°C on June 17th.

Even better is the 15.6hrs sunshine recorded today :D

You're not the only one that gets abit annoyed with what's put up here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Willem D wrote:
    The external temperature gauge in my car driving home from work said 32.5C btw here in Limerick.
    Not relevant, your car's figures will be thrown out by a lot of factors.

Be wary of using the NRA figures as they are often taken, um, next to roads where they suffer from the direct effects of vehicles, localised summer smog and the dark surface of the road, but I laugh at:

N72 Fermoy
    Jul 11, 22:07
    Road temp 32.7° C.
    Moist :D

Yea it hasnt been an expectional event in my back yard
    just 24.5c today. But the fact that we have had 2 days with totally
    totally blue skies and perfect sunsets is amazing!

It still 20.2c here now!

And im sorry if i annoy you just tell me what annoys you and i'll try and sort
    out my problems :D;)

I really think it will be hard to get 30c tomorrow partly because the
    heat will spark of some showers during the afternoon. The latest
    model output gives a dood amount of Energy available for storms
    tomorrow and suggests possible TS's later tomorrow across the mids..

A later surprise perhaps! ;)

I think im dying...

Woke up at 9am and could hardly open my mouth the room was like
    some sort of oven. I walk out the back garden and it is amazingly
    warm. Definately by far the warmest it has ever felt here at 9am.

The temperature is a crazy 23c and it feels even warmer :eek: :(

I think im dying...

Woke up at 9am and could hardly open my mouth the room was like
    some sort of oven. I walk out the back garden and it is amazingly
    warm. Definately by far the warmest it has ever felt here at 9am.

The temperature is a crazy 23c and it feels even warmer :eek: :(

Totally the same here. 24C!!

I think my 09z high temp is going to be shattered. Its 2C warmer that this time yesterday and this after a low of 9.6C

Not to mention the fact there isnt a breath of wind!!..

And 23c is a reserved estimate. I took that from my thermometer
    that is in 24/7 shade...

My AWS which is in a bush and not in direct sunlight
    in the garden is currently recording 27c!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

Willem D wrote:
    The external temperature gauge in my car driving home from work said 32.5C btw here in Limerick.

Ya mine reached 30c at 3pm yesterday in Limerick city. Ye weathercheck guys are wrong! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭Darwin

I got 33.4 yesterday from a sensor I have outside. This was after 5pm though - I think the sun is catching it as it sets. Still yesterday was definitely the warmest so far, I wonder what today will bring :)

Well @ 10am it's approaching 25c :eek:

24.6c

Its a possibility temp may have already maxed here with a good breeze kicking up. I still think I'll get to about 26C later

Was 24.4C, down to 24.0C at 09z

Easily my highest 09z temp on record (since 1999)

no wind at all here yet, hardly a leaf moving and 25c
    I think its gonna get very hot here too :eek:

Looking up towards lug na quilla,the convection has already started with very high what I call hiroshima clouds with a dark grey angry looking base.

Earthman wrote:

Looking up towards lug na quilla,the convection has already started with very high what I call hiroshima clouds with a dark grey angry looking base.

I can see those clouds from here.

Temp falling as the wind is more from east and from sea. now 23.5°C

Yep temp is stationary here @ 24c.. due to a breeze picking up ;)

Kilkenny will get 30c today i feel ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Yesterday the temperature around my area peaked at only around midday with both Dunleer and Drogheda NRA stations stuck at around 25.5. I hope the temperatures will rise more but even as I type there is a force 3 or 4 breeze outside. :( Car thermometer did record 30 for the first time but that is pretty inaccurate.

It's interesting to note that most of the temperatures above 22 are along the east coast according to the NRA at 10 am. Has this got to do with the way the sun rises?

It's interesting to note that most of the temperatures above 22 are along the east coast according to the NRA at 10 am. Has this got to do with the way the sun rises?
    Two factors there,yes the sun but also inland is cooler at night so it takes longer to get started getting warm.

Also in the morning at first, the coast has no sea breeze as the inland hasnt heated up enough so it's equalised.

Mist and Low Cloud seemed to build across much of the country
    during the night and burned away from the east first..

Kilkenny 25c @ 10am
    Dublin 24c @ 10am

Sea breezes are now kicking up and thank god for them or i mite
    of baked to death! Living 500m from the sea has its good points
    on a day like today :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

its almost 26c outside now altho its starting to get a bit hazy and clouds are poping up fast.

Yea there should be some interesting showers inland after 3pm! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

NRA are showing road temperatures over 41 degrees.
    Does this have any impact on driving?
    Also I see from met eireann that Kilkenny maxed out at 29.2 yesterday followed closely by Claremorris at 29 with third place going to Clones at 28.6

Yea there should be some interesting showers inland after 3pm! :D

Looking towards the Wicklow mts, heres some babies being formed :D

CIMG0117.JPGCIMG0118.JPG

Apologies for the poor shots-blame the camera not the photographer.

The wind here was in the north for a while and very light nudging that cloud south but is East now off the Sea and quite strong.
    Temps dropped back to 23 now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

its almost totally cloudy now, things started great but its definitely feeling cooler over past 20 minutes as well, if this is countrywide we wont get as high as yesterday and definitely not that 30c.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Theres a bit of a breeze about as well, which is nice, it was just as warm as yesterday earlier, but the breeze makes it cooler

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

I'm photosensitive, anyone got any idea how much longer i'm gonna be sitting in my bedroom with the blackout curtains up?

Im going ever so slightly insane as you can imagine. :(

Quite a while possibly if high pressure reestablishes itself next w/end...

And that is looking very likely plus after an initial cool down another re heat is likely, ie a re run of what we have now.

Doesnt look like too much rain from weak weather fronts later in the week either at the moment(except from localised thunderstorms/showers set off by the heat) as the azores high is desperately trying to do a 1995 on us.

temperature has dropped back to 22c from the 26c we had an hour ago, hopefully this clould will break up again and the warm, sunny weather returns soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Def hotter today than yesterday.

Clonmel is way out in the lead at the mid 27s at the mo...

Earthman wrote:
    Two factors there,yes the sun but also inland is cooler at night so it takes longer to get started getting warm.

Unfortunately my site blows that theory up in smoke.

04z 9C
    05z 10C
    06z 16C
    07z 22C
    08z 24C
    09z 24C
    10z 23C
    11z 23C
    12z 22C

A lot of convection over Wicklow mountains to my west and a lot more hazy today.

• Advertisement

12z
    Kilkenny 28
    Birr 26
    Casement 26
    Rosslare 19
    Malin head 15!!

So, the big question is...

Will Ireland break the 30c mark today... me think so.

Met.ie

Kilkenny at 28c.

Was 26c this time yesterday...

Its up from 26c that met.ie were showing an hour ago

Hmm... 31c or 32c possible IMO if a shower doesn't break out is a real possibility... still 2 hours to go till 4pm hot point of the day...

Mothman wrote:
    Unfortunately my site blows that theory up in smoke.

04z 9C
    05z 10C
    06z 16C
    07z 22C
    08z 24C
    09z 24C
    10z 23C
    11z 23C
    12z 22C

A lot of convection over Wicklow mountains to my west and a lot more hazy today.

Heh! mothman, you live in a very special area,I'd call you an exception that proves a rule.Although I dont have figures,I doubt very much if the overnight low here was anywhere near 9c,I'd guess 13 or 14c

Kilkenny looks like one of the fewer places today on target for 29 and maybe 30c

Heh! mothman, you live in a very special area,I'd call you an exception that proves a rule.Although I dont have figures,I doubt very much if the overnight low here was anywhere near 9c,I'd guess 13 or 14c

I'm in the midlands and the temps were definitely in excess of 15/16c last night.
    I awoke at 4am this morning and with 4 windows in the bedroom open it still felt like a warm May day!! I love the warm days but find the warm nights a killer...not that we have to many of them. :rolleyes:

the eastern third of the country has cooled down considerably in the past hour or two with temperures between 18c and 23c, it was way warmer this morning, but the midlands and west are now far hotter typically 24c-28c

There appears to be a very bright echo on the radar down over offaly somewhere.
    It looks intense and just getting going.
    It could be anaprop/false or it could be a very heavy shower

Meanwhile(and I know some dont like the NRA stations) but Enniscorthy is at 27.4 whilst Arklow is at 20.5-thats a big difference for 20 odd miles!

Macroom in Cork and a few others have reached 28.

The hotter plume of air seems to be more in the south midlands right down to cork at the moment, thats also where a lot of the action shower or thunder wise may be should it kick off.

Big black cloud coming to Portlaoise from Roscrea/Birr area... loonk menacing.

Bhoy has the humidity gone up too...

• Advertisement

Met.ie now showing Kilkenny at 29c (14:00 UTC)

some dark clouds around me and its dropping rain outside, no thunder, about 23c

radar is pretty benign at the moment except for that one spot west of portlaoise and over offaly somewhere-more will probably appear soon as from now untill 8 or 9 pm would be peak danger period for those.
    Quite a few over Northern England where there has been sferics.
    None of that over Ireland as yet.

looking at met eireann's website atm for 1500 shows the cooling off quite well across the country, Kilkenny down from 29c to 26c with Shannon and Birr at 27c and everywhere else is lower than that, so I think were past the peak of this heatwave and the 30c never happened. Its still very warm for most people with most places hopefully getting 24c maybe 25c tomorrow and about 20c on the coast.

I dont know where you are getting that impression Gonzo, there are loads of places that are warmer today than yesterday which doesnt equate to a cooling off.
    Certainly some midland sites are experiencing a drop in temperature due to a build up in convection cloud obliterating the strong sun, but it has nothing to do with a general cooling down from a cold front.
    That hasnt arrived yet.

Bloody hell what a difference an hour makes.
    It's gone dark as night here now and there is a huge shower just west of me.
    Wind has gone flat calm.
    It may just slide south to the west of me as it is 6-8 miles away but I can see the top of the wall of cloud and its full of hiroshima's :D

Extensive line of showers now along the southern half of the country.
    We had about a half hour of constant medium rainfall from that.
    No thunder though

The temperature has pegged back significantly under all this convection cloud and shower actvity and its been very dark given the time of day.
    18c here now which is a 7 degree drop on mid morning!

The convection seems to have capped the temperature at 29 leaving the elusive 30c eluded.
    The summers got lots more punch in it yet though :)

Kilkenny maxed out at 29.2°C, same as yesterday!

No where else reached 28°C

With me it was same max as yesterday as well with 24.4°C, and this before 10am.

Max at Malin head just 16.0°C

we could well have another heatwave around end of july or during august which could top the current one, ive read reports claiming of a great end to july and most of august.

• Advertisement

it looks like the forecasted cooler weather is not really gonna happen now, its meant to get slightly cooler here over a next few days but only slight, temperatures could still reach a high of 21c to 24c anywhere in decent sunshine between now and the middle of next week from the looks of things which tbh is a bit more pleasant for most of us than 28c and 29c. currently 19c outside.

Advertisement